Cleaning of Scamp Cushions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Cleaning of Scamp Cushions

I have a like new 1995 Scamp 13 foot trailer. The cushions are not worn at all but there are a few spots that need some cleaning.

I called Scamp and they said not to machine wash and that it might be OK to hand wash the outside coverings. I could not find any reference in the owners manuals or search if this site.

I was wondering about soaking the coverings in something like Wool-lite, then air drying.

Any ideas. I don't want to wreck the cushions as they are in such good shape.

Thanks.
Rod P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I hand-spoted cleaned mine with an upholstery spray foam cleaner. It did a pretty good job, but couldn't touch the water spots. In the future-new covers.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Clinton View Post
I hand-spoted cleaned mine with an upholstery spray foam cleaner. It did a pretty good job, but couldn't touch the water spots. In the future-new covers.
thanks - I may try that cleaner. The front bunks have never been used and it is just the rear cushions that need a bit of touching up.

Regards.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #4

Name: Tonia
Trailer: Scamp 13' (1982)
Wisconsin
I washed my covers in a front load washer on gentle then line dried .... Twice. They are the original 1982 covers and I wasn't going use them with the funky smell so I gave it a shot. Yours is much newer and I'm not sure of the 1995 fabric. I washed the top bunk with a carpet shampooer and it came out fine too.
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #5

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
I, too, washed my 1984 cushion covers in a top-loader on gentle, then line dried. They came out looking much better, so much so that I decided to put off sewing new covers. Instead I knit a cover for the white bolster I bought at IKEA.
Attached Thumbnails
frontcushions.jpg  
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for your quick replies. I am going to wash the rear seat cushions today with a front loader on gentle cycle. I will then air dry them. I will let you know how they turn out.

I will surprise my wife, one way or another....

Regards.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #7

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp 1981 16 foot
Michigan
I have a 81 scamp 16ft and a 19 ft, I have used my carpet guy to clean both sets, he has the small tools that do a great job. he said that the scamp fabric is really good stuff. He charged my $100 each camper. I just droped them off and picked up fresh smelling clean cushions. Best money I've spent.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod P View Post
Thanks everyone for your quick replies. I am going to wash the rear seat cushions today with a front loader on gentle cycle. I will then air dry them. I will let you know how they turn out.

I will surprise my wife, one way or another....

Regards.
Hey - I washed the seat cushions on gentle cycle in a front loader and air dried them. They come out great with no problems.

The hardest part was taking off the covers from the foam and putting them back on with the plastic inside covering. It is really a tight fit.

Thanks again.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Hey - I washed the seat cushions on gentle cycle in a front loader and air dried them. They come out great with no problems.

The hardest part was taking off the covers from the foam and putting them back on with the plastic inside covering. It is really a tight fit.

Thanks again.

There is a secret to fitting the cushions into the covers, but it kinda sucks.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:

Thanks again.
Glad to hear it worked - I had done my old ones that way a few times. The banana one was a killer wasnt it???
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Glad to hear it worked - I had done my old ones that way a few times. The banana one was a killer wasnt it???
I have not done the banana one yet. I just washed the rear seat cushions as they are the ones only used.

I really like the idea of the vacumn, in above reply. My cushions had plastic covering the foam anyway. I will try it on the banana cushion.

Thanks everyone.

Tags
scamp