Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 42 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2016, 09:58 AM   #821

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burro Bill View Post
Dave,

There is no guestion the shine is impressive with the floor polish.
I still like the UV protection I also get from the marine wax and
removing the polish to redo the camper sounds like work!
Something I try hard to avoid!

Bill
If you want the UV protection just use Poliglow. It's suppose to have that in it. Even though it's more expensive a kit comes with a cleaner and tools to do the job. I have tried both with equal results but I liked the tools the Poliglow came with and used them to apply the Red Max (Zep Wet Look) product also.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:34 PM   #822

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
So I've done two rounds of RMP. I did the bottom of my scamp yesterday in warm weather. 7 coats. Great shine

Did the top today. Cooler weather. More of a satin finish. Could the temperature affect this ? Or the time between coats. Maybe not fully dry between coats ?

Has anyone else had this happen ? Is there a way to remedy this other than stripping it all off ?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:46 AM   #823

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Jimbo View Post
So I've done two rounds of RMP. I did the bottom of my scamp yesterday in warm weather. 7 coats. Great shine

Did the top today. Cooler weather. More of a satin finish. Could the temperature affect this ? Or the time between coats. Maybe not fully dry between coats ?

Has anyone else had this happen ? Is there a way to remedy this other than stripping it all off ?

Most likely from not being dry.

Try another thin coat.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:59 PM   #824

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Thin coats seem to be better than thick. I try to put the last two on in long sweeps with a lighter touch.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:34 PM   #825

Name: Lionel
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300 pulled by a 2015 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Ontario
Registry
ZEP after 6 coats

I decided to go for it and rubbed the entire trailer down with Bar Keepers Friend, then applied 6 coats of ZEP floor finish. Amazing, and very easy. Took 39 years off of our 40 year old trillium. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
After Wax 1.jpeg  
LionelAucoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:29 AM   #826

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
Be very careful removing that cracked stripe because it is a real chore, I used a hair dryer to heat it up but that is dangerous also because you don't want to over heat the gel-coat.. Someone else might have a easier way to remove it but that was my best way to do it..... just don't get in a hurry and take your time..... Once removed I painted the new stripe on.....
FWIW, I just removed all the decals on my 1996 Casita. They were cracked and faded. I started with a hair dryer, gave up on that approach pretty quickly. I then went to the carefully peel up a corner with a finger nail, grab the small flap with a needle nose pliers, and then carefully pull them off. It worked well for me.

The reason I used needle nose pliers is the flap needed to grab with my fingers would be 5X the size needed to grab with the pliers. Once I had a decent sized flap, I then pulled it off with my fingers.

Now I have to deal with the shiny white gel coat under the decals versus the faded gel coat everywhere else. Even in its current state, the trailer looks 100% better to me.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #827

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Jimbo View Post

Update. Added a couple more layers of RMP in nicer weather. Worked like a charm. No longer satin finish but total shine !!!

Thanks everyone

Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:33 PM   #828

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
In Post #795, Cassie asked if there had been any updates from people who had used Zep (RedMax Pro) on their trailers and I see that several people have responded, mostly with positive experiences.

To chime in, we first applied Zep back in the spring of 2013 (5 coats after a very thorough cleaning). Then each following spring we've re-cleaned and applied a couple of more coats. Overall we've been pleased with the product, but now we're beginning to see some chipping, flaking and yellowing especially in any area that gets a lot of abuse - like the front corners, the wheel fenders, and the roof. Guess it's time for a stripping before we re-apply again.

I have some questions about the stripping process though. The stripper directions say to dilute it and apply it with a mop and then let it sit for 5-8 minutes before wiping off and rinsing. As someone said in a previous post, that's easy to do on a flat surface like a floor, but not so easily done on vertical surfaces. I think someone sprayed it on full strength from a handheld pump spray bottle? Any other tips? I'm concerned about this stuff running down the sides of the trailer and into the storm drains. Any advice from those who have stripped Zep off their trailers would be much appreciated.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:58 PM   #829

Washington
Registry
Hmmm...just found this info about the stripper on the Zep website in their SDS section:

"Dispose of in accordance with local regulations. Do not contaminate ponds, waterways or ditches with chemical or used container.The product should not be allowed to enter drains, water courses or the soil. Do not dispose of waste into sewer. Do not contaminate ponds, waterways or ditches with chemical or used container."

Doesn't sound like we want to let this stuff drip off the trailer and go down the storm sewers does it?

Spray on and wipe off with a clean rag sounds like the way to go.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:47 PM   #830

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Kathy, I was the one who used it full strength with a spray bottle and rough/soft kitchen sponge. I had my SD parked in the back yard, bare ground. The little bit of remover that you're going to end up using will be less than a quart. Doubt that that amount would make much difference if it did end up in the sewer in the big picture. I used to wash the cars on the lawn, figured I was watering it at the same time. I worked in 3x3' areas from the top down. I only let the Zep sit for about 10 seconds or so before I hit it with the rough side of the sponge and then rinsed. Only had a couple spots to redo. I didn't time it but it took less than 2 hours total......with beer breaks of course .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:52 PM   #831

Washington
Registry
Thanks, Dave. I think we'll try your technique and I agree that it doesn't sound like a lot is going to go down the drains. Spraying on like you did and then wiping it off and rinsing right away sounds like it should work out OK. Appreciate your getting back on this.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:10 PM   #832

Name: Marky
Texas
Sounds like that stripper is not safe for skin contact. Do you wear gloves? How are the fumes?

Sent from my Nexus using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:30 AM   #833

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
Sounds like that stripper is not safe for skin contact. Do you wear gloves? How are the fumes?
Good question Marky, never thought of including that. I did wear rubber gloves and glasses just cuz. As far as fumes, very faint and a little sweet. I did get a little bit on my wrist but had no reaction from it. I didn't read the MSDS on it but from using many different chemicals over the years, MSDS aside, the instructions and warnings on products that have real bad possibilities have it printed boldly. Being Zep is sold to the general public as a floor wax I see the warnings as mostly lawyer speak. But as we are using it on TT's by hand a few safety items are a good idea, again, just cuz. YMMV
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:01 AM   #834

Name: Arleigh
Trailer: looking to purchase
British Columbia
So... years later what's the verdict??
arleighdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:41 AM   #835

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
For me, my trailer sits out all year around uncovered, a quick touch up yearly and a strip and redo every three years keeps it looking now.

For the redo the floor stripper makes it quick.

Also you can use a 7" buffer along with automobile polish to make it as smooth as a factory gel coat.

Mark, yes use gloves but outside the fumes are not a noticable or a problem.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:20 PM   #836

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
polyglow

I have a 93 13' Bigfoot, I was concerned whether to use poly or red max. I put on several coats of poly. I have been unable to re-coat the poly, for several years. the finish has turned very bad not shiny. large areas where the poly has come off. I will strip the poly and find a place to put on the red max. Would the poly have been ok if it were attended to in short order ? What are either one in appearance after several coatings ?
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #837

Registry
My experience with both of them has shown no difference. I found it is a good idea to clean the camper once a year and ad at least one coat of Poliglow or Red Max. It's likely to show deterioration before the 2nd year if you don't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #838

Name: Amy
Trailer: BigFoot
Alberta
Hi we are near Victoria and I got some Zep to do our trailer over the long weekend. We will be here till the 14th. They did not have a one gallon jug so they gave me the 5 for the same price.

The left over It is free to anyone who can pick up before we leave the island
www.directuganda.com
Mountain Moma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:52 PM   #839

Name: Ken
Trailer: Cedar Creek 5th wheel
Tennessee
Hi, I am new to this forum and have a question about using RMP.

I have 2014 Cedar Creek 5tth wheel and the top of the front cap is oxidizing. I don't have a problem in doing the steps to clean and prep. My question is can I apply RMP over the decals on the cap?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Kwright189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:58 PM   #840

Washington
Registry
I'm not familiar with your particular trailer, but I can tell you that we applied it over our Bigfoot decals with no problems.

Tags
poliglow