Cleaning and Waxing Suggestions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2016, 05:36 PM   #1

Name: Sherri
Trailer: 2012 Casita Spirit
St. Petersburg, FL
Registry
Cleaning and Waxing Suggestions

I read through the waxing thread, but still have some questions. I have a 2012 Casita in sunny Florida. She is stored outside on concrete and a large shade sail hangs above her. I still worry about the impact of the sun and want to give her the best cleaning and wax to protect as much as possible. The Zep High Floor Finish sounds interesting and easiest, but what do you use first to clean? What will protect against the sun better, turtle wax or the Zep Finish? I read somewhere that a special marine wax exists for fiberglass. Has anyone used this and would recommend? Thanks in advance for all suggestions! Sherri
Sherritini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The zip wax is mostly used by people with old trailers that have been allowed to go beyond the point of no return and can not be polished up using more traditional methods.

3M makes some great consumer products for cleaning fibreglass. If you have some oxidization on the trailer their Marine Restore & Wax works fairly well. If you have very little oxidization and simple want to clean off black streaks etc then their Cleaner and Wax works well also. If you have really heavy oxidization you may need to use one of their designated compounds.

While both products do contain wax & bring out a shine, if your wanting to really shine it up - use one of those products to clean it up but then add on application of a Carnauba wax for a really nice deep shine - but many have started to use the newer polymer wax's such as Mother's FX as they are easier to apply and look pretty good. I used the Mother's FX after using the 3M products and was very happy with the shine - not sure I could tell the difference from the times I used a Carnauba wax.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:18 PM   #3

Name: phil
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Waxing

Great advice! Used Mother's Carnuba paste wax on my 17 Bigfoot and it looked like a new penny after. ...Phil
durb747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #4

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
We use a liquid wax called The Solution. It is expensive when we bought it about $65 a half gallon or gallon. But we've done the Casita, our motorhome and 3 of our cars 2 times each and still have a lot left. All you do is wash the vehicle and dry it. Spray the liquid on and dry off. No polishing or rubbing needed. Everyone that sees our 2007 Casita thinks it is new. Our 9 year old grandson even liked doing it. Really helps with the bugs when washing after a trip.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #5

British Columbia
Waxing

Thanks Jan. I'll google that product and see where to buy it. I'm in Vancouver,B.C. so may be scarce here. May have to stick with the old tried and true,Mother's Carnuba paste wax and elbow grease...Phil.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:49 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Brazilian Wax, its the absolute best.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:47 PM   #7

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by durb747 View Post
Thanks Jan. I'll google that product and see where to buy it. I'm in Vancouver,B.C. so may be scarce here. May have to stick with the old tried and true,Mother's Carnuba paste wax and elbow grease...Phil.
This info may help you. Phone 1-888-299-2136 or 760-343-2229 It's the Super Seal Specialty Co, Inc website Super Seal Specialty Company This is on my bottle and I've had it quite a while so hope this is still all current. We bought it at an RV Rally and we've seen it at other rally's in the last couple of years.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:50 PM   #8

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
This info may help you. Phone 1-888-299-2136 or 760-343-2229 It's the Super Seal Specialty Co, Inc website Super Seal Specialty Company This is on my bottle and I've had it quite a while so hope this is still all current. We bought it at an RV Rally and we've seen it at other rally's in the last couple of years.
For some reason the website changed on my post. It is super-seal.com
Old 10-09-2016, 10:30 PM   #9

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
303 Aerospace is a UV inhibitor. We use it and no wax because 303 cannot be used over wax.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:39 PM   #10

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
I have used the Mequiers gel coat wash and
then wax it with their Flagship Premium Marine
and RV wax. It is a lot of work but the results
are worth it. A great long lasting shine and UV
protection as well. Except for the work involved
It's a win win. ( and I'm old and lazy! )
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:07 AM   #11

British Columbia
Waxing

Thanks for the great info guys! I use 303 on my awning a few times per year and will look into the other coatings. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving from Canada...Phil
Old 10-10-2016, 11:15 AM   #12

Name: Sherri
Trailer: 2012 Casita Spirit
St. Petersburg, FL
Registry
Thanks for All the Great Tips!

Not sure we are still talking RV's with the Brazilian Wax, but love all the other info. Thanks!
Sherritini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:57 PM   #13

Name: Dean
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherritini View Post
Not sure we are still talking RV's with the Brazilian Wax, but love all the other info. Thanks!
Sherri,

LOL, ouch! Good point.

Dean