Cold Weather Camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2008, 01:34 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan A
I'm planning some cold weather camping this fall/winter, and would love some advice on water. I would ideally like to use the trailer system (so that I can utilize the hot water), but realize that leaves my water tank, as it is, subject to freezing.

Any suggestions? I have an Escape 17' - with the water tank on the bottom at the rear. I would prefer something extremely energy efficient, as I plan to be dry camping for most of the trip.

Cheers,
Dirk
Dirk Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Dirk,
Have you contacted Escape? They may very well have the best method, or at the least be interested enough to work with you as you research a solution. That info would be valuable to others as well.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:26 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
It's really the water lines you have to worry about most because it takes a long time to freeze something like a water tank.

What some have done is just bring water in five-gallon containers, heating up the dishwater on the range.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:55 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
We kept our pipes and tank from freezing in 28 F degree weather simply by opening the cabinet doors a night.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
I've been on many cold-weather camping trips with my Casita. Of course, here in the South, "cold" is relative. I think the coldest it ever actually got on one of our winter trips was 18 degrees. We never had a problem with water freezing. Could it be because we have a furnace aboard? The furnace keeps the temperature inside toasty, so perhaps it affects the pipes, too?
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote