Closet door failure - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-13-2019, 02:45 PM   #1

Name: George
Trailer: Scamp 13 '
OH
Closet door failure

My new (delivered in January) Scamp 13 has, after just four trips and 12 nights, a failed closet door. The door just to the right when you enter (mine has a bathroom) pulled off all the hinge screws! I am surprised because I am the only user of the trailer and am not hard on it....I was shocked when the door came off in my hand one evening with only one screw left in the bottom hinge.

I have contacted Scamp and am waiting for an answer as to their solution, but wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and what tricks you may have used to beef up the hinges/screws. Thanks.

Doc Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:17 PM   #2

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
We have had various trailers over the years, and one thing you can count on is screws coming loose, after all it is like putting it through an earthquake for hours on end as you travel down the road. I have found that if I remove ALL screws (one at a time) and apply some lock tight or wood glue on the threads, I have no more problems. If your screws stripped out the wood in the door, you may have to either apply some wood glue to a wooden match and shove it into the hole and break it off flush with the door, then retighten the original screws. If that doesnít work, you could use larger diameter screws. Most all the screws could also be replaced by small machine screws with nylock nuts, but you would have to counter sink the wooden door screw holes to have the nylock nuts be flush with the door surface.
Best of luck, and keep us posted on what your solution was, and what Scamp had to say.
Dave & Paula

David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:54 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
There is a kneadable putty that has epoxy qualities made by JBWeld that I have had good luck using. You cut of the amount you want from a tootsie roll sized piece and force it in the stripped out hole. Push it in with a dull icepick or small pin punch. Worked well for me on some repairs on furniture.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:37 AM   #4

Name: George
Trailer: Scamp 13 '
OH
Thanks

Thanks to you both. My son is a woodworker and familiar with the products you mentioned. Will just go ahead and fix it and assume it is part of ownership, though I still hope to hear from Scamp next week.

GW
Doc Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:43 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
With a woodworker in the family, I would pursue getting real doors made. Most of the FG trailer manufacturers use either particle board or MDF. Neither holds screws that well. They then put a vinyl or paper overlay on them so they "look" like solid wood.

If you want painted doors, I used 1/2 inch birch on my old Trillium to replace some of the damaged doors.

1977 Trillium Painted Cabinet Doors by wrk101, on Flickr

1977 Trillium Painted Cabinet Doors by wrk101, on Flickr
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #6

Name: Alex
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Registry
Repair for wood screw holes

George,
For what it's worth I had a similar problem with my new Bigfoot. The sink cabinet door screws were stripped out, but I noticed before the door fell off! I didn't bother with warranty claim because the fix depends on the competency of the dealer's technician assigned to the fix. I glued toothpicks in the hole and used a size up on the screw. The Bigfoot has real wood doors, but the piece the doors screw into doesn't feel as stout. I'll just keep an eye on it for now. This video as an introductory overview of some options.

SnowballCamper is offline   Reply With Quote