Clearance: 13 ft vs 16 ft - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2018, 07:37 AM   #1

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Clearance: 13 ft vs 16 ft

I currently have a very basic 13 ft Scamp, no shower, no water pump, no flush toilet, thus no holding tanks and their associated drains down below the floor.

I have a 16 ft on order, to be built next Oct-Nov. I plan to have a holding tank at least, and thus a drain.

I have a camping location I found in Florida recently that I hope to return to regularly. The unfortunate thing is that the road to this location is fairly rough and partially washed out. Minimum, private maintenance is done on this road, but I assume it will always be pretty bad with fairly deep holes that one or both wheels will drop into on occasion. Not so bad that a 2 wheel drive truck is unable to negotiate it without problem.

My question: is the ground clearance for the 13 ft vs 16 ft trailers significantly different?

My current trailer followed me through easily, but I'm concerned that the new trailer may bottom out on the drains. I understand Scamp will not install a lift kit and claim it will negatively affect towing and sway. Do others have experience with an aftermarket install? Expensive? Safe?

Thanks for any light you can shed.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I currently have a very basic 13 ft Scamp, no shower, no water pump, no flush toilet, thus no holding tanks and their associated drains down below the floor.

I have a 16 ft on order, to be built next Oct-Nov. I plan to have a holding tank at least, and thus a drain.

I have a camping location I found in Florida recently that I hope to return to regularly. The unfortunate thing is that the road to this location is fairly rough and partially washed out. Minimum, private maintenance is done on this road, but I assume it will always be pretty bad with fairly deep holes that one or both wheels will drop into on occasion. Not so bad that a 2 wheel drive truck is unable to negotiate it without problem.

My question: is the ground clearance for the 13 ft vs 16 ft trailers significantly different?

My current trailer followed me through easily, but I'm concerned that the new trailer may bottom out on the drains. I understand Scamp will not install a lift kit and claim it will negatively affect towing and sway. Do others have experience with an aftermarket install? Expensive? Safe?

Thanks for any light you can shed.
No worries! The 16 has plenty more clearance than your 13. It has a 3500 pound axle with a 22 degree down angle axle.
The 13 has a 22degree up 2200 pound axle...
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:12 AM   #3

None
Floyd, not really sure what my axle is exactly. It was replaced a couple of years ago with a new axle from Scamp, and was installed with modifications to make it bolt-on. I know this involved adding some mounting brackets.

My current trailer has fairly substantial ground clearance compared to many of the older Scamps. Mine is a '99 with the new axle.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:58 AM   #4

Registry
If you bought an axle stock axle for a 1999 Scamp13 from Scamp It would most likely be a 2200 pound axle with a 22° up attitude. Some from that year were even installed as leading arms. Either way, the overall ground clearance would be much less than a stock 16 made within the last few decades.
I have been encouraging Scamp to go with a 0° to provide more ground clearance for the 13 without success.
All new Scamp axles now use the bolt on kit and the 13 will likely will have a Lippert instead of a Dexter (same design).

It would be a simple matter to increase the clearance by adding a lift kit to your new trailer, but I assure you that the 16 has substantially more ground clearance, even with plumbing.

I must use a bit of caution on driveways with my 13 and I have added a skid plate to the tongue and relocated the pump to protect the front bath plumbing.

If your new Scamp16 is a front bath you might relocate the pump for further protection, but even that is not likely necessary.
Of course I would not endorse a Scamp for off road use, I'll leave that for others.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:27 AM   #5

None
Thanks Floyd.

The replacement axle was Scamps current axle. Here is the actual label on the installed axle. I am not knowledgeable enough to decipher all. As I said, this was installed as a bolt-on, based on Scamps recommendations to the installer.

I do see it is a 2200 lb like you said, and has a "22U" in the description, so perhaps 22 up angle as you say.

I will just go with the standard configuration and hope for the best.

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp axle.JPG  
Old 04-18-2018, 09:32 AM   #6

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
As little as it will help I can give some numbers off of mine (unknown how old the torsion axle is so it might be lower than a new one). I took the step off of mine, it was only a few inches off the ground and clearly the last owner hit something with it. The axle sits at 10", the drain for the grey tank is also at 10". So even if you took advantage of riding the high point on your tire, you are only looking at 10" on the driver side.
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:48 PM   #7

Registry
Just checked on a 2017 Scamp16D, from the ground to the bottom of the axle beam ( Lippert axle) 10"