Converter Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 1979 Vanguard
I have a converter question. If your battery isn't connected but you're plugged into 120 V, should your lights and other 12 V stuff work still?? Mine doesn't; do I have a problem??
Rick T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I frequently disconnect my battery when I'm plugged in to shore power. That keeps me from boiling all of the water out of it.
All of my 12 volt circuits run off of the converter's 12volt output from the 110volt AC input.

I think you may have a problem there.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Generally, it should work without a battery, but reportedly some converters require a battery to be in the circuit to work. First thing I would do it check the converter for a blown fuse; second would be to connect a battery; third would be to call the converter manf with make, model and serial number and ask them (Also ask if there is an Owner's Manual).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:10 AM   #4

Quote:
I frequently disconnect my battery when I'm plugged in to shore power. That keeps me from boiling all of the water out of it.
All of my 12 volt circuits run off of the converter's 12volt output from the 110volt AC input.

I think you may have a problem there.

Thanks for the info, Its been bothering me for the last few days. I checked the converter to see if there was 12 v coming out of it but there was no reading, i kinda thought i needed a battery to complete the circuit. Thanks agan for your help.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Generally, it should work without a battery, but reportedly some converters require a battery to be in the circuit to work. First thing I would do it check the converter for a blown fuse; second would be to connect a battery; third would be to call the converter manf with make, model and serial number and ask them (Also ask if there is an Owner's Manual).

I checked the converter for a blown fuse, i only found one 7 amp and it was fine. I also connected a battery and everything worked!! Thanks for your help i appreciate it. The make and model powertron model MPC 300D, I couldn't find anything on the net but i'll try the manf. Thanks agan
Old 03-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
This is being discussed on another thread right now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RVElecBlockDiagram.gif
Views:	60
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	18520

Block diagram in "12 Volt Side of Life" shows battery wired between converter and fuse block, meaning no 12VDC w/o battery in place -- Opinions differ as to whether diagram is in error (doubt it or maintainer would have corrected by now) or battery is serving as a filter for the converter output.

The latter would explain why older rigs with cheap, transformer converters may be wired that way and newer rigs with theoretically better electronic converters are not.

Both my '83 Jayco 16' and my '91 Scamp 13' had the older converters, but I don't recall ever trying to run either with no battery.

On the Jayco, the 120VAC shore cable came in to a small, standard breaker box w/two 15A breakers -- One was for the rooftop a/c and the other powered typical duplex outlets -- The converter was plugged into an outlet, as was my fridge, and its 12VDC output was eventually connected to an external fuse block w/glass fuses. I don't recall exactly how the battery fit in. Removing the converter was easy because all I had to do was unplug it and leave the fuse block in place.

On the Scamp, again the 120VAC shore cable went to a breaker box w/two 15A breakers. One breaker was reserved for a/c, the other powered duplex outlets The converter was again plugged into an outlet for its 120VAC power, but the manf had included the 12VDC fuse block inside it, using blade fuses.

Currently, the converters now include the 120VAC breakers and the 12VAC fuse block and the 120VAC shore cable goes directly into it. This simplifies the wiring for the trailer manf but complicates the record keeping a small bit. I don't know where the battery is in one of these arrangements.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote