composting and recycling - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-10-2012, 01:31 AM   #15

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
My brother is working on a home made composting toilet for his fifth wheel. He is using a large aluminum stock pot, with a crank agitator, and very fancy seat. I won't go into the details of the design.

Obviously he has not yet used it, but the rant he gave me has me thinking. Urine separation is apparently the key. Just throw in some peat moss and give it a crank when you are done. It uses no water, and does not need to emptied as often. The black water tank only holds Urine. I remember someone posted about using an egg at burning man, They disposed of urine in evaporation trays.

Putting all your compostables in the toilet would probably require more frequent emptying.
This is interesting David. I practice some urine diversion when I am at home. I use it as fertilizer mixed with water at 10-20:1. I think it is the key to a well running composting toilet especially one that is a compact size. Less smell and more time between emptying. Adding food waste to such a toilet is begging for an overloading problem. A composting toilet needs air and too much liquid in the compost will lead to a soggy smelly mess. So diverting the urine just makes sense.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #16

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Boy! They are not giving those toilets away! It does sound like a really good solution to the "where to go" problem. Wish they weren't so darn expensive!

Old 01-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #17

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denece View Post
Boy! They are not giving those toilets away! It does sound like a really good solution to the "where to go" problem. Wish they weren't so darn expensive!
A big aluminum stock pot, a crank installed in the side, a seat that has a trap door and a drain under it, (for separation). So far, my brother is $500 into it, but he is planning on a fancy seat with ventilation, heat, and an integral squirt bidet. It is the seat that is going to cost him.

Some use a 5 gallon bucket, and a stick to stir it. You can actually get a ventilated 5 gallon bucket holder with a lid and a seat. My in-laws have a porcelain on steel one at the old farm homestead that they vacation at. The vent helps with the smell. The process also requires air. It is the peat moss that really makes it work.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #18

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
How stinky are these composting toilets. The website say oderless. I am skeptical...
Old 02-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #19

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
I don't have a composting toilet (YET) but I do know that smell depends on a number of factors. You have to use one mindful of the operating procedures. Some have power vents and these are easiest to handle smell wise. Without power other factors weigh more heavily. The loading or amount of use related to the number of people using it is critical. Too heavy a use and it will smell. You have to avoid having too much liquid waste. The toilet should be loaded with a bit of high carbon material such as sawdust or peat to help absorb liquids and reduce odours while the composting gets under way.
Air, water (urine) and high carbon buffer ensure composting action. Composting toilets are not for everyone.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #20

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinScamps View Post
How stinky are these composting toilets. The website say oderless. I am skeptical...
I wouldn't even consider one without a small fan running continuously. Instead of venting up through the ceiling/roof as is done in most building installations, I vented mine down through the floor. The vent into the toilet needs to be tightly screened.

This not only keeps flies from laying eggs in the composting medium, but the slight airflow evacuates any smell as well as dries the content, preventing moisture/condensate build-up within the toilet.

Another benefit is that the evacuating air has to come from somewhere. One mine, the fit of the door isn't all that good, so I suspect much of it from this source. Mine also has the old style jalousie windows with aluminum frames. Since installing the composting toilet, it is very unusual for any sweat to develop on the frames; or anywhere else, for that matter.

The result is not only a toilet that is odorless, but a entire trailer that is essentially odorless, even after a lot of cooking.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #21

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
This is a very interesting thread. When we travel we keep our recyclables and compost seperate from the unavoidable throw-away garbage. There are public campgrounds that have recycle bins for cans, glass & plastic (though I wish there were more), though we have gone home with a bag full of such, and the compost we keep in a plastic bag in a bucket with lid, it is all vegtable compost because we don't eat meat and avoid cooking fish when camping. We have been gone as long as 10 - 14 days and brought it all home. I like some of the suggestions, but bringing it home has not been a problem, though for longer trips I can see finding places to dump compost would be useful.

We have a Sun-mar compost toilet for home use (yup, rural living). It is the kind with the composter under the house and it does not smell in the bathroom, but it definitely smells outside if there are problems, i.e the vent doesn't work properly or it's turning or emptying day. The ordor dissipates, but I would not want to live with it in a trailer. Even if you can provide adequate venting, other campers might notice an odor! The regular old style porta-potty that can be dumped every day seems a better solution. And a composting toilet is not a solution for composting, for reasons already mentioned, unless you add extra heat to increase break down time.

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote