Computer/TV - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2003, 04:20 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Computer/TV

Has anyone tried setting up a laptop with the TV receiver adaptor? I'm looking at a new tv...but may look into a laptop instead. The laptop could be the entertainment solution, tv/cd/dvd/mp3...plus the computer. Hints/Suggestions?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 09:45 PM   #2

Were you planning on using a USB tuner - or a video tuner built into the laptop?

The USB-1 tuners were kind of funky. I haven't tried a USB-2 tuner. Let us know what the quality is if you try one.

If you have a built in tuner you are golden.

An extra advantage of having a computer onboard - USB video cams. It was fun to see what was going on outside my egg on my laptop display. I use a Kodak DVC325 that I paid $30 for on eBay. It’s a lot of fun. My own Critter Cam.

Old 06-15-2003, 08:36 AM   #3

laptop

Mark..thanks for the reply! I'm not sure what type of pc/tuners are available out there. I just was thinking that using a laptop as the main source of entertainment (ie, music, email, video, tv) it may save space, weight and serve as a high quality video source. I guess I better start saving some nickels and dimes,eh? thanks again..jim
PS....Great looking Casita!

Old 06-15-2003, 07:13 PM   #4

Computer / TV

Hi, Jim
A friend of mine has a USB tv tuner on his desktop and has problem with. Personnally, I have a ATI All-In-Wonder Card on my P4 Desktop, and had never problem with it. It's not the same approach with a Laptop, but if I had to make a choice about it, I'd prefer a buit-in TV board.
If you also think about taking pictures or editing video on your laptop I recommand you to add a Firewire card too. There are some in PCMCIA format for Laptop. At my knowledge, it's the best way to transfer digital images between camera or camescope and computer. That presumes your camera or camescope has Firewire output.

Old 06-17-2003, 12:24 PM   #5

Hi Jim
We have a Toshiba laptop-satellite series with DVD,MP3,etc.I use a WinTV U.S.B. unit with our laptop made by Hauppauge and it works quite well. Not only do you get all the benifits of an all in one unit we also download our digital camara threw a SanDisk U.S.B downloader to make shure we didn't miss any important shots,and also to empty the video card so we can keep shooting. Combine this with P.C. surrond sound speakers with a subwoofer and you,ve got portable home theater on the go with 15" L.C.D. screen. You can also download your digital video camara and hook up a V.C.R. threw the WinTv unit. Nothing like haveing your cake and eating it too!!! We love this setup and the sound-Logitech speakers in a small TT is second to none!!! Hope this information helps.:wave
P.S. We were told by Buba at London Drugs that there is no room in a laptop for a different video card with T.V. tuner.