Cost of axle - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-14-2011, 12:04 AM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenM View Post
We had our Boler's axle checked yesterday at Pacific Axle in Langley and were quoted $700 for axle ($444 + tax) and labour ($200). Does this sound about right? They were bringing it in from Dexter Axle.
The guy didn't seem to be concerned about our axle, so it is hard to justify the cost at the moment.
Hi, Gen

You don't say why you had the axle checked to begin with- were there specific symptoms you were concerned about?
I'd appreciate any input from the group as to what the indicators of a worn out axle ARE.
(Short of the wheels falling off )
What would an inspection of the axle consist of? What should be looked for?

Thanks,

Francesca

Old 04-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #16

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
An axle can be damaged or bent and knocked out of line by striking an object or obstruction or dropping off in a ditch when turning a corner. A spindle can be damaged if a bearing breaks or seizes and heats up. If the axle is bent or the spindle is damaged then the axle should be replaced. With proper periodic service and freedom from accidental damage an axle should outlast the trailer.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
An axle can be damaged or bent and knocked out of line by striking an object or obstruction or dropping off in a ditch when turning a corner. A spindle can be damaged if a bearing breaks or seizes and heats up. If the axle is bent or the spindle is damaged then the axle should be replaced. With proper periodic service and freedom from accidental damage an axle should outlast the trailer.
Thanks, Bruce!

But if we don't know a trailer's history, what signs should we look for that a replacement is called for? It's my understanding (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!) that the "torsion arms" can't be repaired or adjusted, but only replaced by a whole-axle job.
What is the periodic service you refer to in your answer? And is there a measurement of play/throw/whatever it might be called that would indicate that the torsion suspension is worn out??

Thanks again,

Francesca
Old 04-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Name: Reace
Trailer: Escape Manufacturer
Hi Gen

If you are still looking to have your axle replaced, we now offer full repair service for fiberglass rv trailers. Even if you want us to just supply the axle, I don't believe any local company can beat our prices. Please let me know if you want the axle with or without brakes.

Reace
Old 04-14-2011, 05:21 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reace View Post
Hi Gen

If you are still looking to have your axle replaced, we now offer full repair service for fiberglass rv trailers. Even if you want us to just supply the axle, I don't believe any local company can beat our prices. Please let me know if you want the axle with or without brakes.

Reace
Hi, Reece

You sound like someone who can answer the questions I asked in the post just before yours!
Can you? Please?

Thanks

Francesca
Old 04-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #20

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1973 Bugeyed Boler
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Bruce

There has been lots of discussions about torsion axles failing after 20 years of use. (frozen, and sagging) Mine has sagged 1 1/2" on one side, and is now a low rider. Look at Roy in TO's thread for pictures. Mine is the same.

Rick
Old 04-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #21

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1973 Bugeyed Boler
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Hi Gen

Reace
Reace
I phoned Escape to get a quote for an axle today - but you are not there. I will phone on Monday when you return.
Rick
Old 04-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Hi Francesca

Depending on how long you have owned the trailer...you can tell a lot by looking at your tires. If the tires don't show any abnormal wear (inside or outside edge) the axle/spindle is probably not bent. Keep in mind, most axles have a slight factory bend in the center of the axle. Removing the hub will expose the spindle for inspection as Bruce pointed out.

The most common problem with a torsion axle is the rubber in the axle hardens with time and being under constant pressure. The Dexter manual suggests we relieve some pressure off the axle when the trailer is in storage for long periods. Very few people do this and after 10 years or so, there is very little suspension if any left in the torsion arm. The tires become your suspension. This doesn't necessarily mean you need to change your axle...your trailer will just have rough ride.

Hope that helps

Reace
Old 04-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhkirkham View Post
Reace
I phoned Escape to get a quote for an axle today - but you are not there. I will phone on Monday when you return.
Rick
Lol...I am actually down in Seattle at a fiberglassing conference and will be back on Monday. Love wi-fi.

Reace
Old 04-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #24

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
The only down side I can see with going to Reace for repairs is that rather than repair the old trailer one might have a hard time convincing one of his new trailers that it cant hook itself up to your tow and go home with you instead - or at least in my case Im pretty sure that would happen. Not sure I would have the will to tell it no. :-)
Old 04-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Hi Francesca

Depending on how long you have owned the trailer...you can tell a lot by looking at your tires. If the tires don't show any abnormal wear (inside or outside edge) the axle/spindle is probably not bent. Keep in mind, most axles have a slight factory bend in the center of the axle. Removing the hub will expose the spindle for inspection as Bruce pointed out.

The most common problem with a torsion axle is the rubber in the axle hardens with time and being under constant pressure. The Dexter manual suggests we relieve some pressure off the axle when the trailer is in storage for long periods. Very few people do this and after 10 years or so, there is very little suspension if any left in the torsion arm. The tires become your suspension. This doesn't necessarily mean you need to change your axle...your trailer will just have rough ride.

Hope that helps

Reace
Can you post the "Dexter Manual" you refer to?
It remains unclear (to me, and perhaps other visitors to the site) what if any maintenance should be performed on the axle, whether the torsion suspension is an integral part thereof, and what performance characteristics are an indication that the suspension of the trailer needs attention.
It seems unlikely that this is a "throwaway/buynew/replace after a certain number of years just because it's old" item.
They didn't learn the wisdom of that marketing trick until some time after the '70's, when our little trailers were first manufactured.
Surely the seals, at least, can be replaced.
The "Dexter Manual" should give a maintenance regimen, and would be useful to all of us with this suspension system in our trailers!

Thanks for sharing your Professional expertise

Francesca
Old 04-14-2011, 11:52 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Ahhh....there are many more on this forum with more knowledge than I on these things....I just add my two bitz every now and again!

I will post the info on maintaining a torsion axle in the next couple of days.

Reace

PS...Carol...I will make sure non of those bad trailers got too close to your car!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:32 AM   #27

Name: Marty
Trailer: 85 U-Haul CT
Ohio
dexter axle

Here in Columbus, Ohio , I just had a Dexter 3500# axle with brakes, hubs, break-a-way switch with battery canister, and a standard ball coupler (couldn't stand the UHaul twist down) installed on my UHaul for just under $1000 including labor. Seemed like a fair price to me.

Marty D
Old 04-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #28

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
PS...Carol...I will make sure non of those bad trailers got too close to your car!
Thanks Reace you know me to well. I just have no back bone when it comes to saying no to one of them! ;-)

Tags
axle