Converter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
We have a 2001 Scamp with a 20 amp converter/charger. I know many converter/chargers are really just battery "maintainers" and will shorten the life of the battery, but I thought newer ones (is 2001 newer?) do it right and actually diagnose and properly charge. Does anyone know if this unit properly charges the battery like a multi-stage "smart" charger? Or should we use a stand-alone smart-charger instead? If so, is a 3-stage charger good, or should we spend the money for a 7-stage? Thanks!
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #2

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I have an 03 16 Scamp SD and the built in charger has never charged my battery completely.
I top it off with a regular charger before a trip.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
We have a 2001 Scamp with a 20 amp converter/charger. I know many converter/chargers are really just battery "maintainers" and will shorten the life of the battery, but I thought newer ones (is 2001 newer?) do it right and actually diagnose and properly charge. Does anyone know if this unit properly charges the battery like a multi-stage "smart" charger? Or should we use a stand-alone smart-charger instead? If so, is a 3-stage charger good, or should we spend the money for a 7-stage? Thanks!

Can you tell us the brand and model of the converter? Most smart chargers have to have an accessory to do the "Smart Charging"

Thank you!

David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:01 PM   #4

Thank you Perry. I'm guessing my converter is much like yours, and so isn't good for proper charging.

David: Wouldn't ya know it, I received owner's manuals for everything in our used trailer except the converter! Opening the cover, I find the following info: Youngyear/Centurion, model CS 2000, output 20 amps and "(includes charging load)". It also says it complies with FCC Class B, if that means anything.

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2010, 04:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Darnelle

It is not a Smart Charger.
I think Scamp used the cheapest thing they could find and that converter was it.
I even contacted the manufacturer but as I do not speak any Chinese dialect I could not really speak with them.

I just figured the Walmart battery/Warranty was reason enough to leave it as it is?
I did look into replacing it but never got to it.

I also carry a small Smart Charger in my truck for emergencies but I have not needed it on the Scamp.

The Class B rating just means that the FCC has tested the electric device and it will meet the standard for non-interference for RF in a home use.
In other words it does buzz a little and you can hear the fan but it will not mess with your TV or Ham Radio!

Hope all is well otherwise and feel free to contact me anytime.....and I need to see a pic of the baby in the Egg too! hopefully with the dog.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:24 AM   #6

Thank you Ed!

Yeah, I was pretty sure the converter is not a smart charger, but didn't want to add one if unneccessary.

What I'm planning is to disconnect the battery from the charging mode of the converter and add a smart charger in its place. Have everything wired so when I plug into shore power everything is working correctly without me having to remember to switch anything. It sounds like this does not need to be on top of the list? Though even with a battery warranty running to WalMart can be real inconvenient from my location.

Good to know it won't interfere with my ham radio! Am thinking camping would be the perfect time to get on the air. Hey, what would you say is the best way to add an antenna to the camper?

I've been slowly adding our gear to the camper. Will take a photo when things are clean!

BTW, I really like having the extra lock and love the little "basement"!

Thanks again!
Darnelle