Cleaning the "rat fur".... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #1

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
Smile Cleaning the "rat fur"....

I am sure there is a post on this somewhere, but I couldn't find it. How do you clean the rat fur walls in a scamp? Can a professional carpet guy do it without causing damage?
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:13 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Google site search is your friend.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...+rat+fur&sa=Go
Old 10-01-2012, 06:50 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The question of the era is still unanswered....
What is the real name/source of Rat Fur?
I am sure it is some sort of Marine product, and you can be sure that Scamp marks it up a few 100%.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Cleaning the "rat fur"

Cricket, I have had good results using a spray on carpet cleaner for high traffic areas, on the bottom of my Scamp's door.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Cricket the Rat Fur can be steamed cleaned. Best not to rub on it to much or hard though as the top fuzz does tend to pull. I have used a foam carpet cleaner on the inside of my door but was very careful about not rubbing it to hard and just vacuumed it off.

Bob : This thread may help regarding name of Rat Fut. It is a marine headliner and Scamps prices are actually pretty good - at least by RV store standards. Funny enough I took a brand new Scamp overhead bin into one of our better fiberglass repair shops locally to see about having it slightly modified (no error or issue on Scamps part). They asked what it had cost me to buy and were very shocked at how little Scamp was selling them for - as they said the workmenship/finish of it was excellent & if they had made it the cost way more than what I paid for it. In fact the minor modifaction I was going to do was going to cost 4x what I paid for it, making it not worth the change. It is Scamps shipping policy that will kill you though!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
However you decide to clean the rat fur, just don't soak it with water, or steam it to death! I believe in trying whatever may do the least damage and go from there. Start with a vacuum, move to spot cleaning with a foam carpet cleaner, etc.

The rat fur in my 1988 is pretty dang clean. Only the bottom of the door shows true dirt and I just keep the door closed so I can't see it!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote