Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 33 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #641

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
What you're looking for is a caulk. Butyl is sticky... like bubble gum and it doesn't "flow." I might put a caulk around the vents, but I believe in not just blobbing stuff over the top of old caulk and would NEVER put it around windows. The belly band caulk is for aesthetic purposes and keeps dust, dirt, twigs, general grim, moss and mold from sticking between the body and the belly band. It's not used to seal anything. If you need the belly band to seal something, you've got a bigger problem than caulk can fix.

I'd clean off all the old caulk around the top of the belly band, use blue painters tape on the body and the top of the belly band leaving just a small area for the caulk to flow... then use this: Proflex caulking sealer

Hope this helps and others may have more suggestions.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #642

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Thanks for your advice, Donna. He wanted to put caulk around the windows, vents, and belly band but after trying it out, he realized that it was going to undo a lot of the cleaning we had done over... SEVERAL ... days. The good news is we got most of the old silicone and caulk off of her. The other good news is we scrubbed and scrubbed her so most of the hard water and rust stains are no more. We used Bar Keepers Friend and several green scrubbies. BKF tends to start to stick if you let it dry on there so we washed her off really good and then worked together to scrub her down a final time while rinsing her more quickly. After that, he took a big scrub brush and dipped it in some water/bleach/soap and scrubbed her again. I took a spray bottle with bleach and used a toothbrush to do some spot cleaning.

The challenges we had were mostly associated with water dripping down the old windows and vents, leaving potentially staining runs. We decided to prevent this by drying her off with clean towels. The windows tend to hold water and run longer than anything else so while she was air drying, we continued to circle her and wipe any water away.

Once we were satisfied with how dry she was, we applied 6+ coats of the floor wax and WOW! She looks like someone else's trailer -- so shiny and bright and white! After applying the wax, we sat out there cleaning up and marveled at how amazing she looks. She still has some cracks and some stains and some silicone (we can still scrape this off) but she looks wonderful and WAY better than she did yesterday. Or the day we got her, for that matter.

For the future and for others embarking on this adventure:
1. I bought two sponges for wax application. One sponge was covered in microfiber cloth and one was covered in a shamois type material. The microfiber worked wonders and the other was a fail, leaving streaks and runs. I know it's been said before (and I should have just listened to the advice) but I'll say it again: MICROFIBER IT!
2. Bar Keeper's Friend is amazing. Yes, you still need to scrub away at stains but it really, really works. We managed to get pain, grease, oil, and even some silicone/caulk residue/clumps off with just BKF and green scratchy scrubber things. Use it. And when you're done with your egg, you can use it in your kitchen and bathroom.
3. Bleach works but not really well. I used it on the front of her where there was a lot of black grease and other dirt. I sprayed it on and then spread it around with a clean cloth. Again, she doesn't look brand new, but the white really came out and I'm pleased as punch.

I think that's it for now but if I think of any other lessons we learned, I'll follow up later. We still have silicone and caulk to remove but we can scrape that off any time in the future. It's a tedious job and my hands are stiff from the last two days of it. I was going to post before and after pics but TRUST ME AND EVERYONE ELSE -- you'll start with a flat, dull, chalky white trailer and end up with one that's bright and shiny! It was very much worth the effort.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #643

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
........but TRUST ME AND EVERYONE ELSE -- you'll start with a flat, dull, chalky white trailer and end up with one that's bright and shiny! It was very much worth the effort.
Seems I read this a lot.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #644

Name: Eric
Trailer: Travel Supreme
Florida
Randy, regarding the RedMaxPro several years later....how has it held up? I want to try it on a fifth wheel. Thanks
Eric Hess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:01 AM   #645
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita
Red Max Pro is no longer available. It's now morphed into Zepp Wet Floor Finish.

READ THIS THREAD

Eileen
Arizona Eileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #646

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
poliglow no

where to buy ?
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #647
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita
Pretty certain you can find it at Lowe's.

Eileen
Arizona Eileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:11 PM   #648

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I'm baaack....Another thought has occurred to me. I have no graphics whatsoever on Scamp, but would like to add a personalized graphic design. Can that be done AFTER the Zep application? Or, should it be done before?
Thanks,

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:18 PM   #649

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Since the Zep can be stripped off, I would go with before.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:28 PM   #650

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
My thoughts exactly - plus the Zep would help seal the edges of the graphics.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #651

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
I'm baaack....Another thought has occurred to me. I have no graphics whatsoever on Scamp, but would like to add a personalized graphic design. Can that be done AFTER the Zep application? Or, should it be done before?
Thanks,
Putting anything be it paint or decal over wax the applied substance will not have a good bond. So graphics before Zep.

Want to guess what would happen to your graphics over Zep when you decide it's time to strip your Zep and apply a new coat? Or accidentally get tire cleaner (which strips wax) on your trailer at the coin operated car wash. Wax comes off graphics come off.

+1 on the wax applied after will seal the edges of the graphics, at least if they are decals such as Scamp has.

Really clean, well rinsed, and dry surface is what you want when you go to adding your graphics.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:56 PM   #652

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I had put it on over the front gravel shield Scamp decal, and I could notice a slight milky look, and on the window frame plastic weep hole cover....the zep started peeling off, but on the fiberglass it always stayed clear and never flaked off.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:15 PM   #653

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Canadian tire has some Zep on sale today for 20% off here in ON.
Picked up a gallon each of sealer and finish for $38.44 taxes included.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:13 AM   #654

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hess View Post
Randy, regarding the RedMaxPro several years later....how has it held up? I want to try it on a fifth wheel. Thanks

I used the zep stuff on my fifth wheel. It's been on mine since October or November of '12. It's still good, sits out all year in the kansas sun. I *might* put a touch up coat on top when I wash it this spring, but I doubt it. I know it sounds cheesy and completely wrong, but it works great. The high dollar wax on my car doesn't make it six months.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:14 PM   #655

Name: Jon
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
It took me 3 dAys to read this thread and I just got back from Lowes with everything I need to wash and wax our 1980 Burro tomorrow. Just finishing up a 4 month remodel and some additions. The Zep treatment will be the icing on the cake Here's a pic pre hub cap, battery and before new Burro decals installed.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:25 AM   #656

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Jon be sure to put on your sunglasses cuz it's going to have a shine that is blinding.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:30 AM   #657
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Jon you may wanna get some extra cause your going to be tempted to use it on your fine looking truck . I'll let you on secret on another use for zep. I use it on my dash shines and lasts better than another product I know of .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #658

Oregon
Here's the Burro polished , waxed and looking pretty good. I'm starting the ZEP today to keep the bird crud, black streaks etc to a minimum. Washing vs. Washing and rewaxing is no fun. I used a green dish pad and Bark Keepers Friend in the powder form (looks like Comet) scrubbed the entire outside and wil admit it was tough to look at after it dried. I had spent hours wet sanding and polishing the trailer then waxing, but its finish kept dying back and I had to rewax it. Here are a couple shots cleaned and scrubbed and one of the paint cup I'm usiing with a folded micro fiber rag to apply. It goes on just As everyone has mentioned. I'm at 3 coats and taking a break. I started wasing at 11:45 and its 1pm now with 3 coats. Gonna get some lunch and come back for 2 more.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:37 PM   #659

Oregon
Here's a few coats and dry.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:59 PM   #660

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry