Concerned about wood and carpet in Scamp wet bath. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Question Concerned about wood and carpet in Scamp wet bath.

My 16 ft Scamp has a wet bath, with wood framing over the door and down the side to the floor. It also has carpet on the top part of the walls and ceiling.
How do you all take a shower and not ruin the wood or get the carpet wet and loostened from the walls?
Is that wet bath just for looks, or can it safely be used for showering?
I would appreciate knowing what you all do to keep that area from getting damaged when showering.
Thanks
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I have had my 16' SD Scamp for almost a year and have taken only 2 showers in it.
I'm a little over 6 ft so when I shower I have to sit on the toilet as I imagine most do.
When you sit there is no water getting on the carpet or wood.
When traveling after a shower I open the bath window and one of the rear side windows for flow through ventilation to dry any residual moisture.
They now make low flow shower heads. 1.5 gallons per minute. Get one and then take a fast shower or you will run out of water.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:46 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Karalyn, I've never used the shower in my side-bath, but the people I bought the trailer from used it every day for three months a year. When I bought the trailer there wasn't one water spot anywhere. The wood and rat fur are in perfect condition. With adequate shower curtain(s) and using the swedish shower wand as a "sitter" shower, you too can keep the inside of the bathroom damage free. I think the secret would be to wipe up any moisture immediately after showering...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
We have Command Hooks and hang a shower curtain across the wall with the door.When not in use, we have the hooks spaced so it can be folded in half vertically and it hangs on the wall next to the toilet stool. We NEVER have had any water on the door wood trim or out the bottom of the door onto the carpet as it's shielded by the shower curtain. Very easy to deal with and keeps the water IN the water closet!!!

PS--obviously we had to trim the length to fit the height of the Scamp shower. By the way, rat fir DOES NOT absorb water so don't worry about it getting wet. With a little care, even taking a shower will not get it wet or if so, just minimally, either way it's no problem.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have a side bath and I have used it a number of times. As Ron suggests you do need to put up a shower curtain on the doorside. Standing for a shower is not a real easy thing to do in that small space so I too sit and use the handshower - better that way as it has an on and off switch on the handle that you can use to save the hot water while you soap up. I have never gotten the rat fur or the wood wet but I do wipe down the bathroom once finished.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:45 AM   #6

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Just for the record,the "Rat Fur" is a marine product intended as a headliner for wet places.
They claim it will not rot,mildew or absorb water at all?
I was also told that the wood there is "Resinated" at the factory for water resistance.
Not sure I believe this but evidently they wear well so some design seems to be working.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karalyn View Post
My 16 ft Scamp has a wet bath, with wood framing over the door and down the side to the floor. It also has carpet on the top part of the walls and ceiling.
How do you all take a shower and not ruin the wood or get the carpet wet and loostened from the walls?
Is that wet bath just for looks, or can it safely be used for showering?
I would appreciate knowing what you all do to keep that area from getting damaged when showering.
Thanks
We have a front bath in our 13 Scamp dlxe, it has been used to shower well over 400 times, and still looks and performs like new.
We installed a cafe curtain rod across the door wall and use 1/2 of a plastic shower curtain hung with stainless steel key rings to save space... works perfect!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
hanks everyone, I was really worried about getting that rat fur wet, and also the wood. I think I will try to hook up a shower curtain, but when looking at the fiberglass on the door you would think the wood would also be water protected. I sure do not want to ruin that beautiful wood and rat fur. My Casita had a shower curtain and no rat fur. I was thinking Scamp would do the same but NOT.
There are major differences between the two makes of eggs, each having their good and bad points. Still, I love my egg, whether it bs one make or the other.
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karalyn View Post
hanks everyone, I was really worried about getting that rat fur wet, and also the wood. I think I will try to hook up a shower curtain, but when looking at the fiberglass on the door you would think the wood would also be water protected..
Karalyn my scamp came to me with a wooden shower curtain rod in the bathroom over the door. Its held in place with plastic closet rod holders that you can purchase anywhere. Only one rivet with cap on the outside walls holds the holder place. I would suggest that would be the easy way to go. I just had to shorten a purchased shower curtain to keep it from touch the floor.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Dakota
Registry
I have used the shower numerous times and have not had any issues. We have two shower curtains, one that is over the door and one that is in front of the toilet. I squeegee and wipe it down after use. Hang the shower curtains outside on the clothes line with my towels. Open the window during and after use and that seems to work.
2005 Chevrolet Extended Cab Silverado
Tezha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp