Confusion about left and right - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2015, 10:40 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Confusion about left and right

In a recent post, there was some confusion about left and right. Left and right depend on where you are.

I suggest we use a convention that does not depend on where you are facing.

Some forums use driver side vs passenger side instead of left and right. Front is where the hitch is located and Rear is where the tail lights are located.

Nautical types might like port (driver side), starboard (stbd, passenger side), Forward (Fwd) and Aft.
Martin B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:53 AM   #2

Name: stefan
Trailer: 76 Trillium 1300
Waterloo, Ontario
I would like to think that most people would consider the tongue end of their trailer to be front, the tail light end to be rear and the 'curb side' where almost all doors are to be right and the other side to be left. Just like the tail lights are right and left. Never even considered it any other way.
stefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:39 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Not really sure that I even see an issue here. We all presumably know what left and right is, and most manufacturers put the left turn signal on the left side of the trailer. Maybe I am missing something?

Still, curbside/passenger side, and streetside/driver sided, seem to be the most common convention.

Unless one plans to float or fly their trailer, port and starboard don't really apply.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:49 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Right and left side

Years ago I was tasked with unloading a Semi trailer load of peat for a golf course, I had to get the left and right straightened out with the driver to correctly position the load. The driver said to me, "Right and left are always as if you are standing behind the load, except if it's a manure spreader, nobody should ever stand behind one of those". That comment has stuck with me for nearly 50 years, it's saved a lot of arguments and brought a few smiles. And in the world of warranties, guarantees, and responsibilities of the manufacturer after the sale, manure spreaders were never warranted because nobody would stand behind them. Rimshot
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:52 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefman
............ the 'curb side' where almost all doors are to be right and the other side to be left.........
Almost all the doors.

Name:   image-1234624118.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  36.4 KB
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:09 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
Port and starboard. Relative to the front and always correct no matter which way you are facing.
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:25 PM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Years ago I was tasked with unloading a Semi trailer load of peat for a golf course, I had to get the left and right straightened out with the driver to correctly position the load. The driver said to me, "Right and left are always as if you are standing behind the load, except if it's a manure spreader, nobody should ever stand behind one of those". That comment has stuck with me for nearly 50 years, it's saved a lot of arguments and brought a few smiles. And in the world of warranties, guarantees, and responsibilities of the manufacturer after the sale, manure spreaders were never warranted because nobody would stand behind them. Rimshot
Dave
Funny! It says on the left side that this is your first post, so you are off to a good start - welcome!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
My wife labeled the dogs eye medicine as she was looking at the dog. Right eye of the dog was as she looked at her and of course, was her left eye.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:45 PM   #9

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Dave
Ha! That's funny...and so easy to remember!

When I bought my old 13' Scamp it looked like the insides had been used to haul manure!

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:46 PM   #10

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
I've always used curbside and streetside. Seems pretty simple. Stand in your trailer facing the front of it. Streetside is on your left and curbside is on your right.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:56 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
The standard in the transportation and automotive industry it is always in relation to facing forward or sitting in the operators seat (as mentioned above).
Therefore left is streetside and right is curbside.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:50 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
We had crew chief who was told to change the right main tire, he changed the left main tire and the aircraft did not meet the schedule. The next morning someone had painted left and right on his main landing gear doors. Any aircraft he crewed after that incident the landing gear doors were labeled right and left. (Not by him).
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:08 PM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
River left or river right while paddling is always determined when facing downstream.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:06 PM   #14

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
very much...

very much like "skiers right, skiers left" used by snowcat operators working...cause they work uphill and downhill
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:22 PM   #15

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Has anyone considered that we are mostly speaking to folks on the forum who drive on the right side of the street? Everything is mirror-image if you are in countries where they drive on the left side of the street. Recently we, Americans, were driving in New Zealand and it took some adjustment, especially the stick shift!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:26 PM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
very much like "skiers right, skiers left" used by snowcat operators working...cause they work uphill and downhill
also used by most others on the mountain when direction someone to a particular location.

Honestly wasn't aware there was ever any confusion in regards to which is the right or left side of the trailer either - not any different than a car - the front is clearly the front as is the rear so getting confused as to which is right or left side of the trailer would be a real odd.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:08 AM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Honestly wasn't aware there was ever any confusion in regards to which is the right or left side of the trailer either - not any different than a car - the front is clearly the front as is the rear so getting confused as to which is right or left side of the trailer would be a real odd.
I agree with you but Iowa Dave's response/explanation is great.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:20 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape
British Columbia
In the trucking industry we always use the terms "driver side" and "passenger side" to avoid any confusion. And "nose" and "tail" for front and back
Sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:56 AM   #19

Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Not by the eye of the beholder.

...and in heraldry it is from the perspective of the wearer of the coat of arms, not the opponent or observer. So, right is left, left is right. Coats of arms are more than pictures.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:28 AM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Has anyone considered that we are mostly speaking to folks on the forum who drive on the right side of the street? Everything is mirror-image if you are in countries where they drive on the left side of the street. Recently we, Americans, were driving in New Zealand and it took some adjustment, especially the stick shift!
Yup I have been to other parts of the world and driven right hand steering wheeled cars on the left hand side of the road and still have a number of family & friends who live in such countries. In fact two family members are currently visiting.

BUT Right is still Right and Left is still left... that does not change regardless of where you are in the world or what side of the road you drive on.

Agree though that referring to passenger side and driver side when discussion the car or trailer would indeed confuse those who are from left lane driving countries.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote