Cleaning mold/mildew - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2006, 08:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 1986 23 ft Road Ranger
We spent some time cleaning the ensolite (among other things) in the trailer today and got about halfway done. We had to take the top shelf down at the front of the trailer as their was mildew above the window. We were able to clean the mildew using Tilex but I wonder about the under side of the ensolite. Does this make sense? I hope that cleaning the surface of the ensolite is sufficient but it doesn't seem like it would be. Can anyone clarify this for me?

*Shannen*
Rick and Shannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:48 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
dont ask me what it is called but home painers have a chemical they spray on walls in bathrooms that kills and stops mold before they paint check out a good paint store...
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:01 AM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
We bought an old house across the river from you Shannen, It had been repoed and had sat closed up for a number of years, we had a mold problem We used bleach soap and water and then after airing we sat containers of Apple Cider Vinegar in each room That did the trick I was told to be sure and use only apple cider vinegar. Something about the vinegar changing the ph in the rooms. It was cheap and it worked Also besure if you use bleach to not mix other chemicals with it I just used a bit of dish soap. I think Tlex is mostly bleach.
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I wouldn't think the foam part of the ensolite would harbor mildew as long as the vinyl side is intact and the ensolite is glued well to the fiberglass.

Cleaning mildew off the vinyl surface should be enough.

The problem I have with all this is the strong chlorine odor that comes from anything I've tried so far about does me in. How was the Tilex in that regard?

What I've found best so far is a small paint pad for most of the scrubbing. It still allows solution to run down the handle and down your arm, but less so than a brush.

If you've found a method that works well, let us all know.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 1986 23 ft Road Ranger
We used Tilex and scrubbed on it with little nylon scrubbers. It worked like a charm. The only problem was the fumes. It reeks of bleach and we had to leave the door and windows open while we were doing it. We also took several breaks to make sure we didn't get sick.

We still have the whole dinette area to do. We also have to re-glue part of the ensolite that was pulling away from the wall in the dinette and a piece of the seam tape is missing there. Anyone know where we can find new seam tape for Trills? We have a couple pieces of seam tape that need to be repositioned (we are going to try the hot water trick). Nothing too major.
Rick and Shannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think someone on the pre-hack forums mentioned using Simple Green as a mildew remover too

For moldings, check out the Molding page from our Helpful-Links: Moldings
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:46 PM   #7

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

In addition to leaving the doors and windows open, I would at least add a large fan to move fresh air. When I cleaned my Love Bug, I used a respirator that was rated for chemical use. I may be over cautous but better cautous than dead. I once sold a motorcycle to a guy and the night that he picked it up, he used some paint stripper on it in an enclosed area without ventilation or a respirator and died from breathing the stuff. He was 30 yrs old and left a widow and 3 kids without a dad. I still feel somewhat guilty and do my best to tell people about the dangers.

Please be careful with any chemicals, including stuff that we all use daily and don't think about.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:31 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Mild bleach solution (a little bleach in a lot of water)
Old soft toothbrush (takes more time, but fewer dribbles down arm)
Music (enjoy your scrubbin' time!)
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote