Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 30 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #581

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
looks great, Kevin.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #582

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
Ok then, it sounds unanomous...microfiber cloth it is. I sometimes get hairbrained ideas, but check with those who have more experience before I experiment. I like the spray bottle idea. Tapeing off and covering the windows would prevent any overspray.
Thanks for your input.
Alice
It really goes on as a thin layer - not like paint. It is easy to wipe it around windows and other obstacles. And since it is clear, any mistakes are not readily visible.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #583

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
It occurs to me that a lot of floor wax devotees have either very small trailers, or very long arms, or they don't do quite all the top. I can think of no way to avoid the arms' length application of elbow grease to the process of cleaning and removing oxidized gelcoat from a trailer roof, whether with rag, sponge, or one-handed rotary buffer deployed as a scrubber.

The first and only time I did our Burro, I found working off a ladder and attempting to reach the center of a wet slippery roof wasn't particularly easy or safe. I settled on a section of scaffold alongside with a duckboard (plywood offcut roughly 2-1/2 X 5') projecting from the scaffold plank out onto the central Pullman section of the roof. This is the same system I've used to replace fans, vents, air conditioner gasket, and several other small thru-hulls atop the trailer. When cleaning, I moved this duckboard at least three times from end to end on each side. I would not want the bearing end of it to mark up newly cured floor wax nor do I want my feet up there spreading dirt and the sweat of my brow falling in wet wax.

The upshot is that when applying Red Max, I work to the centerline of roof from the scaffold plank with the PolyGlo chamois on a painter's extension pole and then move the scaffold back and continue to the bottom of the shell still retaining the pole extension where possible and detailing around windows, tail light recesses, vents and thruhulls with a small handheld chamois also provided by PolyGlo and practically equivalent to a microfiber rag. I wet out both chamoises in a paint roller pan and certainly err on the dry side when wringing out the hand chamois. I wear at least one nitrile glove on the hand that wrings out the chamois to avoid the absolutely shiniest clear nail polish you'll ever see on a man.

As a result of my experience, I feel compelled to ask if anyone in the happy microfiber faction has ever slipped and put a nice big handprint in their fresh wax or found themselves using an elbow or a knee as an applicator. I'm assuming that those who have either not bothered with what can't be seen from the ground or fallen to their death will not answer. The awkward roof situation I've described also prevails when applying conventional buffing waxes and employing a bonnet buffer. Given the general level of engagement with the minutiae of the mechanical arts that I see here every day, I am amazed that these difficulties are never mentioned???????

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #584

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I did our 13' Lil' BigFoot with a ladder and leaned over the roof to do both sides of the centerline (about a 24" wide path) from one side only.

At least with the ZEP product, a quick respray and wipedown seem to take care of any handprints. The polimer (sp?) coating seems to reblend just fine.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #585

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I never had any difficulties with my scamp fifth wheel. I just leaned a ladder up against a window so I didn't get dirt on the fiberglass, and scrubbed 6" over the centerline the first side, then went to the other side. Waxing it was just as easy. I put 5 coats on in under 4 hours. I did wear gloves, that just seems to be common sense.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #586

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Pipe insulation cushions ladder against trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Ladder cushions.jpg  
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #587

Name: Perk
Trailer: Formerly U-Haul
Arizona
Registry
When I did my 1985 16Ft U-Haul VT I had no challenges as you mentioned. I was able to repeatedly hand scrub and rinse up to the center line on both sides without a problem using a simple 6 ladder as seen in one of my pictures on this thread on entry #442. When I was initially scrubbing and washing, I sometimes held the center line ridge to give myself some extra leverage to scrub. But when I applied the 5+ coats of ZEP Wet Look I took my time using a damp micro rag to prevent runs and was able to polish up to the center ridge and never had a challenge . My VT still looks marvelous almost 9+ months later.
Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #588

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
2 words Sham Wow!
Seriously i agree with what Jack said and i have used both. The Chamois is superior for the final coats to get that killer shine. The Poly Glow applicator has its advantages but to save $ you can find synthetic Chamois at any auto parts store in the car was area relatively cheap, add a 4" wide 3/4 " or thicker board about 6 to 10" long depending on your grip,some 1/2" thick foam, wrap the chamois around so the seam is on top moisten with water and you are good to go. Being an ex pack rat Chemist i had an old squirt bottle that i used to feed the wax to the pad when it became dry, worked well, you could also use a trigger spray bottle just as easily. or you can mist a small area and use the pad to spread it out, finish up (5th +coats)using long sweeping light strokes for the best shine.
Michael J
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #589

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
I

As a result of my experience, I feel compelled to ask if anyone in the happy microfiber faction has ever slipped and put a nice big handprint in their fresh wax or found themselves using an elbow or a knee as an applicator. I'm assuming that those who have either not bothered with what can't be seen from the ground or fallen to their death will not answer. The awkward roof situation I've described also prevails when applying conventional buffing waxes and employing a bonnet buffer. Given the general level of engagement with the minutiae of the mechanical arts that I see here every day, I am amazed that these difficulties are never mentioned???????

jack
I will fess up to all of the above, but will also brag that my VT has RedMax on everything but the AC Shroud and if I had Jack's setup I would have even gotten to that.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #590

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Has anybody used this stuff on vinyl floor?
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #591

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Has anybody used this stuff on vinyl floor?
Never thought of that!
Old 04-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #592

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Michael J -- Did you wash the Sham Wow before using it? I bought a HUGE box many years ago and still have alot left. If they work, I can finally use them for something else.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #593

Delaware
This works for me.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00189.jpg   DSC00176.jpg  

DSC00185.jpg  
Old 04-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #594

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
Michael J -- Did you wash the Sham Wow before using it? I bought a HUGE box many years ago and still have alot left. If they work, I can finally use them for something else.
Actually I bought the Poli Glo applicator. My experience with "as seen on TV" products is limited to Yoshi blades. When I ordered I was offered even better upgrades and as the excitement built as I ordered more and more with only having to pay shipping and handling . I wanted to know the total before committing. Unfortunately you were committed before you could get that info. I give them credit for the way they did it and chalked it up to lessons learned and have not repeated my error again. The blades were OK just paying 2X the base cost for shipping grated on my German penny pinching heritage.
To answer your question , I would rinse and wring before using. If they work you may offer to other members for free, all they have to do is pay shipping and handling(wink, wink)
Old 04-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #595

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
This works for me.
Totally impressed. Only thing better would be a mobile man lift with a fiberglass cage and safety harness. I think OHSA may want to discuss your set up , at least 3 or 4 violations that I can see not including the MSDS sheets for RedMax that you probably don't have on file with your on site safety plan.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #596

Delaware
Gee Mike, I thought everyone else had bucket lifts. I guess long arms work. Maybe pogo sticks also. I noticed Perk admits to one hand for the ship and one for himself on that centerline ridge.

jack
Old 04-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #597

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
I noticed Perk admits to one hand for the ship and one for himself on that centerline ridge.

jack
Same with me, the issue was the step ladder wanting to walk as my drive is on a decent slope, the bath vent was my life line but the other hand smeared my just applied swath.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #598

Name: Perk
Trailer: Formerly U-Haul
Arizona
Registry
Very nice set up! I am envious. When you finished one section on the trailer did you move the trailer or move the scaffolding?
Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #599

Delaware
Wheels stick in the the yard. With a helper I could probably horse the scaffold around to the other side but I take the braces off and reassemble in the driveway. Pretty badly pitted setting out in the weather for forty years. Last summer I put a coat of Penetrol on the frames to stop them from rusting thru. Has to outlast my ability to set it up plus ten minutes.

jack
Old 04-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #600

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I do not see the black plastic surrounding your area in case of toxic spills. If any of that stuff were to run off and get into a local stream we may have to bring in the Feds. Nor do I see an aspirator in use, I'm afraid the inspectors may have to shut down this operation!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poliglow