Confused about Scamp/Casita weight - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 1986 Scamp 13 ft
Confused about Scamp/Casita weight

I know my '86 Scamp 13 weighs just under 1000 lbs. If the websites are accurate the new 13 Scamp is 1220 and Casita is 1880. for a 16 add 400 to 500 lbs. Yet when I look at for sale ads, trying to move towards one with a bath I see weights listed all over the place.

That said it appears like weights have gradually increased over the years.

I would love to hear from those with first hand knowledge about this. Also what do you trade away with the older, lighter ones?

Greg
Las Cruces, NM

Old 09-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #2

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G. View Post
I know my '86 Scamp 13 weighs just under 1000 lbs.
Greg,

Just curious, have you had your Scamp weighed at a scale? I ask because 9xx lbs. for a Scamp would be pretty light.

Most of our campers weigh anywhere from "some" to "a lot" more than the factory (and often seller) claimed weights. So this may be where you are seeing the variation.

For example, some Bolers list 9xx lbs. inside the camper on a spec sheet. If I were more cynical, I would say "dream on"

I have also read numerous ads where the sellers say "Only weighs 900 lbs and can be pulled with any car." Right. (That said, many probably believe that, so it's not like they are trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes on purpose.)

My best "average" guess for a reasonably lightly loaded Scamp 13 would be 1500#; but the best thing to do is weigh each individual trailer in your "all up" camping form.

Raya

PS: Frederick (The Scaleman) has posted a thread that shows real-world weights for dozens of trailers - these are units that he weighed at various rallies.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe No More .. Sob!
Registry
I came across a free vehicle scale that allowed me to determine that my 2005 13’ Deluxe Scamp weighed in at 1880 pounds including a tongue weight estimate of 164 pounds. Included is 12 gallons of water and about 200 pounds of food, clothing, and tools. That makes a dry weight of 1580 pounds.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #4

thanks guys...it appears i need to hit the scales

Greg
Old 09-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #5

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Here's the Trailer weights from the 2010 Oregon Gathering, done by Frederick and team: Trailer Weighing at The Oregon Gathering

Here's the post for the 2009 Oregon Gathering trailer weights: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post182728
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #6

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Yup! My 13 foot Boler is listed as weighing 940 lbs. Now remember that that is before they added all the apliances and then we added the food , clothing, tv, radio, lanterns, blankets and pillows and jacks and hoses and cords and whatever else makes us comfortable. Don't forget the awning and poles, a couple of lawn chairs, a solar pannel, a food cooler and a drink cooler, the outside table and....
Ron's weights are a lot more realistic for a 13 footer of whatever make.
Is it possible that back in the 70's and 80's they listed these trailers as under 1000 pounds to be able to sell them without brakes etc.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #7

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
My "new" '84 Scamp 13 is close to being a stripped down model. It does have a 3-way fridge, but no other heavy options. There is a CAT scale next to my bank. Once I get it back on the road (new trailer wiring, tail lights, and roof vent), I will take it over there and see how much it weighs. This will be without any food, water, clothes, ot any other cargo. I'll post the results.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Getting your trailer on a scale is the only way…… #s from manufactures are very optimistis.

From the Scamp website……. Scamp 13' Approx. weight: 1200 lbs.
Scamp 16' Approx. weight: 1750 lbs.

My Scamp 16' is a tad over 2500 lbs.

approximate
adjective |əˈpräksəmit|
close to the actual, but not completely accurate or exact : the calculations are very approximate.
verb |-ˌmāt| [ intrans. ]
come close or be similar to something in quality, nature, or quantity : a leasing agreement approximating to ownership | [ trans. ] reality can be approximated by computational techniques.
• [ trans. ] estimate or calculate (a quantity) fairly accurately : I had to approximate the weight of my horse.

Scamp needs a Dictionary.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #9

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Hi Mark, can you tell us what year/floorplan/options you have on your 16 footer for comparison? We are contemplating a 16' Scamp as well but wish Scamp would post some "out the door" weights. Is your 2500 lbs with water/propane/battery? Is that your "ready to camp" weight with food, clothes, bedding etc? Awning, A/C, Deluxe or standard? Do you know your tongue weight? I've looked at the "real world weight" thread but would like to know exactly what was in those trailers.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #10

OK, so let me ammend my original post as I get ready to pull my Scamp 13 to the scale. So my new question is does anyone have any real world experience about why there would be +/- 400 lbs difference between the scamp deluxe(w/shower) and the Casita deluxe?

Thanks to all fo all of the info.

Greg
Old 09-17-2010, 04:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Mine is a 16' Scamp Deluxe SD (Oak Interior).

All standard options plus……

Standard options here>>> http://www.scamptrailers.com/Showroo.../Features.aspx

Cable TV hook up
Front Cabinets
Roof Air Conditioner
Furnace
Power Range Hood
TV Antenna
10' Awning
Dual Propane Tanks
Extra Interior Lights
Exterior Ground Fault outlet
Grey Water Tank (listed as optional on the Scamp Website?)

The 2500+ is unloaded but propane tanks filled.

As optioned, mine would be expected to be on the heavy side. It would be nice if the manufactures would give a weight range instead of a simple Approximation.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Hi Mark, can you tell us what year/floorplan/options you have on your 16 footer for comparison? We are contemplating a 16' Scamp as well but wish Scamp would post some "out the door" weights. Is your 2500 lbs with water/propane/battery? Is that your "ready to camp" weight with food, clothes, bedding etc? Awning, A/C, Deluxe or standard? Do you know your tongue weight? I've looked at the "real world weight" thread but would like to know exactly what was in those trailers.

Thanks!
Hi Melissa,
Here are our weights from the 2009 OR Gathering:
95 SCAMP 16
Trailer axle 1: Left Wheel=1060 , Right Wheel=1040
TRAILER’S TOTAL AXLE WEIGHT=2100
TRAILER HITCH WEIGHT=320
TOTAL TRAILER WEIGHT=2420
Our Scamp was a standard (FG interior) side bath model with toilet, but no shower - so no hot water heater or gray water tank. We also didn't have an awning or AC.
The weights were taken loaded for a weeks trip with lots of food and extra clothes plus I had a pretty good set of tools in one of the front lockers (320# hitch weight).
We only used the fresh water for flushing so probably only a couple gallons there & the single propane tank was 1/2 full.
With all the storage, its really easy to add weight with extra items if you don't watch it.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #13

Name: Ron
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Iowa
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
I'm not sure but is the Casita double wall construction. If so, this would explain some of the 400 lbs.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #14

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
I'm not sure but is the Casita double wall construction. If so, this would explain some of the 400 lbs.
Casita is not double-wall constructed.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp, weighing, weight