Compact Jr., Hunter Structures, Inc.? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #1

Trailer: Compact Jr
Hello,
First post here. Just acquired a Compact Jr.

I am looking for more information on the Hunter Structures, Inc. that manufacturerd the Compact Jr. 1971 trailer. How many of these trailers were made?

Looking for original graphics replacement, and believe it was a sticker.

Looking for the pop up canvas/window. Perhaps someone has already duplicated a replacement, and can provide either templates or the service of acquiring a replacement.

Cliff
Long Beach, CA
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #2

Trailer: Hunter 1 / Chevy Blazer
Registry

Cliff,
Welcome to another square cracked egg. I had my top canvas remaid in Chula Vista, Ca at Stark Ind. They did a great job and worked off the old one. But I didn't keep the old one for a template, sorry. When I had mine redone I doubled the screen windows and left off the roll down plastic covers. If I get cold, I just pop the top down.

Sorry I don't have the Compact logo, mine is a Hunter. We need to see pictures. What color is yours?
See my strawberry on page 15 of "Show us your rigs".

Linda
Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Cliff,
There doesn't seem to be much history about Hunter. The Jr. was made from about 1968 through 1975. I estimate 2000 were made. At the same time Hunter was making the Compact II and some were labeled as Hunter II's. The most interesting fact was the rainbow of colors that were sold.

Jen was working on getting Compact Jr logos made and I don't know what progress has been made on that front.

I have the original vinyl collar that was removed when I had a local shop make a new one. You are welcome to it to use as a pattern.

Tom Trostel
Old 09-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Yeah, the vinyl is quite simple--- especially if ya leave the windows out. I did on my Compact Jr, and just added another roof vent over the cooking area in the galley. I figured that enuff light would come thru the other windows and one less palce for wind, rain, etc to come thru. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Looking for original graphics replacement, and believe it was a sticker.
Mine only had one decal on the entry door, but I have seen them with logos on each side as well. I sold my Compact Jr. several years ago.

I thought I had seen a photograph of a trailer that had plastic plaques instead of decals.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
My 1972 Compact junior has plastic plaques embossed with the logo. No decals.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:59 PM   #7

I am still figuring out this board, and how to post pictures. My Compact Jr. is the canary yellow. On the street side, there is an adhesive outline where the logo use to be. I don't see the same on the curb side. I have seen the plaque emblem on other pictures, but I don't think it was original on mine.

Sorry, these pictures are just after I brought it home, didn't even unhook it yet. I will have more of the interior when I scrub it down a bit. It has a Dometic refrigerator, stove, no oven.

Are the striped graphics a sticker, or is it painted on?

I read somewhere that the Compact Jr. was only made in 1971-73, but of course you folks are more familiar with the history. I just recently searched the internet.

Tom, I may take you up on your offer, and really appreciate a pattern. There may be a slight possibility that the lady I bought the trailer from has it stored somewhere, but she can't remember. I have my fingers crossed. I contacted another friend who owns a Compact Jr., and may have another lead on someone who can make it.

By the way, there is a picture of a 1972 Compact Jr. in the just released Douglas Keister's Teadrop book, pg. 116. I know the owner of that one, and will be seeing the trailer at the next Spamboree rally to get a closer look.
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2008, 11:04 PM   #8

P.S. I also need a roof vent cap over the refrigerator. Any suggestions?
P.S.S. Any scans of brochures, or manuals would be nice to have.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:57 AM   #9

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The side logos were black paint on 14" X 5" white plastic plates. The lettering was raised. These were attached with small screws at the corners. Mine have cracks around several of the screws. I think many have fallen off and been lost. The door logo must have been only paint and mine was not there. I think the side stripes were tape.

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm41/to...mview=slideshow

Tom Trostel
Old 09-09-2008, 10:58 AM   #10

Tom,
Thanks for the pictures! I enjoyed the slide show. I don't think my 1971 had the plastic plate logo. I don't see any evidence of screw holes on the sides of mine.

etal: When, or which Compact used the quilted interiors. I don't see any hanger bolts or evidence of having it in my trailer.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #11

Registry
Cliff
Congrats on becoming a Jr owner. My wife and I made our canvas top over the winter. It took about 4 nights to complete but turned out good. If you do make your own or have someone make it for you remember to use water proof materal or it will shrink, don't ask how I know. The side logo's of my trailer were decals and the back door logo is also a decal.
Good luck and enjoy being an "Egg Owner"
Rick Brown
Rick Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:24 PM   #12

Quote:
...snip...The side logo's of my trailer were decals and the back door logo is also a decal.
Good luck and enjoy being an "Egg Owner"
Rick Brown
Rick,
Thanks for the tip, I don't have the old material to use as a pattern, but hope to work this detail out in the near future. Can you tell me if the back door logo is the same size as your side wall logo? If it is the same size, or if I have measurments, I can take a picture and duplicate the logo from my back door. Do you have a logo on each side of the trailer? I only have one side with logo, and probably due to the refrig. vent.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:00 AM   #13

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Hey Cliff,
Great pics that you've posted so far, and welcome to the Hunter Structures family! hehe I don't know that I can be of much help since my rig is a Compact II, so many things you're working on are different. I'm very interested in our rigs histories as well though, so I'll be watching eagerly to see any info you discover and post for sharing. Good luck with your project, and keep up the picture and info posts for us curious watcher types...hehe
Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:20 PM   #14

Registry
Cliff
The logos appear to be the same size. I did have logo on each side but had to remove them to clean
up the trailer. My logo was cracked and some of it was faded. I have some pictures posted on the forum of my trailer before and after.
Good Luck
Rick
Rick Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:54 AM   #15

Has anyone done a frame up restoration on a Compact? Are there any main issues to consider?

After further evaluation, I am contemplating lifting the body off to repaint the frame. I would also like to repaint the interior fiberglass walls, and considering a glossy coat of paint. If I raise the body off the frame, it looks like the entire inside needs to dismantled?

If I unscrew the face frames of the galley cabinets attached to the floor surface, is it possible to lift it up as a unit. The dinette will be easy to rebuild, and want to strengthen the framing for the seats. I could get away with bucket of paint, and few medium repairs.

Cliff

Old 09-11-2008, 04:04 AM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Has anyone done a frame up restoration on a Compact? Are there any main issues to consider?
Cliff
I guess you haven't spotted Larry's very good and very detailed topic, so here it is for you to click: I Did It Again...A Compact Jr.

Here's the link to the picture of the Compact Jr. logo in the albums: Compact Jr. Logo
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:39 AM   #17

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
I would also like to repaint the interior fiberglass walls, and considering a glossy coat of paint.
You are going to want some kind of insulation on the interior.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:

After further evaluation, I am contemplating lifting the body off to repaint the frame. I would also like to repaint the interior fiberglass walls, and considering a glossy coat of paint. If I raise the body off the frame, it looks like the entire inside needs to dismantled?

If I unscrew the face frames of the galley cabinets attached to the floor surface, is it possible to lift it up as a unit. The dinette will be easy to rebuild, and want to strengthen the framing for the seats. I could get away with bucket of paint, and few medium repairs.

Cliff
Cliff--- I see that Donna referred you to my "little" project and its pictures. Be FOREWARNED that a little upgrade can snowball into a big one.
As for lifting the body off, 16 bolts hold it on. Then the body can be slid off intact, just takes a little care not to tweak it. The cabinents are screwed, nailed, stapled, & ? together.... some screws thru the roof, some thru the floor. The front cannot be taken off without some damage to the structure-- that's why the fridge/closet structure was completely rebuilt. We didn't remove the sink/stove structure out of fear, mostly, just the front and then repaired the damage we did to it, and cut off the dryrotted bottom part and scabbed good wood in. Also, the fiberglass hood area over the sink/stove galley area was ok, and looked to be a can of worms to remove.
Another good place to look at a rebuild is Darrel Smith's rebuild of his compact JR, 1973 Compact II by Hunter, "Frameless Restoration" repost he did the interior over completely (in all aluminum) now, that had to be challenging.
Good Luck and don't be hesitant to PM me with particular questions--- I'll help anyone brave/foolish enuff that takes on a "simple" little project. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Cliff--- I see that Donna referred you to my "little" project and its pictures. Be FOREWARNED that a little upgrade can snowball into a big one. ..snip...

...snip...Good Luck and don't be hesitant to PM me with particular questions--- I'll help anyone brave/foolish enuff that takes on a "simple" little project. Larry
Larry, thanks for the encouraging words! I will refer to your pictures, often. I posted in your build thread also, I will certainly have some questions later.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:23 AM   #20

Thumbs up

Quote:
P.S. I also need a roof vent cap over the refrigerator. Any suggestions?
P.S.S. Any scans of brochures, or manuals would be nice to have.
Anyone know where I can get a replacement for the front window rock guard?
My 1971 does not have the original mounting holes for the brackets, so I don't think it was installed from the beginning, but would like to add it.

Can anyone provide a good close up photo of how the vent cap above the refrigerator attaches to the brackets? Perhaps I can fabricate the brackets, or find new ones.