Condensation - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2005, 07:50 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I read somewhere that the average adult puts out about 1 pint of water in the breathing process throughout 1 night of sleep. Sounded like a lot of water to me.
Rick
Having spent numerous nights in a nylon tent I would believe that. Most backpacking tents are double wall. The inner wall will allow moisture to pass through. The outer wall is coated to be water proof. The object here that condensation will pass through the inner wall and collect on the outer wall. Then will run down the outer wall, thus keeping the ocupants dry. Nothing worse than having it raining outside and raining inside from condensation, except having it snowing inside.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:47 PM   #22

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I am Drowning in it right now. There was a ton of rain here in a torrential down pour, I DID make pasta and I have two moist dogs in here with me.

I am going to use the rv park shower as I don't want to add another drop!

My bedding has been in the dryer once already. I may do it again!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:35 PM   #23

Trailer: 1986 23 ft Road Ranger
First, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to start a new thread or bring this thread back up to the top. But I decided on bringing this one back up as it has a lot of useful info.

Anyway, I went out to our trailer tonight (to peek again at our wonderful cleaning job we did yesterday) and noticed that one of the cushions was wet in a spot. I felt the walls and am pretty sure it was condensation dripping off the ceiling onto that spot. We have a Dri-Z-Air (I think that's what it is called) in there and it obviously can't keep up with the rain we have been having.

I ordered the Eva-dry 500 from Amazon.com and I will let you all know how it works!
Rick and Shannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:48 AM   #24

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
I bought a dehumidifiier from Sears and put it in ths Scamp it really made a difference.They are about a $140. I have since moved it to the basement and around the house. I really would like to see a small dehumidifier my wife found one on the web and can not find it again.
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:52 AM   #25

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Send a message via MSN to KenReiss
Any 12 volts options out there?
KenReiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:34 PM   #26

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
A while back someone suggested using Rain-X on the inside of the windows. We tried this and it does reduce condensation. I could tell it helped by looking at the condensation on the one window that I didn't coat with Rain-X.
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:14 PM   #27

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Interesting about the Rain X.

I don't know how it would work. Does it eliminate the surface tension of the droplets? I was under the impression it was a silicon based product that actually made the water bead up and blow away on windshields, but thinking about it now I wonder?

Hopefully someone on this forum has their head screwed on straighter than I in this area and wouldn't mind educating this dummy on what Rain X actually is and does.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:32 PM   #28

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
hummm, maybe Rain-X keeps the water from beading and sticking. Instead it runs to the drip area??
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:54 PM   #29

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
[quote]Wipe the windows off while you are winter camping and enjoy the views.

Attachment 639

Charles......GREAT picture
william russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:59 PM   #30

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Eva-Dry 500

I assume 2 would be better than one?!
Maybe one at each end of the camper, hung on the curtan rod?

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:42 PM   #31

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
For those still interested in dehumidifiers.

Last november I placed 2 Dri-Z-Air decorator units with one bag (13 oz) of crystals each in my 13' Scamp Deluxe parked near a marine shoreline in the San Juan Islands of Washington. The trailer was covered with a CalMark Sunbrella Fabric custom cover. The windows were all closed and there wasno heating (or circulating fans) in the trailer

Today I went in the trailer for the first time and emptied the two units. Together they had collected more than 35 oz. of water and the crystals had disolved.

As near as I can there was no problem with humidity or condesation. I'll use them again next winter.
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:10 PM   #32

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
This is what the Dri-Z-Air Decorator Units look like.
Attached Thumbnails
100_2016.JPG  
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:03 AM   #33

Trailer: 1986 23 ft Road Ranger
I apologize for not reporting back about the Eva Dry 500. Although the weather has been dryer the last couple of weeks, it was rainy when we put the Eva Dry in the Trill. I think it works wonderfully (better than the DriZair thing we had originally purchased). Of course, the true test will be next winter.

Shannen
Rick and Shannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:20 AM   #34

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I too use the Dr-Z-Air crystals and containers. I place one in the sink (on a plastic bag) and one near the door. I empty the containers of liquid about once a month. I didn't want the water that had been captured to be "recycled" back through the crystals.

I also put the crystals/containers back in the trailer after each camping trip to draw the moisture from cooking, etc. out of the air, fabrics, etc. Especially wanting to remove the moisture from the cushions.

Works well for a completely passive system.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:04 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape
The dri-z-air is a chemical called calcium chloride. When it is in the baskett above the drip pan it will absorb moisture untill it is saturated completely with water then it starts to drip into the pan as a mix of water and calcium chloride untill it is completely disolved. other used of this chemical is dust control on roads when spread on roads it absorbs moisture which keeps the dust under control by not letting the moisture evaporate away from the road surface. Another use is in melting Ice on sidewalks it works similar to salt. And of course It is also used in a mix with water to add weight to Farm tractor tires for added traction. The calcium does two things it makes the liguid soultion quite a bit heaver than straight water and acts as anti freeze so in the winter the tire is not just a big round ice cube. The warnings on the dri-z-air bag say its crossive to metal which it is and do not spill it on leather. I have seen this spilled on leather shoes while by people were filling tractor tires and when the shoes finally dry out it sucks so much moisture out of the shoe leather that the toes curl up to the point you can't even get your foot in the shoe. These are things you really don't need to know. oh well Jerry
jerry l elven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:15 PM   #36

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp
I always wondered what happened to the Wicked Witch of the West's shoes.
shirley munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:12 PM   #37

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / 1997 Toyota 4Runner LTD (Draw-Tite WDH
It seems to me that there are two separate issues regarding condensation: one is eliminating or reducing the moisture that results from storing the trailer in a damp place like British Columbia rather than a dry place like southern Arizona; and the other is dealing with the condensation that is the consequence of normal use during winter or the rainy season.

Dri-Z-Air and other dehumidifiers will address the first issue, but won't deal with the kind of condensation that occurs in winter or rain.

A few years ago, we travelled full-time in our trailer from December through September. We spent the first 4 months skiing and had to find a way to deal with the condensation that resulted from our full-time occupation of the trailer, particularly in winter.

Here's what we learned during the first week:

Cooking with propane generated an enormous amount of moisture. (Note that propane furnaces are vented outside and do not add moisture to the interior.)

Boiling water, for tea, pasta, or vegetables added moisture to the air.

Our breathing during the night added huge amounts of moisture to the air.

The moisture given off by our bodies during the night left the mattress damp.

The temperature difference between our warm trailer and the -20 degrees celsius outside made the windows run with water, particularly on the windows when the blinds were down and the curtains drawn.

What we did:

1. We kept both roof vents as well as the bathroom vent open all the time (our trailer came with MaxiVent covers) to ensure air flow. This had little impact on warmth but major impact on condensation.

2. We stopped cooking with propane completely during the winter and switched to a two-burner hot plate plus microwave.

3. We improved airflow by:
- keeping all cupboard doors open an inch or two.
- cutting rectangular holes and fitting grilles (the kind you see over heating vents) along the areas below the seats and mattress, to improve airflow in the storage areas. We also put a grille between the bathroom and the bed area.

4. We installed two layers of storm-window film from Home Depot (attached with double-sided tape and shrunk to fit with a hair-dryer). This gave us triple-glazed windows.

5. We kept the mattress elevated, using two cooking pots, while we were gone during the day. It was bone dry when we got back.

6. We kept two ceramic heaters going during the day while we were gone, to help dry out the air.

The only condensation we experienced after taking these measures was moisture build-up on the trailer door, over which we hung insulating, foil-backed bubblepack during the night.

Cheers,
Elisabeth
E. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:15 PM   #38

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / 1997 Toyota 4Runner LTD (Draw-Tite WDH
Forgot to mention that we also kept the blinds up and the curtains open all the time, to help airflow.

Elisabeth
E. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote