Cleaning the Scamp Spare tire cover - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #1

Name: Steven
Trailer: Scamp
Massachusetts
Cleaning the Scamp Spare tire cover

Can you wash the spare tire cover in a washing machine?

Just bought an 89, 16'. Great shape, just needs some cleaning.
sgmharvard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmharvard1 View Post
Can you wash the spare tire cover in a washing machine?

Just bought an 89, 16'. Great shape, just needs some cleaning.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Someone will jump in here real soon and say something for sure, but I would "Think" that you should be able to IF you use cold water and then air dry it.I wash my flannel backed table cloths in my washer all the time. I just hang them on my line or lay them out flat to dry,smooth them out real good and no wrinkles.

I have always done this and had good luck with them I will add that now I have a front load washer and they do come out much better than in my old top load.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I'm surprised the '89 spare tire cover is still intact.
Yes! I have washed my 2011 Scamp spare tire cover in the manner Lynn suggests...cold water, gentle setting, air dry. But why stop there? I customize my spare wheel covers. So far I've made a fall foliage theme (see photos) and a Native American Southwest theme (sorry, no photo). The cover is easy to make and so is the pattern. Flannel-back vinyl (tablecloth) is easiest to cut and sew. I made the next one out of heavy-weight vinyl that I purchased at a fabric store.
Attached Thumbnails
Doug's art and Scamp 028.jpg   Doug's art and Scamp 026.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
How about a vinyl cleaner? Lots of stuff available for boats.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #5

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Just have to check the tire cover for dry rot. If its the original cover it might fall to pieces in the washer. After about 7 or 8 years kept outside they will begin to dry rot. I would try to hand clean it first. Try black streak remover. You can get it at Wal-Mart in the RV section or a RV store.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Instead of screwing around and spending money on cleaning materials or wasting a bunch of water in the washing machine and not being satisfied with the results, maybe just buy a new one? Camping World isn't the cheapest place, but there are options... including black if you so desire: Search - Spare tire cover - Camping World
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
New Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Instead of screwing around and spending money on cleaning materials or wasting a bunch of water in the washing machine and not being satisfied with the results, maybe just buy a new one? Camping World isn't the cheapest place, but there are options... including black if you so desire: Search - Spare tire cover - Camping World
We had a 1999 Scamp and the spare tire cover needed cleaning . We washed it by hand ,we machine washed it ,we applied auto vinyl cleaner-conditioner and when we were done ,we had a clean ,14 year old looking tire cover with cracks in the vinyl . We then bought a new one from Scamp for under $20 .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #8

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Scamp has Arrived - Layout 7
Minnesota
I would really like to have a one piece solid plastic spare tire cover like the ones used on SUVs. Have found the ones with a plastic disk and the rest made of vinyl fabric but not too excited about them. I haven't found a solid plastic cover in the proper size for a Scamp spare. Anyone aware of such a thing and if so where to buy it?

Dan
Dan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #9

You may run into a problem trying to mount a continental kit due to the bumper. And, you'll need it for 14" tires? Maybe you can figure out a way to pad the ring, but the cheapest continental kit I've found is from: Continental Kits For RV Van Trailer And More RV Tire Cover Van Tire Cover Trailer Tire Cover Stainless Tire Cover# I'm going to have one on my new 5er!!
Old 10-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #10

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
.....seeing as how we have a rigid cover (rigid fiberglass), (machine)washing is out of the question,,,,
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #11

California
Registry
It's difficult to see your fiberglass spare tire cover in your avatar and I don't see a photo of it in your registry. Could you post a photo and tell us the details of where you purchased it? Thank you
Old 10-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #12

I'm not Doug and there are no details, but here's a closeup photo: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post204056
Old 10-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #13

Name: Steven
Massachusetts
Thanks guys. Washed up just fine
sgmharvard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #14

Name: Liz
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
I'm surprised the '89 spare tire cover is still intact.
Yes! I have washed my 2011 Scamp spare tire cover in the manner Lynn suggests...cold water, gentle setting, air dry. But why stop there? I customize my spare wheel covers. So far I've made a fall foliage theme (see photos) and a Native American Southwest theme (sorry, no photo). The cover is easy to make and so is the pattern. Flannel-back vinyl (tablecloth) is easiest to cut and sew. I made the next one out of heavy-weight vinyl that I purchased at a fabric store.

Nice job! Do you happen to have the pattern for a 14 inch tire? Totally sewing illiterate here... but I might try to tackle this!

Liz
Lizzzys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #15

California
Registry
Just trace the perimeter of your wheel or measure it and make a compass of string and pencil to draw a circle. Add 1/2 " seam allowance. Cut strip of fabric about 9-10 inches deep (measure depth of tire and add generous seam allowance as you can always cut it down) and circumference of wheel. Sew casing on fabric strip to hold elastic. Check depth of strip needed and cut accordingly. Sew strip of fabric to circle. Pull elastic through casing. I use the narrow, do-it-yourself, bungee cord that is available at all hardware stores. Tie ends of cord. Voila! you have a tire cover.

Note: It's easiest to use fabric, vinyl, oilcloth that does not ravel and is waterproof. If you want to get fancy, put piping in the seams, but this can be a lot of work. I simply top-stitch the seam for a flat finish. Ask a seamstress or a cleaner who does alterations if you have questions.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:04 PM   #16

You can buy a brand new vinyl spare tire cover for less than $20 bucks on line. It's all about YOUR needs/wants and less about what ever one else likes....
Old 07-11-2014, 10:30 PM   #17

Name: Liz
Alberta
Thanks Gilda! I thought it would be a cute touch to having somewhat of a matching tire cover for our Scamp, so this looks perfect. I did look on Ebay etc. and found some at reasonable prices but none that particularly suited me so this will work great.
Lizzzys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #18

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Funny I came across this thread, as I just attempted (key word) to clean mine tonight. All I did was get a big bucket in the basement, run warm water and Simple Green in there. It certainly took care of surface dirt and some tire "black" inside on the fuzzy stuff, but alas, the tire cover is still not coming perfectly clean. Didn't want to scrub the outside where the Scamp logo is, so I just took a little brushing to the elasticated ends.

Good enough!
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp