Considering a 73 Trillium (13 ft) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2008, 01:25 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 1973
I've been offered a 73 trillium for free. I know next to nothing about trailers, but love the looks of this little guy. Is it possible to tow it with either a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry (both are 4 cylinders)?

I know I'll have more questions soon, will decide this weekend.

Thanks for your suggestions, advice, warnings etc.

Dana P.

Dana P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
If I was in your place, I wouldn't worry about the tow capacity for now. Get the trailer first! A free Trill!
Old 02-15-2008, 03:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
I've been offered a 73 trillium for free. I know next to nothing about trailers, but love the looks of this little guy. Is it possible to tow it with either a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry (both are 4 cylinders)?

I know I'll have more questions soon, will decide this weekend.

Thanks for your suggestions, advice, warnings etc.

Dana P.
I have an 05 Toyota Tacoma P/U that is 4 cyl. I tow a Trillium Jubilee which is a 15' model and a 13' Scamp. My P/U handles both very well.
I would get if I were you, if you don't like it you can always sell it or give it away.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Tow with the Toyota Camry-------> NOT the Honda.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:30 AM   #5

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Free?? Grab it!
Then use the Buyer's Checklist over on the left hand side of this forum for evaluating what you've got. Some older eggs need a lot of work, but our 30+year old Trill was used very lightly in all those years, and mostly needed a very good scrubbing and some cosmetic odds and ends.
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:43 AM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Is it possible to tow it with either a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry (both are 4 cylinders)?
I used to tow my 13' Compact Jr with a Toyota Camry, but my Camry was a 6 cylinder. I never experienced a panic stop situation, or serious sway, so I consider myself lucky. My engine crank shaft bearing failed on a towing trip, and I wound up junking the car, so I would be concerned about what the strain of towing would do to the car over the long haul.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
Seen them towed with old VW bugs and Subaroooos. So I don't see why you couldn't tow with a Camry.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
If I were you, I'd check the official towing capacity in the manual for your specific vehicle (some older Camry's had a 2000 lbs towing capacity, most newer ones: 1000 lbs; this could be higher if the trailer has brakes; probably much lower for 4-cyl), determine how much your Trillium's real weight would be once fully loaded (typically between 1400 and 1900 lbs), add a safety margin, and base your decision on those numbers rather than opinions. But then again, this is also an... opinion.

Tags
trillium