Cool Gadgets - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2008, 06:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Okay. I admit it. I love to look for neat things to enhance my camping experience and after working on report cards for a mind and bun-numbing 5 hours, I began looking in one of the catalogs that's routinely delivered but usually overlooked. I'm curious to know if any of you think these devices have any real potential for my Campster or any other eggs. So have at it!

Portable Tankless Water Heater: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=477229

7- LED Hat Clip Lights: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=351913

150-watt Power Inverter, AC, DC, and USB: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=469326

Solar Spotlight: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=272770

Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 1994 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel / 2001 4wd 6cyl Silverado
Hi ... The instant water heater,is an excellent alternative to the tank type that we have in most eggs, but I think it would be hard to mount it as a permanent appliance in the camper, because they do not want you to install it on a flammable plastic type wall, but if it could be done, my tank would be out, and on the ground by morning waiting for one of these heaters, especially at 120 bucks, Paul
Paul and Libby Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:33 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
Since it is an outdoor use only tank, maybe you can mount it on the tongue and plumb the water in? Just a thought.
Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:59 PM   #4

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1979
We use similar "Tankless" water heaters on new homes here in California. They are natural gas heaters but the same idea. the unit sense the water flow and fires up the burner right away. A large section/area of coper coiled pipeing is heated from the burner. The ones we use have a digital thermostat that regulates the burner to a certain temprature of water output. I would be interested to know just how hat the water is coming out. It also apears to to mix the hot and cold from the looks of the 2 knobs one hot one cold. I also assume that it is electronic ignition and self ignighting at every demand for hot water. When water flows the then it automaticaly ignights over and over as needed. No pilot light?
We had a coiple freeze by the way last winter. They are mounted outside the garage or mounted inside but must be vented outside. that does NOT look like and option here.
Interesting though. I like the idea for sure.
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #5

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1979
As for the LED cap light I always look for something that uses regular ole batteries. A couple of double "A"s and I can get rechargeable ones for it. I hate something I have to replace little expensive batteries in.
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:00 AM   #6

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Tankless water heaters-that's all I ever saw in Europe and they work great!

Good post, Lisa H. I wanted everything there!
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:27 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
"One 20-lb. propane tank is provides up to 12 hrs. of use"
looks pretty neat and at a good price. Thanks for sharing your find.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:32 AM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Solar Spotlight

If it's solar and runs off the sun then what good would it be at night when you need a flashlight?

What we really need is a Lunar flashlight.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
One of my homes in Germany had tankless water heater for bath/shower -- I'd estimate it was from the 1950's! Sinks each had small heater with well-insulated tank underneath.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
"One 20-lb. propane tank is provides up to 12 hrs. of use"
looks pretty neat and at a good price. Thanks for sharing your find.
It might do better than that even, depending upon the rate of consumption. Propane contains about 21,400 BTU/Lb so a 20 Lb tank holds 428,000 BTUs of potential energy. A good low pressure single burner propane consumes about 15,000 BTU/hour so would last about 28 1/2 hours-on full blast. That's what makes it so much cheaper than the 1 Lb. cylinders to run. Of course, once the burner is turned down, as to simmer, the consumption reduces and the tank lasts considerably longer

In the beginning I felt that the Origo burners

http://www.swego.com/stoves_alcohol.htm

used on boats consuming 100%, 200 proof denatured alcohol would be the cheaper route for my outside cooking endeveours but they only put out less than half those BTUs. So, I opted for propane instead. They do look better, though.
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #11

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Since it is an outdoor use only tank, maybe you can mount it on the tongue and plumb the water in? Just a thought.
This sounds like a good idea. That would also help to prevent leaks from the hose attachment... I don't usually use the water in my trailer but I'd probably use hot water.

Lisa, when are you going to post some pics and an update on your rig?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Re: Inverter. I have one of these in each vehicle and the trailer as I don't have 12v cell / gameboy chargers . I prefer the smaller ones like this as they don't put out the heat (and I assume suck the juice) of the larger ones. Make sure you pack some fuses for it - seems easy to blow them on the small ones.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:20 PM   #13

Thank you one and all for the interesting feedback on my wish list. You all picked up on things I had overlooked and provided useful insights.

I think I'm going to purchase the water heater and experiment with it. I wonder if I could open with windows of the Campster for ventilation, mount the water heater on one of those propane extension pipes, and use it to heat water for an indoor shower simular to the setup Gina uses inside her Burro? That way, it would all still be portable and would mostly be used in the outdoor kitchen. Any thoughts?
Old 11-17-2008, 11:23 PM   #14

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Thank you one and all for the interesting feedback on my wish list. You all picked up on things I had overlooked and provided useful insights.

I think I'm going to purchase the water heater and experiment with it. I wonder if I could open with windows of the Campster for ventilation, mount the water heater on one of those propane extension pipes, and use it to heat water for an indoor shower simular to the setup Gina uses inside her Burro? That way, it would all still be portable and would mostly be used in the outdoor kitchen. Any thoughts?
I liked the idea of mounting on the back bumper... it would be very close to pipe the spigot into the kitchen (and have a place to hook up the shower) but no worries about venting.

But I'm not sure what you mean by a propane extension pipe.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:44 PM   #15

I was referring to the pipe you can attach directly the propane tank for a lantern. They usually have a side valve to run your stove as well. You see them at Walmart and most other places that sell propane stoves. It occurred to me to mount it on the back bumper but it would be far from the propane or more or less permanently fixed. I also wonder about how much heat comes out the back and whether or not the fiberglass would be damaged by any contact the device would have.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:22 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
As for the LED cap light I always look for something that uses regular ole batteries. A couple of double "A"s and I can get rechargeable ones for it. I hate something I have to replace little expensive batteries in.
Agreed. I chose my digital camera because I could put AA's in it if the lithium batteries died. Especially important if you don't have access to a power outlet. I have a head lamp that takes a couple AAA's. Comes with a head band so I don't have to wear a cap or adjust the cap to see. And a lamp that clips on your brim adjusts you hat for you through it's weight and the leverage principle. I have both.

Even if they save energy, I'm still not comfortable with LED lights. I feel like I'm squinting, but if I have to, I guess I have to.

baglo
Old 11-18-2008, 12:23 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Solar Spotlight

If it's solar and runs off the sun then what good would it be at night when you need a flashlight?

What we really need is a Lunar flashlight.
The problem with a flashlight is you need one to find one.

bags