chip/stone guard - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #1

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
chip/stone guard

it's that time again---getting the trailer ready for another season of camping. we need to do a few minor repairs of stone chips under the front window. other forum members mentionned using grizzly grip bed liner. i have also seen the video online for applying dupli-colour bed liner.

does anyone have any first-hand experience with either (or both!) products?

i intend on taping out an area along the sides as well as doing the front below the window.
thanks in advance

oh yes...i also have a small hole from a big stone...the hole is about the size of a big pea...do i have to tape this and resin it or is there another product out there to use? or....would the bedliner be enough to cover it???
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #2

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I rolled on this bedliner, I used Rust-o-leum, it was inexpensive and easy, the area shown was 1 quart applying two coats with a little left over for touch ups as needed. Tape the areas very well, this stuff dries fast and wear gloves.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...3-a-47801.html
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #3

Registry
hi james...i knew i'd seen your photos earlier...but i kept searching and searching..and nothing came up! phew! thought i was losing my mind.

okay----rust-o-leum. got it. i can only imagine it is similar to the two products i mentionned...grizzly grip and duplicolour bed liner. the look you have achieved is exactly what i had in mind.

any hints about that small hole i have?? would the rust-o-leum cover it effectively without a patch/repair job first??
thanks
Old 03-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #4

Ohio
Registry
Theresa, do you have a picture of the "hole". If it is just a large chip, on some areas where I had larger chips, I used a two part clear epoxy to fill them in, it was easy cheap and if you are going to cover with the bed liner it won't be visible anyways. Most of the bedliners are pretty much the same thing, just paying for brand names mostly. If you prefer other than black you might have to go with another brand. When applying, you want to use those little 3" smooth rollers, they sell kits but you can just buy a roller and save yourself an extra $10. The curve is a little difficult to tape, I just eyed it up, you my have to use little tape patches along the curve because when you try to round the tape on the curve you don't get a perfectly smooth curve and the tape raises in spots, so use little tape patches to smooth the curve, you'll understand when you start taping. Apply the first coat, and let it dry for about 30 minutes or so until it is dry to the touch and then put on the second coat. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #5

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Has anyone tried Herculiner?

It comes in white!
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The only think I know about Grizzly Grip is what I read on CasitaForum. A couple used it on their sailboat and loved it and another person used it on the floor boards of a Jeep... easily washed out! They both talked about ease of use and colors available....
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #7

Registry
i heard about grizzly grip from this forum somewhere....i emailed the company and have written back and forth with them a few times. they are very quick to respond and it sounds like their product would do an excellent job of keeping the stones from chipping....
....they recommend using their alphimatic product, which does not fade. they tell me it is easily applied. one caveat, though, is it's limited "potlife". they warrany the can for 30 days and actually make it up for each order. that's why it is sold thru the company and not thru a distributor. and...it comes in a multitude of colours!
they are based in orlando, florida and i am strongly considering having an order made for me in time for our friends, who are presently wintering in daytona beach, to bring it home with them, saving shipping and duty. however, there are these other products that are also available and that has caused me almost information overload.
now, brooke is suggesting herculiner----and i have to go research it to add it to my list of options.
and i will go and snap a photo of the hole and post it here for more help.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If this helps others considering the different brands available, here's the Grizzly Grip colors
Attached Thumbnails
GrizzlyGrip.jpg  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #9

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
it's that time again---getting the trailer ready for another season of camping. we need to do a few minor repairs of stone chips under the front window. other forum members mentionned using grizzly grip bed liner. i have also seen the video online for applying dupli-colour bed liner.

does anyone have any first-hand experience with either (or both!) products?

i intend on taping out an area along the sides as well as doing the front below the window.
thanks in advance

oh yes...i also have a small hole from a big stone...the hole is about the size of a big pea...do i have to tape this and resin it or is there another product out there to use? or....would the bedliner be enough to cover it???
Theresa
I spoke with a FG trailer, and boat repairman, and he suggested that I have someone that puts the clear rock guard skin, on the front of cars put it on the front of my Bigfoot. I bought a kit out of Texas that covers my TV headlights and running light , it is put on with a heat gun and can cover where the headlights are curved in more than one direction. they look so great on my 4 runner.
Does hole mean gel coat popped off down to the glass, or do you mean clear through the FG skin into the insulation?

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #10

Ohio
Registry
I don't think the vinyl wraps would be nearly as effective as bedliner for protecting the front of an egg from rocks, just my opinion.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:28 AM   #11

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
im going to go for prevention in the form of mega mudflaps on the tow. maybe if i don;t throw racks at the front of the trailer it won't get chipped up?<_<
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:19 AM   #12

Ohio
Registry
Possible, but the fact that the front of mine already looked like a tiny moonscape, the bedliner provided a nice "coverup" to the past chips while preventing future chips. My tow has mudflaps.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
This is the front of my Ranger which I did with Duplicolor bedliner spray.
It is smoother than some with only a light texture, and it adheres well to all surfaces without primer.....
Attached Thumbnails
july4t1.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I remember that someone put red bedliner on the outside of their entire egg, because they were going with a Fireman theme. I think it also had a red light on top (like firetrucks). The textured surface looked pretty rad.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
I remember that someone put red bedliner on the outside of their entire egg, because they were going with a Fireman theme. I think it also had a red light on top (like firetrucks). The textured surface looked pretty rad.
There's a '49 Plymouth around here with orange bedliner, it looks just like a Sunkist Orange. That stuff had a very pronounced texture.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote