Cleaning Tips for RV's - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2003, 02:10 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Cleaning Tips for RV's

Posted by Rick, Moderator:

Cleaning Tips for RV's; please post your solutions

I'd like to get a topic specific thread going regarding the cleaning of our trailers both inside and out.

PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD TOPIC SPECIFIC :

What do use to clean your RV? Waxing, odors, grime, grit, mold, mildew, black streaks, rust marks, etc, etc. Have you found a product that works better than others. Have you experienced products that don't work? Do you have a home-remedy replacement? Advise any do's and don'ts that you have encountered. Please be as detailed as you can or must be. Don't assume anything, it'll help others. Thanks!

-----------------------------
Rick

*Leadfoot in a Bigfoot*

95 Bigfoot 25B21 (21.5FT)

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 03:35 PM   #2

Posted by Emmit D. Acklin, Member:

A very good, and needed, topic. I'll be watching this one. Also how about including something on lubricating such things as Locks, latches, hinges, drawer slides and those little ball like fasteners that hold the cabinet doors closed.

Emmit D.
The Sage of Terrapin Knob.

Old 04-15-2003, 06:51 PM   #3

Posted by Suz, Moderator:

Quote:
Orginally posted by Emmit D. Acklin

A very good, and needed, topic. I'll be watching this one. Also how about including something on lubricating such things as Locks, latches, hinges, drawer slides and those little ball like fasteners that hold the cabinet doors closed.
I keep a small bar of soap (motel offerings are great) in my trailer. They are great for the drawer slides and for the type of door latches you mention. This works great on the drawers in your house also. Also good for getting those stubborn screws to drive in easier.

Since my unit was older, there were several things that needed a quick swipe of the bar of soap (used dry). My sewer cap was really hard to remove and the drain line a little stubborn to attach. Swipe both with the bar of soap and work it back and forth for a minute and it'll work smoother than silk.

Suz
1989 Casita
16 ft Spirit Deluxe

Old 04-15-2003, 07:01 PM   #4

Oops

Oops
Sorry, Rick. I think I already got us off topic.

Two things I always keep in my trailer are:

1. Baby Wipes (learned from our very own Charles Watts). They are great for those quick wipe ups when on the road. Removes bird souvenirs very easily.

2. A spray bottle of ProtectAll. Works on any hard surface inside or outside of our trailers. Removes black streaks, etc. It works on windows, chrome, aluminum, paint, fiberglass...you name it. I never leave home without it. Leaves a great UV protection and shine. Also good on wood.
Suz
1989 Casita
16 ft Spirit Deluxe

Old 04-15-2003, 09:30 PM   #5

Posted by Mary F, Moderator:

>>A spray bottle of ProtectAll [...] great UV protection

It was suggested at the Texas Bluebonnet Casita Festival (all molded fiberglass travel trailers welcome) that some people use it as sunscreen.

Sorry, Rick, I've really ruined your topic now. (One look at my Casita and you'll know I'm not the person to ask about keeping it clean.)
Mary Foster
1999 Casita (17ft Liberty Deluxe)

Old 04-16-2003, 02:16 AM   #6

Well..that didn't take long - did it?

Well..that didn't take long - did it?
LOL.......

Seriously.....we can all learn alot.....some of the topics have been touched on...I'm just hoping to condense them in this thread like Noel did.

But really....everyone has great ideas so keep them coming.
Rick

*Leadfoot in a Bigfoot*

Old 04-16-2003, 10:31 AM   #7

Removing stickers, decals, scuff marks on linoleum, etc.

Removing stickers, decals, scuff marks on linoleum, etc.
I use a product called GOO GONE (about 3 or 4 bucks). Apply generously and let it soak in for a few minutes then wipe off. No muss no fuss.
Rick

*Leadfoot in a Bigfoot*

Old 04-16-2003, 04:47 PM   #8

Cleaning tip

Posted by adrian, Member:

Cleaning tip
Since I just purchased my first Scamp, I have been in the process of cleaning it up. I found that Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish does wonders on the metal (alluminum) rim where the top and bottom of the Scamp meet. Mine was dull and tarnished and the cleaner made it shine like new. You probably already knew that, but I thought I'd post it just in case.

I also swear by Nu Finish Car wax for the fiberglass. The Scamp had several drip marks around the vents etc. which would not come off with washing. The Nu Finish took it right off.

Adrian
Adrian and Nichole Lee
16 feet of Pleasure!
94 Scamp Deluxe

Old 04-16-2003, 07:12 PM   #9

Posted by Thomas and Janifer, Moderator:

Nu Finish - I've heard that's good for the cars/trucks, but never thought about for the trailer, Thanks Adrian.

and protect all?? I've heard of that one too, but thought it was for vinyl. only? Learn something everyday. Thanks

Jana Journeycake
PullsButtercupwithYellaEscape
1975 Surfside TM-14 (ft)

Old 04-16-2003, 08:42 PM   #10

Posted by pjanits, Member:

I just read the other day here that Lacquer Thinner removes old silicon. I gave it a try in one area around that rear window you can see to your left, and by golly, it sure does. If used lightly it will also clean off that top layer of icky scummy dark gunk on the silicon.

Pete

Old 04-17-2003, 11:41 AM   #11

ProtectAll

[b]ProtectAll
Quote:
Orginally posted by Thomas and Janifer

...and protect all?? I've heard of that one too, but thought it was for vinyl. only? Learn something everyday. Thanks
From their website ProtectAll:

Protect All Does It All
Advanced formula with carnauba wax
luster and durability!
Protect All Polish, Wax & Treatment
with UV Blocker
Advanced formula Protect All with UV Blocker is an extremely effective cleaner, polish, wax, treatment and protectant for all types of vehicles and surfaces. The application is as quick and easy as wipe on, wipe dry and it requires no tedious detailing around lettering and rubber molding.
Superior quality carnauba wax creates and maintains a durable and lustrous showroom shine. This versatile and economical product is perfect for the do-it-yourselfer or professional detailer to beautify and protect clear-coats, paint, aluminum, fiberglass, gelcoats, chrome, stainless steel, glass, vinyl, rubber, plastic and more. Protect All really does do it all!

If you need to recapture the shine, I think you'll have to use more than the ProctectAll (Strarbrite boat polish with cleaners is good), but this stuff is great for maintenance. You can get it at Wal-Mart.

Suz
1989 Casita
16 ft Spirit Deluxe

Old 04-17-2003, 11:45 AM   #12

Aluminum trim

Aluminum trim
The belly band on my Casita was very oxidized (like 14 years worth). I used boat polish with cleaners and 0000 steel wool. WOW! I have kept it shiny using the Protect all. Same with the aluminum piece over the door.
Suz
1989 Casita
16 ft Spirit Deluxe

Old 04-20-2003, 09:31 PM   #13

Cleaning Tips

Posted by Richard Lewis, Member:

Cleaning Tips
Got these from fiberglass boat dealer and a top rate
fiberglass manufacturer in this country

(Try in this order).

Start with Simple Green or Fantastic - if not work
Then go to alcohol - if not
Then on to Goo Gone - if not
Then use lighter fluid or Goof Off - if not
Then use auto polishing compound - if not
Then use auto rubbing compound - if not
I suppose you could use 0000 steel wool, BUT

The boat dealer and manufacturer did NOT mention
that one. That came from a post here.

I have never had to go farther than rubbing compound.
Then wax or seal.

Thanks...
----------------------------
Richard Lewis

Old 04-21-2003, 05:19 PM   #14

Cleaning

The bumpy yellow wall covering inside of our 1979 Trillium was grimy and the more I scrubbed with regular commercial cleaners, the worse it got. The regular cleaners dissolved the grime just enough to let it settle permanently into the recesses of the bumps.

Simple Green and a scrub brush floated the dirt and grim the top of the bumps. I rinsed once with clean water and then quickly dried each washed area with a turkish towel. It did a great job!

Old 04-22-2003, 11:58 AM   #15

Posted by Bonnie Copeland, Member:

Cleaning
Our Casita has been in storage for 18 months, and there's a lot of mildew and mold growing in the usual damp spots. I'm thinking of renting or buying a steam cleaner (real steam, NOT hot water) to try to kill the mildew, and disinfect / deodorize the interior. Has anyone tried this, and what was the result?

---------------------------
Bonnie & Taoward

Old 05-07-2003, 05:16 PM   #16

cleaners

Posted by Joe MacDonald, Member:

cleaners
for a good grease and grime remover I use Butcher's Speedball

works on glass, metal, vinyls-- *** Caution*** this will dull some paints, so do a test area first. It works great for mold, mildew on insolite liners, also tobacco stains.

It does not seem to do well on fabrics, But I love it for the other stuff
---------------------------
Joe

Old 05-07-2003, 05:42 PM   #17

Posted by Charles Watts, Member:

>>butcher's speedball

I think I used to put this on my flat-top.

Old 05-08-2003, 07:03 AM   #18

cleaning

Posted by Lou Edwards, Member:

cleaning
suggest you go to http://www.surroundair.com

Old 05-19-2003, 01:49 PM   #19

Odors

Posted by JR Holland, Member:

Odors
I have good luck in removing odors from various things by washing all hard surfaces with baking soda or simple green. Rinse well. Then put an open dish of baking soda AND a homemade orange oil diffuser inside. Close and let sit (be sure it is very dry inside). Change the baking soda and refresh the oil every few days. This worked to take the nasty smoke smell out of a refrigerator (I don't know if the previous owners were smoking IN the fridge or what but it smelled like an old ashtray). Seems to me this would help reduce the smell inside an old trailer too.

Homemade Orange Oil Diffuser

*1/4 cup orange oil cleaner (an environmentally freindly cleaner, can substitute lemon oil cleaner)
*paper towel
* 12 0z. plastic disposable cup
Loosley crumple the paper towel so it has lots of surface area. Put it in the paper cup so it is completely inside but only a small part is touching the bottom of the cup. Pour oil cleaner over it. This will allow the oil to evaporate more quickly. Refresh as needed to keep the paper towel moist.

For less obnoxious odors you can also use a few drops of an essential oil on a paper towel and tucked inside (lavendar, rosemary, sweet orange, sage and tyhme are some of my favs). Do be careful with any oil though, it can stain fabric and other porous surfaces.
JR
Freedom AND Wheeled Peace
'77 Trillium 4500/'02 Subaru Forester

Old 05-19-2003, 02:06 PM   #20

Natural Cleaners

Posted by JR Holland, Member:

Natural cleaners
You can do an amazing amount of cleaning with about 25 cents worth of cleaners (Ok, a bit more in Canada!) and avoid the toxicity and environmental dangers of harsher chemicals.

Some simple but powerful cleaners I use:

Glass Cleaner Spray
2 c. distilled water
1/4 c. white vinegar or lemon juice
2 drops essential oil (such as rosemary or lavender)

Antibacterial Cleaner
Fill an empty spray bottle almost to the top with equal parts vinegar and water leaving enough room for 4 tbsps of lemon juice and 1 tbsp of tea tree oil. Scent with lavendar, rosemary or thyme oils if desired.

Oven/ Grill Cleaner
1 cup salt
1/2 cup borax (you know, 20 Mule Team stuff)
32 ounces baking soda
2 cups white vinegar

Take a portion of the powdered mix and add a small amount of water to make a paste. Spread on oven. Allow to set for 30 minutes then wipe clean using vinegar. This works on many grungy surfaces.

Stainless Steel Cleaner
I use this on my sink and it really sparkles.
Sprinkle on equal amounts of borax and baking soda. Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil (lavendar and rosemary both smell great and have antibacterial qualities). Add a few drops of water to make a paste. Use a moist sponge to scrub with the paste. Rinse well.

Just keep in mind that while these cleaners are much safer than most, they still should be kept out of reach of anyone who doesn't know better than to eat them or drink them. Be sure to test them before using on plastic or other easily scratched surfaces. Baking soda cleans well without scratching, but you still want to be sure.
JR
Freedom AND Wheeled Peace
'77 Trillium 4500/'02 Subaru Forester