Cold Weather Camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2009, 05:32 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi everyone. I just purchased a casita trailer and am planning my first trip in the fall in the mountains of montana. The temps could be below freezing some mornings. I am looking for any advice as to what precautions I should take. Especially to prevent freezing of any water lines or holding tanks.
Ted Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Hi everyone. I just purchased a casita trailer and am planning my first trip in the fall in the mountains of montana. The temps could be below freezing some mornings. I am looking for any advice as to what precautions I should take. Especially to prevent freezing of any water lines or holding tanks.
Ted- I have been in weather down to about 10 degrees (F) in Elk camp in NOV.. I had water in plastic jugs under the bed and it froze overnite. !!! I don't use the water tank for that reason, as it would have taken until Spring to thaw out. Also, luckily, I was by myself, as my extra trousers froze to the back wall and my pillow to the side wall. If Carrie (AKA MS Right) would have been along, I would have frozen to the back wall.
So, what I am saying is be carefull, I don't think your furnace can pump enough heat to keep the tanks and lines thawed. It would a horrible draw on your battery, too. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:04 AM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Hi Ted, to the left of this page there is a link to winter camping.

Additionally, don't use your stove as a heat source unless it's an emergency and always ensure you allow fresh air exchange somehow.
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:06 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I camp in the mountains in November and the temperature can go down to 0 degrees (F). I dry camp in the National Forest with a fully winterized trailer for several weeks at a time. Take extra coolers (No Ice.) to store extra jugs of water and drinks so you can have some unfrozen water and drinks. Use a plastic dish pan instead of your sink because your trap can freeze and crack. Take a porta potty but don't fill it with flush water. Use a jug of water if you need to flush, and empty daily. For heat I use a Honda 2Ki Generator and use a cube heater during the day and evening. At night I use a catalytic heater with a CO2 and fire detector. You also need to slightly crack open your vent to let moisture to escape or everything will become damp at night. If possible hang up and air out bedding during the day. You will have condensation on your windows so place towels under your windows to catch excess condensation. I also place foil insulation over the windows during the evening and night. Cook outdoors as much as possible to cut down on condensation inside the trailer.
Just yesterday I picked up a Duo- Therm furnace out of an old pick-up camper which does not require a fan which I plan to put into my winter camper before the hunting season this year. It may seem like a hassle but fall and winter camping is much more enjoyable than camping in the heat of summer.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
I used to work at hunting camps in December. If it was cold and windy, we would hang tarps around the bottom of the campers to stop the wind and to provide a dead air space under the camper. It is surprisingly effective.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Charles Watts an extremely smart guy has (I think ) a cold weather talk somewhere in the document center?

At any rate the best info I saw from him was carry a hair dryer, so when your door freezes shut from condensation you can get your self out

pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
See here

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/winter_camping.html