Cold Temperature Eggs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2008, 08:08 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hello i am interested in buying a firberglass camper are there any suggestions out there. Will a Casita do well in cold temprature egg??
Steve C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:09 AM   #2

Hello all I am trying to figure out the forums here
Steve C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:38 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hello Steve. I split your question out of the Show Us your Rigs topic.. after all you're asking a question.

To move around the forums and post in appropriate topics or create a new topic, look at the forum title (and subtitles). They're really self explanatory.

Let us know if you have further problems, you'll get lots of assistance here

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:25 AM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Hi Steve,

Bigfoot is considered *the* all season trailer, however, Burro, Uhaul and Eggcamper are double hulled and insulated and very good at sub freezing temps.

I have a Burro and have done very well in very cold weather, into the teens F. Equipped with a good furnace and bedding, you should be comfortable under *normal* winter camping conditions.

Where are you planning on camping and what conditions?

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Steve,

Good question! Our major use is in winter. Previously to our daughter and family moving to Missouri, we would take at least two winter trips to enjoy a week or two of warm weather. Each trip started with a killer cold night in Oregon and ended with the same, enroute each way.

What we did was bring two sets of sleeping bags, a warm weather set and a cold weather set.

Now that we include Missouri on our itinerary for Thanksgiving, I have installed a vented propane fireplace that can be operated at night. That works reasonably well even with the limited insulation installed in a Scamp.

I removed all water tanks and apparatus, so there is nothing of importance to freeze up. We use gallon size bottles in the trailer and carry the bulk of our water in our tow vehicle. The sink now drains into a portable 2 gal container below the sink. The evening before settling in for a cold night, I get the coffee pot ready so all I need do is pop out of bed, light the burner and pop back into bed. By the time the coffee is ready, the trailer is warm enough for human consumption. :>)

It will be interesting how others cope with the cold!
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:32 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Hello i am interested in buying a firberglass camper are there any suggestions out there. Will a Casita do well in cold temprature egg??
HI Steve, I too am from New England, state of Maine, and have been out in low 30's but nothing colder then that in my 1980, 13ft. Boler.
I found that the small space of a 13 footer and the (what seems like) large heater can heat the space with no problem but as they say "Throw enough propane in the furnace and you can heat anything"
I also carry no water in the tank, and get and use what I need at my destinations.
With the thermostate set at 65 I find I can sleep well with just a Hudson Bay, wool blanket.
I imagine if I was to go out in some exteem cold I would crawl into my Sub-Zero, down Mummy sleeping bag and probably not get out of it until I was back home beside my wood stove.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:54 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Steve,
Instead of a Casita, you may want to look at EggCamper.

http://www.eggcamper.com/

They are made in Michigan and are located closer to you. Most people drive to the factory to pick up their campers to save the substantial delivery charge, upwards of $2000.

There is also a thread on this website that deals with eggcampers.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=29000

Unless you would like to buy a Trillium from Tom Young. You could hook up with Lloyd Cicetti and caravan out to pick them up.

If you do, tell him Roger sent you.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:36 AM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
"I have installed a vented propane fireplace that can be operated at night. That works reasonably well even with the limited insulation installed in a Scamp."

Could you tell us more about your fireplace, and maybe post a photo? I am just curious to see what you are talking about.
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:51 PM   #9

He might be talking about he popular wave heater Here
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Unless it was a typo, he said "vented"; the Waves are UN-vented, as are the Mr Heaters and the Colemans, and other ODS and catalytic heaters.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft and Trillium 4500
Quote:
Unless it was a typo, he said "vented"; the Waves are UN-vented, as are the Mr Heaters and the Colemans, and other ODS and catalytic heaters.

My Wave6 is vented, but it didn't come that way.
Jake Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:00 AM   #12

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Anything's possible!

The previous owner of my 13' trailer regularly winter camped with it up here in the Rockies doing ski patrol!

He had fashioned some plastic sheets with wooden strapping to install inside the windows as added insulation, insulated the roof vent and they said that the stock propane furnace kept them toasty.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote