Clicking noise when hooked to TV? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2019, 06:17 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Clicking noise when hooked to TV?

Just wondering what is the clicking noise about every 5 seconds when my Scamp is plugged into my tow vehicle. I assume it is related to some monitor between my TV battery and my rv battery, as the click stops if I unplug. It is hard to locate exactly where it comes from, and it is usually only audible at night. If my two batteries are talking, what are they saying? I understand that my TV alternator charges up my rv battery when I’m driving, but what’s going on when I’m parked?
Richard Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:20 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Circuit breaker?

The clicking noise could be a circuit breaker. Do you hear it more at the TV or RV, inside or out? Try pulling the fuses one at a time to see what circuit is causing it. A stethoscope may help also. Please let us know what you find.
It may be a bad or undersized breaker, If so, reply here with measured current, wire size and breaker rating.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:40 AM   #3

Sorry not to have been more clear. The clicking sound definitely comes from the RV, not the TV; it is just hard to say exactly WHERE in the rv. I assume it comes from the Intelli box that monitors all the voltage stuff (magic...) under one of the benches, but I haven’t yet dug down to listen there specifically. It is NOT a problem — it has been clicking from day 1 when we picked up the Scamp new 10 years ago. I was really just curious if someone more electrically inclined could satisfy my curiosity! If I unplugged the connection between RV and TV, no click. If I plug back in, click. Just wondering why my RV is even “talking” to my TV or TVbattery. If all load/lights are off in the RV, why is anything electrical going on at all? And why a click ONLY when wired up to the TV?
Old 09-17-2019, 06:13 AM   #4

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Davis View Post
Sorry not to have been more clear. The clicking sound definitely comes from the RV, not the TV; it is just hard to say exactly WHERE in the rv. ..<snip> .. And why a click ONLY when wired up to the TV?
Could it be a thermal overload breaker overheating, disconnecting, cooling reconnecting. (Like the old fashioned flasher/turn signal modules)
Do Scamps come with a main thermal breaker on the battery?
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:18 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Clicking noise when hooked to TV?

Just a note, and you probably already know this... When you’re parked, the umbilical should be unplugged, unless it’s only a short stop.

My Scamp is also ten years old, and it does not make any sound like you describe. Even if it’s not causing a problem, it’s not normal and deserves investigation. I’d certainly start with the power center. It’s a very rudimentary device from ten years ago, no smart charging circuitry, and it’s certainly not “talking” to anything but itself.

Could be something going on with the brakes, too. First step is to isolate the source.

If it does turn out to be the power center, it might be worth it to swap the whole thing out for an up-to-date unit to better protect your battery.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:41 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Are you using a Tekonsha brake controller. They pulse the brakes every few seconds to check the connection. Unplug the controller and see if it stops.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:17 AM   #7

I’ll have to check the trailer brakes. I do have them and that makes sense. In the past, even when I’m parked for the night but not unhooking the RV from the TV, I’ve unplugged just to stop the clicking sound all night, which is when one hears the quiet click. One night recently, though, I did not hear the click, and I discovered the next day that my alternator was not charging up my RV battery when driving, even though the running lights/turn signals etc were working. That led to discovering I needed to clean up some of the connecting points on the electrical plug going to the TV. Now we’re once again Happy Campers (never weren’t actually, but even happier now!). And the clicking now lulls me to sleep every night! Now curious, though — why do you think I should be disconnecting the electrical connection at night if I’m not unhooking the trailer from the TV?
Old 09-17-2019, 08:27 AM   #8

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
why do you think I should be disconnecting the electrical connection at night if I’m not unhooking the trailer from the TV?
So that if you discharge your trailer battery it doesnt also discharge your TV battery. Some tow vehicles disconnect the charge line when the ignition is off, other dont.
Still sounds to be like one battery is much stronger than the other, and the current going between the 2 is causing the thermal breaker to open/close.
Do you have a voltmeter?
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:56 AM   #9

Yes, I have a multimeter. What were you thinking I might do with it? I’ve still to check to see about Raspy suggestion re: trailer brakes.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:57 AM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Yes, I have a multimeter. What were you thinking I might do with it? I’ve still to check to see about Raspy suggestion re: trailer brakes.
+1 on Raz's suggestion

Listen at the brake drum
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:35 PM   #11

Yep, the clicking noise is from the trailer brakes! Listening at the drums did the trick. And Raz, thanks for your dead-on suggestion. Sorry I confused you with Raspy, who had been helping a lot with solar questions.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:42 PM   #12
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
.........Sorry I confused you with Raspy, who had been helping a lot with solar questions.
Not to worry. I've been called worse things.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:19 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Not to worry. I've been called worse things.
Worse things than "raspy"?