Cleaning Tips for RV's - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-22-2003, 12:58 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posted by Bonnie Copeland, Member:

Cleaning
Our Casita has been in storage for 18 months, and there's a lot of mildew and mold growing in the usual damp spots. I'm thinking of renting or buying a steam cleaner (real steam, NOT hot water) to try to kill the mildew, and disinfect / deodorize the interior. Has anyone tried this, and what was the result?

---------------------------
Bonnie & Taoward

Old 05-07-2003, 06:16 PM   #16

cleaners

Posted by Joe MacDonald, Member:

cleaners
for a good grease and grime remover I use Butcher's Speedball

works on glass, metal, vinyls-- *** Caution*** this will dull some paints, so do a test area first. It works great for mold, mildew on insolite liners, also tobacco stains.

It does not seem to do well on fabrics, But I love it for the other stuff
Joe

Old 05-07-2003, 06:42 PM   #17

Posted by Charles Watts, Member:

>>butcher's speedball

I think I used to put this on my flat-top.
-----------------------------

Old 05-08-2003, 08:03 AM   #18

cleaning

Posted by Lou Edwards, Member:

cleaning
suggest you go to http://www.surroundair.com
Old 05-19-2003, 02:49 PM   #19

Odors

Posted by JR Holland, Member:

Odors
I have good luck in removing odors from various things by washing all hard surfaces with baking soda or simple green. Rinse well. Then put an open dish of baking soda AND a homemade orange oil diffuser inside. Close and let sit (be sure it is very dry inside). Change the baking soda and refresh the oil every few days. This worked to take the nasty smoke smell out of a refrigerator (I don't know if the previous owners were smoking IN the fridge or what but it smelled like an old ashtray). Seems to me this would help reduce the smell inside an old trailer too.

Homemade Orange Oil Diffuser

*1/4 cup orange oil cleaner (an environmentally freindly cleaner, can substitute lemon oil cleaner)
*paper towel
* 12 0z. plastic disposable cup
Loosley crumple the paper towel so it has lots of surface area. Put it in the paper cup so it is completely inside but only a small part is touching the bottom of the cup. Pour oil cleaner over it. This will allow the oil to evaporate more quickly. Refresh as needed to keep the paper towel moist.

For less obnoxious odors you can also use a few drops of an essential oil on a paper towel and tucked inside (lavendar, rosemary, sweet orange, sage and tyhme are some of my favs). Do be careful with any oil though, it can stain fabric and other porous surfaces.
JR
Freedom AND Wheeled Peace
'77 Trillium 4500/'02 Subaru Forester
Old 05-19-2003, 03:06 PM   #20

Natural Cleaners

Posted by JR Holland, Member:

Natural cleaners
You can do an amazing amount of cleaning with about 25 cents worth of cleaners (Ok, a bit more in Canada!) and avoid the toxicity and environmental dangers of harsher chemicals.

Some simple but powerful cleaners I use:

Glass Cleaner Spray
2 c. distilled water
1/4 c. white vinegar or lemon juice
2 drops essential oil (such as rosemary or lavender)

Antibacterial Cleaner
Fill an empty spray bottle almost to the top with equal parts vinegar and water leaving enough room for 4 tbsps of lemon juice and 1 tbsp of tea tree oil. Scent with lavendar, rosemary or thyme oils if desired.

Oven/ Grill Cleaner
1 cup salt
1/2 cup borax (you know, 20 Mule Team stuff)
32 ounces baking soda
2 cups white vinegar

Take a portion of the powdered mix and add a small amount of water to make a paste. Spread on oven. Allow to set for 30 minutes then wipe clean using vinegar. This works on many grungy surfaces.

Stainless Steel Cleaner
I use this on my sink and it really sparkles.
Sprinkle on equal amounts of borax and baking soda. Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil (lavendar and rosemary both smell great and have antibacterial qualities). Add a few drops of water to make a paste. Use a moist sponge to scrub with the paste. Rinse well.

Just keep in mind that while these cleaners are much safer than most, they still should be kept out of reach of anyone who doesn't know better than to eat them or drink them. Be sure to test them before using on plastic or other easily scratched surfaces. Baking soda cleans well without scratching, but you still want to be sure.
JR
Freedom AND Wheeled Peace
'77 Trillium 4500/'02 Subaru Forester
Old 06-23-2006, 11:16 AM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
This is worth revisiting.

Any of you have something to add for the benefit of us all?

Old 06-23-2006, 06:15 PM   #22

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Tirah
Quote:
' date='Apr 15 2003, 01:10 PM' post='150599']
Posted by Rick, Moderator:

[b]Cleaning Tips for RV's; please post your solutions

I'd like to get a topic specific thread going regarding the cleaning of our trailers both inside and out.

PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD TOPIC SPECIFIC :

What do use to clean your RV? Waxing, odors, grime, grit, mold, mildew, black streaks, rust marks, etc, etc. Have you found a product that works better than others. Have you experienced products that don't work? Do you have a home-remedy replacement? Advise any do's and don'ts that you have encountered. Please be as detailed as you can or must be. Don't assume anything, it'll help others. Thanks!

Rick

*Leadfoot in a Bigfoot*

95 Bigfoot 25B21 (21.5FT)

Great topic! Our trailer had been sitting in the desert for four years, so it had been invaded by stray cats, rodents, bugs, and who knows what else.

For urine odors: Nature's Miracle, Vinegar, Borax, or Baking Soda (individually) seems to do the trick. Our trailer is finally not smelling much like a catbox anymore.

I washed two of my cushions by putting them in the bathtub with laundry detergent and water and stomping on them. But warning- it took over a week for them to dry in the hot, California sun. I think they could possibly fit into a commercial oversized dryer and dried on no or low heat, though?
Old 06-25-2006, 08:09 AM   #23

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
' date='Apr 22 2003, 05:58 PM' post='151309']
Posted by Bonnie Copeland, Member:

[b]Cleaning
Our Casita has been in storage for 18 months, and there's a lot of mildew and mold growing in the usual damp spots. I'm thinking of renting or buying a steam cleaner (real steam, NOT hot water) to try to kill the mildew, and disinfect / deodorize the interior. Has anyone tried this, and what was the result?

Bonnie & Taoward
I would suggest not using a steam cleaner as you can also loosen/remove caulking. A solution of 1 cup bleach to 3 cups water with a squirt of dish soap to decrease the surface tension will do a good job on the mold and kill it. Just be sure to rinse well when finished.

By the way, rust stains can easily be removed using the rust removal powder used on driveways etc. (Lowes/Home Depot). Make a paste and apply and let stand. Reapply as necessary for complete removal.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:14 PM   #24

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
YOW! My wife bought me a Black & Decker Model 1600 pressure washer for my birthday/Father's Day. So I took it to where we store our Casita today and assembled it to wash the Casita in preparation for our five-day trip beginning on Wednesday.

There were several nagging spots on the Casita that had mildew (or what I assume was mildew) that I could not clean. These spots were the exterior end pieces of the awning and the rivet caps. I had tried everything to get the mildew off of these pieces up to and including bleach with a hard-bristled brush and lots of elbow grease. No go. Still mildewed.

So today as I was washing and waxing the Casita I decided to try hitting these areas with a powerful, concentrated jet of high pressure water.

It worked!

Both the awning ends and every rivet cap look like new!
Old 06-26-2006, 10:19 AM   #25

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
[b]YOW! So today as I was washing and waxing the Casita I decided to try hitting these areas with a powerful, concentrated jet of high pressure water.

[b]It worked!

Both the awning ends and every rivet cap look like new!
The rivit caps can be cleaned by simply removing them and dropping them in a bleach solution BUT by the time they are discolored/stained it is usually best to replace them with new ones as they become chalky and brittle after a couple of years in the sun. Casita and Scamp both sell cap kits and they can be purchased a number of other places.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:18 PM   #26

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
NU finish will keep things shiny. Also toothpaste will take scratches off of plastic. It works great on old sunglasses too.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:08 PM   #27

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
The rivet caps are not at all chalky or brittle. They were just discolored. However, I do need to buy some extra ones just in case I lose one (or several) or when they do become brittle or chalky.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:56 AM   #28

Trailer: 17 ft Oliver Legacy Elite
Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck-H
We bought a used white camper shell and the dealer washed it and I used Nu Finish to polish it before they put it on the truck. The dealer and lot person both came out to see some amatuer clean up a 5 year old shell... they're using it now!
The finish seems to last about a year but easy to apply and just wipes off.