Cool Tiles For Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2009, 12:15 AM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Boler
I put these in my boler and they look great! Easy to apply and really do a lot to dress up the older models!

They are called "Smart Tiles" and I got mine at Home Depot.

They are kind of pricey, the only downfall, but they are really easy to install and they look sharp.

Dawn

Attached Thumbnails
6250_114678286314_525406314_2682033_2369250_n.jpg   backsplash.jpg  

Dawn S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Dawn,
I noticed your backsplash in your reno photos. It looks great! I looked up the info on these tiles from your description, and see they weigh only about 3 ozs. a sheet. (.17 pounds each). They look like real tiles in the photos. Very sharp.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:29 AM   #3

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Did you grout between the tiles?

If so, what did you use?

P.S. I checked their website -- now I'm thinking -- how might a Scamp look with the entire interior clad with tiles? Maybe some wood strips, either as bows (for a Conestoga Wagon look) or maybe lengthwise or perhaps on a grid.

Maybe a complete new section can be started, labeled something like: "Fiberglass Trailers as a Work of Art"
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Did you grout between the tiles?

If so, what did you use?

P.S. I checked their website -- now I'm thinking -- how might a Scamp look with the entire interior clad with tiles? Maybe some wood strips, either as bows (for a Conestoga Wagon look) or maybe lengthwise or perhaps on a grid.

Maybe a complete new section can be started, labeled something like: "Fiberglass Trailers as a Work of Art"
No grouting! They come in 10" square sheets. They were really easy to install. I was careful and took my time, but it was a pleasure to work with this material.

You just overlap the ends so you keep your "grout line" a consistent width throughout.

I think that these would look great on just about any surface. They wipe down easily. I suspect this company is going to do very well with this product and I would not be surprised if they started offering it in larger sheets to avoid connection lines in larger commercial and residential applications.

Dawn
Old 08-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
We do have Benita's topics, Interiors (Not a How To Thread)

and Paint Jobs, Real or Imagined (Not a How To Thread)

Anyone may add to these topics, of course, and we'd like to keep them going!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:09 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Dawn since you say these are easy to put up... what's behind the tile? I've got rat fur, I can't imagine sticking anything directly on that stuff. But, if I put laminate or maybe even vinyl flooring on the wall first ???? Hummmm, I really need something behind the stove/sink and this might be the ticket.... hummmm
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I was thinking a square of stainless steel with velcro on the back to catch any kitchen spatter. easy to attach/detach.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:52 AM   #8

Quote:
I was thinking a square of stainless steel with velcro on the back to catch any kitchen spatter. easy to attach/detach.

Sounds like a good plan!
Old 09-01-2009, 07:25 AM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
IKEA carries some backsplash stainless steel panels. If I remember correctly, they're about 16-18 inches high, and a little wider. Though lightweight, they're made of pretty decent stuff, and relatively inexpensive... These might work for you to catch kitchen splatter, with velcro attached to the back, they'd be removeable. I used them in a commercial kitchen a few years back.

Sherry

PS I looked on their website to add a link, but the stainless steel panels didn't come up. They do have a new line of fastbo laminate panels, (including some stainless steel color panels) online. Many of their items must be purchased in the store, and aren't listed online. I'll look thru the kitchen section next time I'm in the Tampa store for the item name and number, if they're still available. Like the fastbo panels, they were meant to be installed with a rail system to hang kitchen tools.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1984
Went to the local Home Depot today to check out the 'Smart Tiles'.
"Sorry we don't carry those. You may have to go to a larger store in ......., 40 miles away."
Now I'm asking myself why do I bother to shop at this one if they don't carry what you want? I might as well take th 40 mile drive and get a better selection, go out for supper and call it a date.
"Gee Hon, I took you out last night, Didn't I?"
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Went to the local Home Depot today to check out the 'Smart Tiles'.
"Sorry we don't carry those. You may have to go to a larger store in ......., 40 miles away."
Now I'm asking myself why do I bother to shop at this one if they don't carry what you want? I might as well take th 40 mile drive and get a better selection, go out for supper and call it a date.
"Gee Hon, I took you out last night, Didn't I?"

That happened to me here in Vancouver as well. I needed one more sheet to finish my job and I went to the HD closest to home. BUT there were no smart tiles at that location - same thing - needed to go to a bigger location, which, lucky for me was only 10 minutes away, but I was still frustrated. You could always order some online and then just return them if you don't like them. Seems like a hassle - it is so much nicer just to shop, in person. Maybe you could chose your favourite style of Smart Tiles and then ask them to bring in 10 sheets to the store close to your home, from the store 40 miles away. Some stores will do that for you , I don't know if home depot is one of them.

Good luck!

Dawn
Old 09-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #12

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Here is their link. The buy online looks like it redirects to home depot from the manufacturer.

Smart Tiles
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote