City water dish replacement/repair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2013, 11:53 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: '79 Boler 1700RGH
British Columbia
City water dish replacement/repair

Hey guys,

Just showed up at a camp site after driving for quite some time.. my city water hookup is no longer working it appears. Hook it up, pressure it up, works fine but only a small burst of water comes out of the sink and then nothing.. Works fine from the fresh tank via pump.

I have a feeling I blew up the check valve at the last stop as the spring wanted to fall out but i'm not sure why that would cause the issue i'm experiencing now.. Going to go out and see if I can find the spring on the ground and somehow rig up the pin properly but we shall see.

Anyone have a walkthrough on replacing the city hookup dish? I looked on a few rv sites and they are pretty cheap, 30-40 bucks..
Kinslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #2

British Columbia
Ok well I appear to have lost the spring..Im assuming the check valve pin itself is blocking the water inlet when pressure is applied.. I'm going to have to either replace it entirely or figure out how to re-assemble the check valve after finding the spring on the ground.. I had a look for a while just now but it's dark and who knows if I lost it now or a while ago.. have been driving for several days and haven't used city hookup for a few stops.

Luckily the screw in cap is tough enough to hold pressure from the water pump! If I could get a needle nose pliars on the check valve I could probably just rip it out and forget about it but that would mean I would probably have to prime or semi-prime my pump when I switch from city to tank... that being said it primed up nice after I spent about 5 mins trying to get a needle nose on the pin just now so it might not be such a big deal.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post
Anyone have a walkthrough on replacing the city hookup dish? I looked on a few rv sites and they are pretty cheap, 30-40 bucks..
Hello Don and welcome to the forum. I think finding a direct hole to hole replacement on a 30+ year old trailer might be tougher than the actual replacing. I replaced mine not too long ago. Mine was screwed in place while yours may be riveted. If so they will need to be drilled out. I used a dull putty knife to work the old fixture loose. I cleaned off the old sealant and disconnected the hose being careful not to lose it in the hole. Connect the new fixture, and seal it to the fiberglass with butyl tape. New screws and its done. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
As Raz has indicated its pretty easy to replace. I replaced mine last spring - it was pretty simple - only held in place with a few rivets which I drilled out & used buytal tape behind the new one to prevent leaks.

If you dont already have one a water pressure regulator is always a good thing to have - I leave mine connected to my hose even when not in use so I remember to use it ever time I hook up to a city water. To much water pressure can lead to all sorts of unwanted problems in our old trailers.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #5

British Columbia
Hey guys thanks.. i was envisioning having to go through the i side or something. I have an elbow and pressure reg I use all the time...

Im in oregon now so ill hit up an rv store to see if i can get the right size..