Cost of axle - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #57

Name: Joe
Trailer: Scamp 16 - floor plan #4
Minnesota
Registry
Well, this is what I'm thinking, but I could easily be wrong - if the rubber is still springy, the weight of the trailer would be compressing the suspension somewhat all the time while sitting, and when the trailer was jacked up, the tires would stay on the ground for a bit until that "static compression" was taken out by jacking.

Think of it in reverse - if the trailer was suspended in the air and you gently set it down, the tires should rise up into the wheel wells a bit as the suspension compresses. This isn't happening in my case when I reverse the process, tires come off the ground IMMEDIATELY. There may in fact be some spring left between the resting position and the going-over-a-bump position (which is where you really want it), but I think my scenario means not a lot of springiness left anywhere.

I jack at the frame just ahead of the axle, which I believe is where Scamp recommends jacking. ($30 bottle jack from Northern Tool plus a Sears jack stand and chocks for safety - works really well for me so far.) I doubt that jacking up both wheels would tell you anything that one at a time wouldn't tell you, and it might stress the frame more - from what I've read, you have to watch how you jack Scamps up, as you can put stress in places where the frame isn't happy about it. On the frame, right next to the axle, preferably in front of it, and one side at a time is the best way, I think.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #58

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe in MN View Post
Well, this is what I'm thinking, but I could easily be wrong - if the rubber is still springy, the weight of the trailer would be compressing the suspension somewhat all the time while sitting, and when the trailer was jacked up, the tires would stay on the ground for a bit until that "static compression" was taken out by jacking.

Think of it in reverse - if the trailer was suspended in the air and you gently set it down, the tires should rise up into the wheel wells a bit as the suspension compresses. This isn't happening in my case when I reverse the process, tires come off the ground IMMEDIATELY. There may in fact be some spring left between the resting position and the going-over-a-bump position (which is where you really want it), but I think my scenario means not a lot of springiness left anywhere.

I jack at the frame just ahead of the axle, which I believe is where Scamp recommends jacking. ($30 bottle jack from Northern Tool plus a Sears jack stand and chocks for safety - works really well for me so far.) I doubt that jacking up both wheels would tell you anything that one at a time wouldn't tell you, and it might stress the frame more - from what I've read, you have to watch how you jack Scamps up, as you can put stress in places where the frame isn't happy about it. On the frame, right next to the axle, preferably in front of it, and one side at a time is the best way, I think.
Well, it sounds like my suspension is in better shape than I thought- I've been thinking that it's a little TOO springy.
Of course, mine's a Trillium- they could be a bit different I suppose, though they have (I think) the same axles.
Do you know anything about the Flexiride axle we were talking about earlier in this thread? I'd like to hear from somebody who's used one...

Francesca

Old 04-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #59

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Joe great observation re the jacking up. Twist ties on the curtain rods will solve that on going problem - good or bad axel. :-)
Old 04-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #60

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Do you know anything about the Flexiride axle we were talking about earlier in this thread? I'd like to hear from somebody who's used one...

Francesca
Not a thing, sorry, I'm still trying to figure out the one that came with my trailer. Switching axles is something that I have no clue about, so my own personal plan will be to take the easy way out and just let the Scamp people worry about all that at replacement time. I'd be afraid of running into compatibility issues. (This is coming from the guy who, although not technically challenged, can't come out of Northern Tool with two tires the same size, but that's another story.) That Flexiride does sound like a cool axle, though.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #61

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Twist ties on the curtain rods will solve that on going problem - good or bad axel. :-)
Good idea, thank you!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #62

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1981 Scamp "Huevo Ranchero"
Virginia
Check out these "replacement units" from Northern Tool. I have a Northern Tool local to me--I think I'll check them out.

Reliable Rubber Torsion Axle Suspension Units | Rubber Torsion Axle Suspension Units | Northern Tool + Equipment
Old 04-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #63

Virginia
Getting closer:

Reliable Rubber Torsion Axle for Snowmobile Trailer — 2000-Lb. Capacity, 45° Below Start Angle | Axle Kits | Northern Tool + Equipment
Old 04-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #64

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
That's a good price, has anybody measured the frame width yet?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #65

Virginia
Okay--Here's their brake kit that can be added to any of their torsion axles. They've got axles in 20, 30, and 45-degree drops, plus a variety of frame widths. Anybody know the frame width of the Scamp? I'm not close to the trailer at the moment.

Reliable Electric Brakes — 7in., Pair | Drum Brakes | Northern Tool + Equipment
Old 04-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #66

Registry
I'd be nervous about that 2000 lb weight rating, given the way we all pack our trailers to the gunnels-
Does it come any beefier?

Francesca
Old 04-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #67

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I'd be nervous about that 2000 lb weight rating, given the way we all pack our trailers to the gunnels-
Does it come any beefier?

Francesca
Yes, check out the site way down at the bottom of the page I saw heavier ones.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #68

Virginia
But if you bump up the rating too much it will ride like a solid axle (suspension too stiff). According to one website I saw, the standard axle Scamp is using right now is a 2200-pounder.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #69

Registry
Is that true for the 13 and the 16 footer?
Joe's got a 16- doesn't that weigh almost 1800 lbs before options?
Old 04-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #70

Virginia
Axle data for Scamp 13

FWIW, here's the data I've gathered after calling the Scamp factory and Northern Tool

1981 Scamp 13
Measured frame width: 48 inches
Scamp trailers: 1-800-346-4962
Replacement axle offered w/4-lug hub no brakes
$310
$100 shipping
Dexter
2200lb
b/w brackets 45 3/4 inches
outside to outside 49 3/4 inches
22.5 degree down angle
hub face-to-hub face: 63"
Dexter part number: 9TF22
Northern Tool: 1-800-221-0516 (Molly)
Local Northern Tool: (757) 825-3210
hub face-to-hub face" 62"
50 frame width
45 degree down angle
2000 lb capacity
66 3/4 overall
Part#: 129285
Price:229.99
Hub assembly: 4 lug w/brakes
1 inch bearings
1250lb capability per hub
Part#: 57204
Price: 29.99 each

Upshot is I can get an axle with brakes, free shipping for $300 from Northern Tool (shipped to a local store for my pickup). From Scamp, I get a no-brake axle delivered to my door for an additional $100. A local iron works I called says all torsion axles are made in one or two places and he hasn't seen any quality differences to speak of.

Tags
axle