Cleaning up an old Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #1

Name: Jean
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Cleaning up an old Boler

Good day folks, looking to share some of my work and get some advice on cleaning up an old Boler.

My folks are away on holidays and I'm house sitting at the acreage for them. They have an old b-1300 that they inherited from their folks. It's been sitting for at least ten years or so. Now that they have retired, they have mentioned that they would like to clean it up and go camping again with it. Seeing as I have nothing better to do in the evenings and weekends while I'm out here, I figured I would clean it up and get it ready for them.

I don't know a great deal about this camper, not sure of the year. My father mentioned that it had some electrical problems and generally needed some attention.

From first inspection, it's obvious that it needs a great deal of cleaning, inside and out.

Needs the outside protected, and I'm thinking of doing the floor protectant trick on it (Zep here in Canada), after cleaning.

I also need to replace the roof vent. They actually have the new vent already, just will need to do the work. Suggestions on sealant?

As far as the electrical issues, it seems that old man pulled the panel, but I'm not sure how to test it for problems. Is there an area on this site that covers that?

Is there an area on the forum that has a checklist for me to go over to make sure this thing is road worthy?

Any help is appreciated. I've included some pictures to show what I'm working with.

Thanks.

justchillinout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #2

Alberta
First cleaning

Well, a little bleach and a power washer to start.

Next is the heavier chemicals!

Old 07-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #3

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by justchillinout View Post
Well, a little bleach and a power washer to start.

Next is the heavier chemicals!

Next get yourself a package of scotch-brite scouring pads and a couple cans of BarKeepers Friend and give it a good scrubbing and you will be amazed how much different it will look..After that you can use the ZEP......By the way it looks like a real gem to me.......
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #4

Alberta
Almost all cleaned up.

Well a trip to the dollar store, a couple bottles of Tilex and some elbow grease, and she's coming alive!

Old 07-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #5

Alberta
Couple issues

Well now that things are a little cleaner, I've noticed a few issues.

#1 - Broken/Cracked tail light lens.

Not too big of a deal, I think I might convert to LED's.

#2 - Stress fractures

Might explain why the tail light lens is cracked! A little impact at some point in its life. Not sure if I should be concerned with this.

#3 - Tire carrier

Looks like the tire carrier is pulling out. What should I do? I'm thinking quick fix is to get a bumper mounter tire carrier and abandon the old trailer mount. But what to do about the body damage?

Could really use some advice on this.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
I just want to say as a Mom to a 35, 32, and 26 year old----you're one great kid! I hope you get all the advice you're needing!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #7

Looks like someone didn't put stop nuts on the spare holder ..what it needed was a second set of nuts on the bolts to serve as a stop to keep the bolts from pulling through if someone tighten the nuts to tight drawing the bolts through the fiberglass. I can't really tell from the photo's how bad it is but you might be able to put them on now and it be OK..Also a spare rack mounted on the bumper as you mention would work..As far as trying to repair the damage I would probably try to seal the cracks and leave it along, because anything else would require a paint job to cover the repairs.......Theres a product that some people on here has used called Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Repair.... I personally have not used it but maybe someone else can chime in that has used it and tell how it may have worked for them.....It should help on any stress cracks you may have also..If after a good scrubbing there's still a faded look to it you might try sanding it down with 400 grit sandpaper.One of my trilliums was faded pretty bad and that worked great for me I used a electric palm sander and went over the entire camper turned out great, just make sure the gelcoat doesn't have any thin places in it where you might sand down through it and expose the fiberglass underneath..The gelcoat on most of these is fairly thick enough to take a little sanding just be careful..How big are those tail lights, I've got a set of round LED's I bought once to put on a Burro I once owned but they didn't work out.. If I can find them and if they will fit they are yours since your doing this as a favor for the folks...I'll dig around tomorrow and see if I can locate them and see what size they are.... The best that I can remember they were around 5" or 6" but can't remember for sure....GOOD LUCK WITH THE CAMPER RANDY...
Old 07-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #8

Alberta
Thanks for the help!

Thanks Vickie, a little labour is a small investment.

Randy, thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can get that crack repair locally. I did have some stuff that i used on a canoe once. I'll have to dig that up later.

Regarding the fading, in the past on cars and motorcycles that I've worked on, I've used rubbing compound to revive the paint. Do you know if that would work on the fibreglass? It looks like only the bottom half could use a little brightening up, the top doesn't look to shabby.

Now that the outside is mostly clean, looks like the list of repairs/maintenance grows!

Paint front and rear exposed frame (haven't looked underneath yet)
Repair tail light
Fix plug end on main wire harness.
Paint propane bottle holders (would like to convert to double bottles and maybe add a battery holder)
Replace roof vent
Fix dented aluminum vent cover
Try to straighten door (sagging a great deal)

I'm sure I'll find more, but my arms and shoulders have had it for a day! time to rest.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #9

I'm sure the rubbing compound will work but it will be a labor intensive job to say the least and I think if you plan on using the ZEP you'll have to strip it off because I think it has wax in it...Yea the bottom half was what I was talking about sanding, I think it would make the yellow really POP you may want to just sand a very small spot to see if it makes as much difference as I think it will..say somewhere just underneath a out of the way area......Don't forget to measure the tail lights if you want the ones I'm offering so I can make sure they work...RANDY
Old 07-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #10

Alberta
Hey Randy

I'll give the sanding option a try, should be relatively quick.

I know the rubbing compound would be a full day, just on the bottom half!

Thank you for the offer on the lights, however, I've only got less than a month to get the trailer done and I know how shipping across the border is. It is normally at least 6 weeks! But thank you, a million times thank you!
Old 07-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #11

Sorry about the lights, forgot about the border delays..If in the future you change you mind send me a P.M.....Good Luck RANDY
Old 07-16-2011, 10:17 PM   #12

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Fun project! Search for "bus LED taillights" - or even search large truck stops if you're driving by. I replaced my taillights with 7" LED round lights - they fit perfectly. I did have to re-drill the mounting holes, but not a big deal. Here are the ones I got, paid $40/pair I believe (can't remember the seller, but they're the same ones at this link)

17 LED 7" Round Stop/Tail/Park/Turn Bus Light Red | PartsSystems
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
Fun project! Search for "bus LED taillights" - or even search large truck stops if you're driving by. I replaced my taillights with 7" LED round lights - they fit perfectly. I did have to re-drill the mounting holes, but not a big deal. Here are the ones I got, paid $40/pair I believe (can't remember the seller, but they're the same ones at this link)

17 LED 7" Round Stop/Tail/Park/Turn Bus Light Red | PartsSystems

Looks like the exact same ones I have............................
Old 07-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #14

Alberta
Exterior Cleaning Mostly Done

Well, two days, lots of elbow grease and a whole lot more bug spray and I have one glazed egg!

Even in the evening sun, still looks pretty shiny!

And I want to give my thanks to my doners:

Now the rest of the week to get the remaining exterior things looked at.

Oh, Randy, I didn't sand the lower half. I tried it in the back, and indeed sanded the spare tire area, but it really didn't give a big enough of a change to make it worth while. Still look decent enough.

Also, found the manufacturers tag. 1976 Neonex out of Winnipeg.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #15

Really looks good, I think they will be very proud and grateful.....
Old 07-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
They are going to be soooooo excited. You have to take pictures of them when they first lay eyes on it and post them so we can all see. Great work!
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:36 AM   #17

Registry
Get away from there quickly. I can tell the addiction is taking hold already. If you find yourself searching parking lots for used eggs or searching the local classifieds get some counseling immediately. There is no known cure for this addiction and you will end up sending the rest of your days repairing Bolers.

This advice is from someone who has seen it first hand.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:30 AM   #18

Alberta
Doug, too late!! When I wasn't cleaning or searching the forum for answers, I was searching the local classifieds and RV parts stores for parts and accessories!

This is nothing new to me, I've been restoring and rebuilding old Honda CB750's for years. This is just another drug to feed the habit!
Old 07-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #19

Registry
Well then you should have known better.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:00 PM   #20

IT's A SICKNESS I'M TELLING YOU IT'S A SICKNESS WITH NO KNOW CURE!!!!

The family tried a intervention on me but I was WAAAAAY too far gone...save yourself while you still have some witts about youself..
...I'm going outside now to get myself a FIX!!! I'm going to sand on the 1300 frame until I get over the shakes or maybe it's get the shakes...I get it backwards in my current condition.....

Tags
boler