Compact Jr., Hunter Structures, Inc.? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-11-2008, 01:54 AM   #15

Trailer: Compact Jr
Has anyone done a frame up restoration on a Compact? Are there any main issues to consider?

After further evaluation, I am contemplating lifting the body off to repaint the frame. I would also like to repaint the interior fiberglass walls, and considering a glossy coat of paint. If I raise the body off the frame, it looks like the entire inside needs to dismantled?

If I unscrew the face frames of the galley cabinets attached to the floor surface, is it possible to lift it up as a unit. The dinette will be easy to rebuild, and want to strengthen the framing for the seats. I could get away with bucket of paint, and few medium repairs.

Cliff

Old 09-11-2008, 05:04 AM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Has anyone done a frame up restoration on a Compact? Are there any main issues to consider?
Cliff
I guess you haven't spotted Larry's very good and very detailed topic, so here it is for you to click: I Did It Again...A Compact Jr.

Here's the link to the picture of the Compact Jr. logo in the albums: Compact Jr. Logo

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:39 AM   #17

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Quote:
I would also like to repaint the interior fiberglass walls, and considering a glossy coat of paint.
You are going to want some kind of insulation on the interior.

Bobbie
Old 09-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #18

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:

After further evaluation, I am contemplating lifting the body off to repaint the frame. I would also like to repaint the interior fiberglass walls, and considering a glossy coat of paint. If I raise the body off the frame, it looks like the entire inside needs to dismantled?

If I unscrew the face frames of the galley cabinets attached to the floor surface, is it possible to lift it up as a unit. The dinette will be easy to rebuild, and want to strengthen the framing for the seats. I could get away with bucket of paint, and few medium repairs.

Cliff
Cliff--- I see that Donna referred you to my "little" project and its pictures. Be FOREWARNED that a little upgrade can snowball into a big one.
As for lifting the body off, 16 bolts hold it on. Then the body can be slid off intact, just takes a little care not to tweak it. The cabinents are screwed, nailed, stapled, & ? together.... some screws thru the roof, some thru the floor. The front cannot be taken off without some damage to the structure-- that's why the fridge/closet structure was completely rebuilt. We didn't remove the sink/stove structure out of fear, mostly, just the front and then repaired the damage we did to it, and cut off the dryrotted bottom part and scabbed good wood in. Also, the fiberglass hood area over the sink/stove galley area was ok, and looked to be a can of worms to remove.
Another good place to look at a rebuild is Darrel Smith's rebuild of his compact JR, 1973 Compact II by Hunter, "Frameless Restoration" repost he did the interior over completely (in all aluminum) now, that had to be challenging.
Good Luck and don't be hesitant to PM me with particular questions--- I'll help anyone brave/foolish enuff that takes on a "simple" little project. Larry
Old 09-12-2008, 12:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Cliff--- I see that Donna referred you to my "little" project and its pictures. Be FOREWARNED that a little upgrade can snowball into a big one. ..snip...

...snip...Good Luck and don't be hesitant to PM me with particular questions--- I'll help anyone brave/foolish enuff that takes on a "simple" little project. Larry
Larry, thanks for the encouraging words! I will refer to your pictures, often. I posted in your build thread also, I will certainly have some questions later.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:23 AM   #20

Thumbs up

Quote:
P.S. I also need a roof vent cap over the refrigerator. Any suggestions?
P.S.S. Any scans of brochures, or manuals would be nice to have.
Anyone know where I can get a replacement for the front window rock guard?
My 1971 does not have the original mounting holes for the brackets, so I don't think it was installed from the beginning, but would like to add it.

Can anyone provide a good close up photo of how the vent cap above the refrigerator attaches to the brackets? Perhaps I can fabricate the brackets, or find new ones.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:41 AM   #21

Quote:
I guess you haven't spotted Larry's very good and very detailed topic, so here it is for you to click: I Did It Again...A Compact Jr.

Here's the link to the picture of the Compact Jr. logo in the albums: Compact Jr. Logo
Donna D.
I apologize that I have not responded earlier to your references. Thank you for the referrals. You probably noticed me bouncing around the different Compact threads. I did a search, and read deep into the earlier posts. I forget which persons, were discussing a vector file clone of the Compact Jr. logo. I left a post in the older thread, but hopefully someone will revive the effort. I have enough outline of my decal to trace the logo. So if someone does not beat me to it, hopefully there will be a logo on file here suitable to take to the printer for a vinyl cut.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:39 PM   #22
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Hi Cliff. Welcome to FiberglassRV.com. One more link I don't think anyone has posted here (although you might've already found it in your searching) is:

Compact and Hunter history, lots of unknowns.
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:10 PM   #23

Trailer: Compact II 1973
Quote:
hopefully there will be a logo on file here suitable to take to the printer for a vinyl cut.
Hi Cliff welcome! I just did a vector graphic of my compact II logo. Maybe it will be enough to get a start for someone on your jr logo. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=31736
Also I ran across and ad stating Hunter structures, Dallas. I will try to find and post it. Its hard to believe how scarce the info out there is.
-Shelly
Old 09-26-2008, 06:10 PM   #24

Trailer: Compact II 1973
Here is that ad. This is the first mention of Dallas I have seen most of the info has said Hunter industries of CA. Who knows? Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
popmechmarch1973.jpg  
Old 09-28-2008, 06:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Here is that ad. This is the first mention of Dallas I have seen most of the info has said Hunter industries of CA. Who knows? Enjoy
Thanks for sharing the logo and ad of the Compact II. You did a great job on the logo. Hopefully, some one will appreciate the Compact logo for their II series. Hopefully, someone will have similar files for the Compact Jr. If that were the logo for the CJr., I would have already had the envelope addressed to send share in costs of the printing.

Anyone out there have a Compact Jr. brochure, or logo?
Old 09-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #26

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
I posted a pretty good picture I took at the Oregon Gathering here: relief pic of the original Compact Jr. logo
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #27

Name: Jen
Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:
Thanks for sharing the logo and ad of the Compact II. You did a great job on the logo. Hopefully, some one will appreciate the Compact logo for their II series. Hopefully, someone will have similar files for the Compact Jr. If that were the logo for the CJr., I would have already had the envelope addressed to send share in costs of the printing.

Welcome, Cliff, and sorry for the LONG delay on the Compact Jr. graphic. One member did a rubbing of his raised CJ logos, and another sent photos. But I received it all just days before we took off for a VERY long (9,117 miles) "test run" of our "new" CJ. We found the trailer three weeks before we took of (one of which we were out of town) and I used most of my time revamping the onboard water, propane and electrical systems, all of which were either half complete or half non-functioning, depending upon how you look upon that glass!

The trailer worked wonderfully throughout our trip, though the road to Chaco Canyon in New Mexico did some bad things to the cabinetry. I suspect the floor shifted, but haven't unpacked deep enough to discover the source of the shift. I hope it was just a general rattle that undid a few fastners.

Have big plans for the trailer's renovation (ala Larry), but will likely have to tone it down a bit. I'll get to those logos as soon as I get unpacked. Not sure how I'll make them into graphics that can be taken to printer, but I'll futz with it next week sometime.

If you'd like to see photos and blog of our journey, click on that link below my signature.

Thanks, Larry, for your invite, photos and encouragement...we'll be tapping you for more details this winter!

Jen in Orcutt, CA
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #28

Name: Joe
Trailer: Hunter Industries
California
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
WOW Jen!!
Your website is really nice! Pics and video clips are great, it's like I was on your trip, and really just makes me jealous and want to go on vacation even more! hehe
I haven't had the opportunity to do a solo trip like yours with my rig, but I'm REALLY looking forward to it SOON! Keep on blogging so we all can enjoy!

Joe