Compact Jr. - History, Info, Original Interiors? - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-20-2009, 06:44 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Compact Jr
Michigan
Me again - 1973 Compact Jr.

I'm in the deciding what to do phase. The unit was painted on the inside all flat white - so I have a clean canvas to start with..

Does anyone have any pictures from any sales brochures.. etc... pictures of fabric swatches, curtain treatments...

(The 70's harvest gold and avocado green are out... LOL)

Of particular interest would be the curtains - what was originally used? What is in place are dime store cafe curtain rods and the 1.00 brackets screwed into the wood. The wood framing is being replaced as it's rotted.

Exterior - the original is a yellow/green - it was painted over - paint's coming off so I'm deciding what to do... Restore that Color or Repaint... What would have been the original color schemes?.

I'm looking to replace the canvas bonnet - with a marine grade clear - canvas - to turn the whole top into one big skylight... anyone do this?

Also I'm looking to velcro the bonnet all around - recommendations for a proper glue?

Thank you for your ideas!

Old 02-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
John, check out the Document Center in the left navigation bar

Name:   ArrowLeft.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  1.6 KB

unfortunately the Compact Jr. brochure we have is black & white, not color. But poking around in the Document Center you may find other gems you're looking for.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #3

Michigan
Thank you... I'll looking around there...

thanks - again.

John
Old 02-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
John,
Our 1973 Compact Jr. was painted beige on the outside when we bought it. Original fiberglass color was lime green. The interior vinyl wall covering was in good shape but the floor and ceiling were not. We've slowly removed or covered all the dark colors inside and used light colors. The flooring is maple laminate, the cabinet fronts are maple Formica, and the frig is covered in maple contact paper. The only dark colors are hunter green cushions and green plaid curtains. The idea was to make the inside look as big as possible.

Our vinyl collar between the 2 tops has been replaced with a new vinyl one with non-opening windows. I ran a bead of exterior grade Liquid Nails between the edges and the fiberglass to seal it.

If you plan to resell it soon, I'd stay very mainstream with colors, etc. If it's a long term trailer, do what pleases you.

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm41/to...mview=slideshow

Tom Trostel
Old 02-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #5

Michigan
Tom - thank you - great photos! Looks beautiful.

I've seen a few picts with the interior fabric covering... Is mold an issue when thinking about lining the interiors?
John
Old 02-21-2009, 12:37 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
We've never had a problem with mold on the vinyl wall covering, but we live on the dry prairie. There is some mold stain in a small area where the bottom cushion meets the wall under one window. It was there when we purchased the trailer 4 years ago and you have to search to see it.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #7

My sister's Compact Jr. was originally lemon yellow gelcoat, but is currently painted off-white with what appears to be latex house paint. The interior is glossy white paint on fiberglass; although other Compacts (I think Tom's is one) have a quilted vinyl interior covering, there's no sign that hers ever had any covering.

Her popup boot is a replacement, made of white naugahyde with smallish clear vinyl windows. The windows are sewn along the bottom edge and velcroed along the others, so they can be zipped open to allow ventilation through the (screened) window openings. If the top boot were entirely clear vinyl, I'd be concerned about it folding properly. And you'd lose the ventilation.

The cooktop is avocado green; someone had painted it white using house paint, which worked about as well as you'd expect ; I stripped it, and it, ahem, provides a delightful retro accent.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #8

John,

Do you have any pictures of your Compact Jr.? Do you have the original logo?

My Compact Jr. Pictures in progress
Old 02-23-2009, 10:27 PM   #9

Michigan
Hi, I'll post pictures soon... There is a plaque screwed to the side - with the logo on it...

thanks - all for all the good postings...

John
Old 02-24-2009, 01:02 PM   #10

Name: Jen
Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
I was also initially interested in restoring mine to like-original condition, but folks here had wonderful information and interesting points, not the least of which was something like, "Don't restore it to original anything unless you actually LIKE the original stuff. Do what pleases you. No one's looking for restored to original when they buy these."

Ours was originally robin-egg blue. No idea what the interior may have been, but what WAS in it was beat up, torn, stained and just plain wrong. So we picked out our own fabric and made our own covers and curtains.

Here are photos of our trailer, a work in progress.
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #11

Michigan
Thank you all for the comments - I'm looking forward to getting started on the project.

John
Old 02-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #12

When we purchased our Compact Junior we chose to make new slip covers for the mattresses and placed them over the original covers. They are like the ones in Tom's photos. After a year we decided to replace the foam and put the new covers over the cushions. I still have the originals. If some body wants them they can have them, I can bring them to the Northen Oregon Gathering late april. I can also take them off the foam and mail them. We can work out some cost. They are old, one spot worn through and in need of a treatment to make them brighter. Hard to tell if it is the residue of an earlier mildew or they were a dirty beige to start.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:56 PM   #13

Kent,

If you get a chance, thickness measurements of the originals would be helpful. I did not have any cushions in my trailer when I acquired it. How comfortable are the originals recovered, and do you have any suggestions with regards to increasing density/thickness.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:32 PM   #14

The original cushions are 4 inches thick. Another Compact owner has already asked for the cushions by PM and I have committed them to her. When we replaced the foam we went to a grade 4216 I think it was. . 4216 was guaranteed for 10 years by the supplier. For a few extra dollars we figured we would ensure they lasted. We haven't slept on them yet, they are firm when we laid on them and no chance of bottoming out.