Checking bolts to frame on Lil Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2016, 11:12 PM   #1

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Checking bolts to frame on Lil Bigfoot

Hello,

We're in the process of ordering a new Dexter axle with brakes for the Lil Bigfoot and have a commercial trailer repair business lined up to do the welding to the frame. We don't have a price yet on the axle but the welder estimates two hours of labor at $90/hr, which sounds fine to us.

While all of this is going on, I'd like to inspect the bolts holding the body to the frame, but am not sure how many there are or WHERE they are. Does anyone have photos, or is there a thread discussing this? (I have done a search on the forum, but the results I get don't seem to have anything to do with the topic of my search!)

TIA for any advice!
Old 03-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
I had 17 individual 'lag screws' holding my '73 Boler shell to the frame. A few had rusted through, others were loose; but, most were reasonably firm. I merely searched along the entire floor, guessing just where the frame rail would be located beneath the floor, and found all of them. They were all similarly spaced; so, once the obvious ones were found, the search led me 'under' some interior items like the water tank (which required removal) and, into the very narrow area between the wheel well and the shore-side panel of the rear dinette/bed and cupboard. Once I started lifting the shell, the remaining screws became more obvious. After sand blasting and repainting the frame, a complete set of new 'similar' lag screws, with supporting wide 'fender' washers, were used to replace the original lag-screws. I chose to add four new 3 1/8 in. SS 'bolts' inserted through newly placed angle-iron braces I had welded to the frame near the four corners of the shell/frame contact. I now believe I have a very securely mounted Boler shell to the frame.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:15 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25FB trailer
my 2005 17.5 gaucho has 2 bolts through the floor into the frame near each corner, I suggest looking for bolts that have nuts on the underside of the frame that look like they may go through the floor. also look at your floor for bolts that appear to be lined up with the frame areas.
Martin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:56 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Lil Bigfoot 13.5
Saskatchewan
hi Ellpea, you may have your answer already but I am gutting my lil bigfoot 13. I just removed 2 steel plates attached by 4 bolts today holding the back part of the body to the frame. They would be at the corners under the rear bed/seats. there are two 9/16 x 2" (??? guessing from memory) bolts that go through about an 8" x 2" ish steel plate, through the wood floor, and through the fiberglass underbelly, through the frame and are attached by 9/16" nuts underneath. so one plate for each corner with two holes 4 bolts total. The front looks to be attached in a similar manner. so there would be 8 bolts 4 plates holding the body to the frame. Hope this helps. Somebody correct me if I am wrong please.
stevelilbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:28 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=stevelilbigfoot; there are two 9/16 x 2" (??? guessing from memory) bolts that go through about an 8" x 2" ish steel plate, through the wood floor, and through the fiberglass underbelly, through the frame and are attached by 9/16" nuts underneath.

maybe they are 3/8 bolts that take a 9/16 wrench
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:32 AM   #6

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Steve and MaryandBob,

What years are your Lill Bigfoot trailers? And when you found and checked your bolts, were they in good condition? Or?

We still haven't managed to inspect ours. Everything else seems secure, but I do have nightmares after reading other horror stories!
Old 08-31-2016, 05:01 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Lil Bigfoot 13.5
Saskatchewan
They were not in great shape. I am now glad I pulled them out.
stevelilbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot