Cleaning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2013, 06:09 AM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Cleaning

What works well for cleaning our eggs to get road grime off? Looking for experience here. Thanks
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Generic car washing liquid. Dawn dish soap.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
I just did mine yesterday, getting it clean for a trip this weekend, and used small biut of Dawn Dish Soap. There were a few spots low down on the front sides with tar and I used a bit of Bug & Tar remover. It took about 45 minutes to do the whole trailer, and it sparkles again
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Car Wash Soap

I wax my Scamp in the Spring ,the middle of Summer and in the Fall before storing the trailer for the Winter. I use a mild car wash soap that does not remove the wax for cleanups during the Summer season . If i remember correctly dish washing detergent removes the wax
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I use Simonize car wash / wax.
Or any other that is on sale.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I use any ol carwash soap. after coating the trailer with ZEP everything washes off easily.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #7

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
which ZEP?

Food Processing

Vehicle Wash
Specialty-Reclaim System Treatment Prep Area
Protectants/Polishes Specialty-Vehicle Wash
High pH Presoaks Vehicle Wash-Hand
Low pH Presoaks Specialty-Prep
Sealers-Vehicle Wash Car and Truck Wash
Drying Agents Oil/Water Separation-Split Products
Wheel and Tire Cleaners Shampoos

i need as easy as possible...i have bad arthritis in my hands. and i am short. do you use brushes? sponges? rags?
lpk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post

i need as easy as possible...i have bad arthritis in my hands. and i am short. do you use brushes? sponges? rags?
I use a truck/car washing brush on an extendable handle that hooks up to a hose. The trick to using these things is not to use full flow/pressure.

I lay my brush out facing up and with the trigger 'ON', I open the faucet only to the point that the stream rises about 6 inches above the brush. This way there's little splash back to get me wet but still enough water to wash effectively.

I also keep a wide mouth pail with car wash detergent close by for areas that have an oily grime. I prefer McGuires car care products but would expect other brands would be good also.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #9

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Leave it parked in mom & dad's driveway, dad gets bored one day and washes it. Works every time!

Oh, I guess he uses car-wash soap.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Which ZEP ?

I think that the writer is saying that after coating their FGRV with "ZEP Wet Look floor wax" that road grime washes off easily, a statement I can concurr with after Zepping our Lil' Bigfoot.

But your rig might be a bit new to use the ZEP treatment on already.

That said, I prefer using a known brand name auto wash product, it usually works better than dish soap, leaves a better shine, and is less apt to remove any wax that may be in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post
which ZEP?

Food Processing

Vehicle Wash
Specialty-Reclaim System Treatment Prep Area
Protectants/Polishes Specialty-Vehicle Wash
High pH Presoaks Vehicle Wash-Hand
Low pH Presoaks Specialty-Prep
Sealers-Vehicle Wash Car and Truck Wash
Drying Agents Oil/Water Separation-Split Products
Wheel and Tire Cleaners Shampoos

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #11

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
After washing I'd suggest using "303 Protectant" on the windows and vent covers, helps keep them from getting brittle, like SPF for your trailer. http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-A.../dp/B004HHSGS0
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
After washing I'd suggest using "303 Protectant" on the windows and vent covers, helps keep them from getting brittle, like SPF for your trailer. Amazon.com: 303 Products Aerospace Protectant: Sports & Outdoors

The 303 Aerospace Protectant works really well on awnings as well!! Makes them very easy to wash off and also prevents staining should they get rolled up with leafs and other items on them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #13

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
Leave it parked in mom & dad's driveway, dad gets bored one day and washes it. Works every time!

Oh, I guess he uses car-wash soap.
Yeh! I know all about that from the other side of the fence. Our kids are in their 30's and in the last few years I have disposed of a car my daughter left behind, a pickup and two cars from my son and absconded a nice 88 Cadillac Eldorado to be my own personal car.

He was so nice about that he even took a week off work in another state to help me get it out of storage, clean it up, and spray a new coat of royal blue metallic/clear coat on it. Looks pretty cool being driven around town by an old decrepit, white haired guy with its flashy aluminum alloy wheels and throaty exhaust.

Now that spring has finally popped here in western Washington I've gotta get to work on getting the Scamp and Blazer ready for some summer jaunts. Around here the tree pollen comes down in layers. Then the rain washes it into gutters, cracks and crevices.

Then the mildew sets in and cleaning it up seems to be done best using the armstrong method, i.e., a pail with some chlorine bleach and a little TSP (trisodium phosphate) added to warm water and a battery of several types of brush.

I have also used a small electric pressure washer, but really prefer the brush and bleach method.

After it is all dry a couple of coats of floor sealant I got from Lowe's several years ago is quickly and easily applied and it stays nice and shiny the rest of the year. The sealant is no longer carried by Lowes but a similar product is available from Home Depot under the brand name ZEP. It looks and smells like a water based polyurethane varnish, but quite thin with some additives and gives a deep shine.

Because of the wonderful travels my wife and I have enjoyed with the Scamp I don't feel like the spring cleaning is a chore at all. Now that we are into our old age and have some health problems (three dialysis sessions per week for me, at the present) it is unlikely we'll be taking any long trips, but there are still so many places yet to see in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and British Columbia that we'll never get to them all!

Happy traveling!!!
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #14

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
303 is what i put on my kayak, right? thx for all these suggestions.
lpk49 is offline   Reply With Quote