Compact Jr - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2009, 06:48 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
theres one near here for sale..1972 compact jr and I have a few questions maybe some of you more experienced can answer.
are these worth having? so when restored as good as a uhaul or something?
anyone know the weight of this? I wanna pull it with my 67 ranchero
what is the length?....does it have brakes? or will it need a diffferent axle etc to accomodate that.....I'm quite handy with tools and car restoration and repair....will need my son for any interior finish work..rest I can handle......any ideas are appreciated...............Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
Oh my, where to start. My answers are for an unmodified Compact Jr.

Is a Compact Jr as good as a U-Haul or something?

I would say this depends on what features you want. I bought a Compact Jr (CJ) because I wanted light weight, lots of headroom when set up but short overall height when towing, and a large single bed (my wife insists on it and I agree).
<span style="color:#000000">
Generally, though, the quality of materials and workmanship in the original CJs is mediocre. For instance, the interior "woodwork" is contact paper on doorskins. I didn't care because I will eventually replace that stuff.

What is the weight?
I don't know the weight of mine yet, and it's changing as we speak as I'm in the middle of a remodel. I am trying to keep it at about 1200 pounds wet.

What is the length?
13' overall -- the interior is just shy of 10'

Does it have brakes?
No, the axle will have to be replaced in order to get brakes.

Can I tow it with
</span>my 67 ranchero
I don't know anything about the capabilities of your Ranchero, but big motors were common then. I towed a 27 foot Nomad with my mother's '63 Chevy Bel Aire.

However, I now have a 1993 Toyota Camry 4-cylinder which is rated at something like 150hp, and it struggles with the CJ on steep grades even at sea level. I believe something rated at 200+ hp would be an acceptable tow vehicle for the CJ, but I don't have any experience with that yet.
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:30 AM   #3

Trailer: Compact Jr
My sister's Compact Jr, loaded for a trip, weighs 1600 lb, with about 60 pounds on the tongue.

No brakes.

She tows hers with a RAV-4, used to tow with a PT Cruiser.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
My sister's Compact Jr, loaded for a trip, weighs 1600 lb, with about 60 pounds on the tongue.

No brakes.

She tows hers with a RAV-4, used to tow with a PT Cruiser.
YUP--- that's what our Compact weighs also -- loaded going down the road... I pull with my 65 El Camino and have to watch that I don't speed towing. No brakes on the trailer and haven't had a problem yet. (cross my fingers) Do have disc brakes on front of El Camino, tho.... Larry
Attached Thumbnails
IM000881__Small_.jpg  
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:35 AM   #5

Registry
the compact was sold before the gal answered me...too bad because it was only a few miles down the road............and yes my Ranchero has newer disc brakes installed also.....I think if i find a light enough camper I'll be okay,...If I have to add braakes I will..........I work for a company that deals in camper parts and installations also.........Bruce
Old 08-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Have you checked for the tow rating of your Ranchero? Once you know that you'll have a better idea of where you stand, vis-a-vis what trailers would be options for you.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Have you checked for the tow rating of your Ranchero? Once you know that you'll have a better idea of where you stand, vis-a-vis what trailers would be options for you.

Raya
not sure really.but it has more power and brakes and suspension than they ever came with... I just figured after seeing those things tied to alot of smaller cars Id be okay...either way I can do a brake install and axle on one if needed...and I like the squarish looks of the compact, beach comber,surfsides etc......a uhaul vt if one pops up would be my choice for a rounded one
Old 08-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
not sure really.but it has more power and brakes and suspension than they ever came with... I just figured after seeing those things tied to alot of smaller cars Id be okay...either way I can do a brake install and axle on one if needed...and I like the squarish looks of the compact, beach comber,surfsides etc......a uhaul vt if one pops up would be my choice for a rounded one
Here's one I saw over on Bolerama, it's in Newfoundland:

For SALE 1972 Trillium $3000.00 © In 2006 new axle with brakes, rewired running light's, new AC/DC fridge new paint. Thanks Pat 709-256-2834
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:08 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Here's one I saw over on Bolerama, it's in Newfoundland:

For SALE 1972 Trillium $3000.00 © In 2006 new axle with brakes, rewired running light's, new AC/DC fridge new paint. Thanks Pat 709-256-2834
where's newfoundland?...jk.....Im from conn and dont think i wanna chase down a passsport and travel that far to get one...thankyou though...........Bruce
Old 08-02-2009, 07:16 AM   #10

Quote:
where's newfoundland?...jk.....Im from conn and dont think i wanna chase down a passsport and travel that far to get one...thankyou though...........Bruce
It's north of you and east of Quebec. Yeah, you'd need a passport.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #11

If you're looking for a Boler, there's one for sale on Bolerama... and it's in Massachusetts:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/boler...es/?msg=8102.1
Old 08-04-2009, 06:04 PM   #12

Bruce, I can tell you that in this are, east of the big muddy, there are not many of the compact JR. at least not that I have seen. most are out west. We just got ours fall of 08 and have used it only 2 times and love it. planing to do allot of mods to this fun, cheap little camper. and the bed is the biggest I think you can get in one of these fiberglass campers. that is a big plu for me.
Heath G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Bruce, I can tell you that in this are, east of the big muddy, there are not many of the compact JR. at least not that I have seen. most are out west. We just got ours fall of 08 and have used it only 2 times and love it. planing to do allot of mods to this fun, cheap little camper. and the bed is the biggest I think you can get in one of these fiberglass campers. that is a big plu for me.
yeah.even though I contacted the people with the compact as soon as I seen it...it was already sold.too bad because it was only 3-5 miles away......either way I'm now purchasing a uhaul 13 from a fellow and look forward to it alot....my ranchero has discs also so I think it;ll be okay.....those compacts are cool looking too...too bad theyre so scarce out east
Old 08-15-2009, 06:51 AM   #14

Bruce, Sorry to see you mist the compact but at least it sounds like you found one you like. If you and your U-haul are up for a trip I know of 3 of use that will be at the New York Lake Erie State Park Sept 18th and 19th. I can only make it for the last 2 days of the rallly but others will be there from the 14th on. Not sore where in newengland you are but would love to see you and the new U-haul there. Good luck.
Heath G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Bruce, Sorry to see you mist the compact but at least it sounds like you found one you like. If you and your U-haul are up for a trip I know of 3 of use that will be at the New York Lake Erie State Park Sept 18th and 19th. I can only make it for the last 2 days of the rallly but others will be there from the 14th on. Not sore where in newengland you are but would love to see you and the new U-haul there. Good luck.
If i get it here and all ready by then id love to say yes..however that weekend my sons receiving an invitation to a invite only race at loudon new hampshire for ACT cars and I'm sure ill be there in the pits with him....I was wondering if there were any gatherings nearer to hear than the ones I read about so far away......Im from Stonington CT