Old 06-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #1

Name: Loulou
Trailer: 1973 13' boler
British Columbia
Registry
Cleaning the exterior

Hi there:

I'm new to Fiberglass RV...just joined yesterday. What a great site!

We have a '73 Boler, it's never been painted. The exterior is looking rather rough. I'd love to get some suggestions on how to clean/restore the gel coat.

Thanks. Will post pictures soon.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #2

Name: Carol
Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
You will get lots of responses to your question.

I have had great results using 3M Fiberglass Restore and Wax if heavy oxidation on the trailer (they have another product if lightly oxidized call 3M Fiberglass Clean and Wax). The first time I did my trailer I cleaned it well using a micro pad and then I used the stuff for 3M Restore and Wax for heavy oxidation but after that I have only had to use the Clean and Wax one. You will find it in the boat cleaning section of a lot of stores. Have put it on by hand using a micro cloth (works well) as well as having used a power buffer with a wool buffer pad (worked even better). After using it, you then need to add a coat of paste wax. 3M recommends that after waxing you also use a product called Clean and Shine but so far I have not tried that one.

Actually just spent Sunday doing my yearly clean and wax and I need sunglasses for the glare. :-)

Old 06-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #3

Name: D_____ N____
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
I use PoliGlow
But read here http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ell-43004.html
Old 06-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #4

British Columbia
Registry
thanks

Thanks for the suggestion Carol. Went out and bought the 3M restore and wax this afternoon...this will be tomorrow's project. Wish me luck!
I'm glad I didn't receive lots of replies with conflicting information. This makes it easier!
Loulou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
You will get lots of responses to your question.

I have had great results using 3M Fiberglass Restore and Wax if heavy oxidation on the trailer (they have another product if lightly oxidized call 3M Fiberglass Clean and Wax). The first time I did my trailer I cleaned it well using a micro pad and then I used the stuff for 3M Restore and Wax for heavy oxidation but after that I have only had to use the Clean and Wax one. You will find it in the boat cleaning section of a lot of stores. Have put it on by hand using a micro cloth (works well) as well as having used a power buffer with a wool buffer pad (worked even better). After using it, you then need to add a coat of paste wax. 3M recommends that after waxing you also use a product called Clean and Shine but so far I have not tried that one.

Actually just spent Sunday doing my yearly clean and wax and I need sunglasses for the glare. :-)
Old 06-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #5

Name: Andrew
Trailer: 2000 13' Scamp
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loulou View Post
Thanks for the suggestion Carol. Went out and bought the 3M restore and wax this afternoon...this will be tomorrow's project. Wish me luck!
I'm glad I didn't receive lots of replies with conflicting information. This makes it easier!
Loulou
Im actually doing the same thing. I picked up a buffer and so far the sections I have completed are awesome. If using a buffer be careful near the bellyband... It will smear black stuff over the fiberglass. (open to suggestions on how to remove this)
Ready for daylight to start again...
Old 06-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #6

British Columbia
Registry
Well it was a long day but we got the boler washed and waxed. Used 3M restorer and wax. We bought a polishing bit for our drill and buffed with that. I can't imagine doing the buffing by hand when you can spend $11 bucks for an attachment that makes the job so much easier. The boler now looks like a shiny 40 year old rig with a bunch of scratches and dings. We think it looks as good as it could short of a paint job. Thanks again for the advice.

Andrew, thanks for the warning about the black streaks. We buffed by hand close to all the black rubber and metal bits. That worked out just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byAndrewDavis View Post
Im actually doing the same thing. I picked up a buffer and so far the sections I have completed are awesome. If using a buffer be careful near the bellyband... It will smear black stuff over the fiberglass. (open to suggestions on how to remove this)
Ready for daylight to start again...
Old 06-05-2011, 01:14 AM   #7

Trailer: 1977 Boler
What, no pics?
Old 06-05-2011, 03:06 AM   #8

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2007 19.5 ft Escape 5.0 / 2010 Nissan Frontier (1973 Boler project)
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...What I used to clean and polish the belly band is a product called Nevr-dul. It is avail. at most Hardware stores. It is a can full of wool wading with some solvent that turns the oxidized alum. black. You simply tear off a piece and rub the aluminium band then buff that off with a rag.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 06-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #9
Baj

Name: Baj
Trailer: 96 Scamp 16' SD
North Carolina
WHEW EEEEEE! Just got done scrub down #1 man was that thing DIRTY!
Used simple green and it cut right on through the black spotted layer from hell.
The rig is white again
I plan to use turtle wash n wax for scrub down #2 just to see how it looks then I may wax it with that 3M wax if I find any more time...
Old 06-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #10

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: All...What I used to clean and polish the belly band is a product called Nevr-dul. It is avail. at most Hardware stores. It is a can full of wool wading with some solvent that turns the oxidized alum. black. You simply tear off a piece and rub the aluminium band then buff that off with a rag.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
I have used that as well Alf and your right it works really well. I have used Bar Keepers friend on it from time to time as well.

Found it is always best to clean up the belly band before you wash the trailer down - that way you can scrub off the black that gets all over the gelcoat.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #11

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loulou View Post
The boler now looks like a shiny 40 year old rig with a bunch of scratches and dings. We think it looks as good as it could short of a paint job. Thanks again for the advice.

I'm glad it worked for you. If you are like me and used the 3M Restore and Wax and decided that was as good as it was going to get and not bother to do the paste wax after, then you are missing out on an even better shine. I avoid the paste wax step the first time I did mine but when I finally decided to follow their instructions and put the paste wax on after, it really did take the shine up another notch. Don't use a buffer to do the wax though - just a micro cloth. Actually now thinking I should try the 3rd step 3M recommends - the Marine Clean and Shine product.

I camped this weekend right beside another Scamp that had the Red Max Floor product finish done to it about a month ago. The weather was great & the shine on both trailers was great and it was not possible to say that one trailer was shiner than the other.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #12

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baj View Post
WHEW EEEEEE! Just got done scrub down #1 man was that thing DIRTY!
Used simple green and it cut right on through the black spotted layer from hell.
The rig is white again
I plan to use turtle wash n wax for scrub down #2 just to see how it looks then I may wax it with that 3M wax if I find any more time...
If your going to try the 3M Restore and Wax do not bother with the Turtle wash and wax - just wash it - the Restore and Wax is a compound that will just strip the turtle wax right off.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #13

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 73,75,78 13' Boler 78 17' Boler
Alberta
The first step I do is to clean the fiberglass with spraynine.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #14

Trailer: Burro
Appreciate the discussion thread

I just decided to address some issues with my Burro since it has not been used all year long...and I appreciate all of the advice posted on cleaning and shining. Those of you who have used the 3M products...is it a paste that you apply like wax and then buff out? Do you think that it would remove "black streaks" that Simple Green and CLR failed to completely remove? It looks sort of like acid rain (fine dark streaks). How often have you had to use the 3M Restorer Cleaner to keep your "Egg" looking clean and shiny? Where have you purchased this product?

...also I have been searching for advice on correcting rear window leaks in a Burro...specifically removing and replacing with the proper seal or tape, since the weep holes being clogged is not the issue. Hurricane Irene left my mattress a bit damp so I want to address the annoying leaking issue asap. If you can direct me to a discussion dealing with this I would much appreciate the help.