Cost of axle - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #85

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Rodre you could also just join up with the BC Glass Egg meet next week-end at Fort Langley as Im sure a number of people there will be more than happy to put there two cents worth in as to if you have a problem or not. They may also be willing to share other top secret repair spots. :-)

Old 05-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #86

Name: Rod
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Rodre you could also just join up with the BC Glass Egg meet next week-end at Fort Langley as Im sure a number of people there will be more than happy to put there two cents worth in as to if you have a problem or not. They may also be willing to share other top secret repair spots. :-)
Hi Carol,

Yes, I would love to come out to the meet, can you give me the details as to date and time?

I jacked up the trailer and crawled under it to do a face to face view with the suspect bend in the axel. I don't think it was bent as it looks like it may have been constructed like that as the top of it appears to be straight, although I am not rulling out the bottom of the axel bar being pushed in from a jack, even though I don't see any scars or obvious signs in the paint. I may just have to take this to an axel shop to get piece of mind.

~Rod
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0093.jpg   IMAG0094.jpg  

IMAG0097.jpg   IMAG0098.jpg  

Old 05-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #87

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Wow-
I see where you're concerned-
From what I can see in the pics, it almost looks flattened along the curbside 1/3 of the axle....
It'll be interesting to hear what folks who get a "live" look at it have to say.
Keep us posted!

Francesca
Old 05-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #88

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
It looks like somebody put it in the ditch or over a curb.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #89

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
It looks like somebody put it in the ditch or over a curb.

That is what I thought but when looking at the welded seam that runs the length of the underside of the axel there is absolutely no scratches, dings or dents in it, and what paint that remains wasn't even scratched. I would think that impact of that magnitude would at least scratch the paint, grind down the welded seam, or cause some kind of a dent in the metal. The trailer doesn't feel or look like it is wobbly and actually tracks pretty nice, I had it up over 130KM/H and it didn't even sway and I don't have any sway control and it was bascially empty.

~Rod
Old 05-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #90

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodre View Post
Hi Carol,

Yes, I would love to come out to the meet, can you give me the details as to date and time?

~Rod
Rod the details on the meet can be found listed in the Rally section on this form there is another on in July in Mission as well - check out the rally map for details. Below is the link to the meet at Fort Langley on May 13 -15 - you need to phone Fort Langley and make your own reservations - just tell them you are with the Glass eggs and they will try and put us all together. Phone soon though as I understand they are getting full. You could even come out on Saturday as the trailers with be open for tours - cant recall the time but seem to think 10-12 but I think you will find people if they are around would be happy to show their trailers to you outside that time. In the afternoon at about 4ish most will be around for sure as we have a meeting and pot luck shortly after that.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...est-45199.html
Old 05-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #91

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Rod the details on the meet can be found listed in the Rally section on this form there is another on in July in Mission as well - check out the rally map for details. Below is the link to the meet at Fort Langley on May 13 -15 - you need to phone Fort Langley and make your own reservations - just tell them you are with the Glass eggs and they will try and put us all together. Phone soon though as I understand they are getting full. You could even come out on Saturday as the trailers with be open for tours - cant recall the time but seem to think 10-12 but I think you will find people if they are around would be happy to show their trailers to you outside that time. In the afternoon at about 4ish most will be around for sure as we have a meeting and pot luck shortly after that.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...est-45199.html

Hi Carol,

I tried to book for the 14th online via their website but it looks like they are all booked up is there a secret handshake that will get me in? If they are indeed booked can I still come and look and meet everyone?

~Rod
Old 05-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #92

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodre View Post
Hi Carol,

I tried to book for the 14th online via their website but it looks like they are all booked up is there a secret handshake that will get me in? If they are indeed booked can I still come and look and meet everyone?

~Rod
Rod its better to call them directly to get the discounted rate and tell them you are with the Glass Eggs - 604-888-3678. I just tried to book for that week-end and it came up with some open - perhaps it will not let you do just one night on week-ends hummmm. Note the area we usually book up solid may all be gone but people will also camp in other parts of the park. The only secret hand shake I know of is to get onto the glass eggs email list so you get a reminder to book. :-) Yes you are very much welcome to come and take a look trailer or no trailer - lots of people do. You could even bring out the trailer for the day so some people could take a look at your issue.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #93

British Columbia
Registry
Does anyone know what Dexter model or size of axel would be on my '78 Trillium 1300? It has the electric brakes on it. I have been trying to figure this out so I can order bearings, brake pads and seals from them but haven't been able to figure this out. The only part number I have been able to find is on the brake drum and it is KA-90831 (I think - my memory isn't what it used to be and I am not near the trailer to double check). If anyone has this info it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

BTW, I am looking forward to the Norwest Glass Egg meet this week. I am not sure if I will be able to bring my Trillium as it is currently in many pieces (I keep starting projects on it before I finish prior ones), but I am trying. Also the weather will play a factor as I have started to scrape off all the old silicone on it and won't be re-sealing it until I get it polished and waxed, after I figure out if I need to reseal the windows.

~Rodre
Old 05-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #94

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Rodre...How badly worn are the tires? If they're severely worn on the inner or outer edges then you have a problem!!!
The axle must have some arc to it so the tires sit properly on the road surface.
Do a chaulk test. Put chaulk marks across the treadface in several places then tug the trailer around the block and see what part of the chaulk lines are left when you get back.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 05-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #95

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Rodre...How badly worn are the tires? If they're severely worn on the inner or outer edges then you have a problem!!!
The axle must have some arc to it so the tires sit properly on the road surface.
Do a chaulk test. Put chaulk marks across the treadface in several places then tug the trailer around the block and see what part of the chaulk lines are left when you get back.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Hi Alf,

The tires were the originals from 1978 and actually have about 90% thread left. I don't see any bad wear patterns on those or the new ones, even though I towed it 2500KMs on the old ones and then 2500KMs on the new ones. Maybe I haven't towed it far enough? I think I have to take it to an axel shop to get peace of mind.

~Rod
Old 05-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #96

Name: Joe
Trailer: none
Wyoming
Click image for larger version

Name:	scamp001 (26) (Small).jpg
Views:	14
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	35919
I would not be concerned. Your 'bend' in in the center is normal, most axles are manufactured with a slight bend. The picture is of my scamp as picked up at the factory.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:48 PM   #97

Name: Blake
Trailer: '79 Boler 13
British Columbia
Just a real quick axel tip for anyone researching buying one. If you are going to have someone else install it don't waste a lot of time like I did doing exact measuremets and sourcing the perfect axel. I did a lot of that and then when i took all that in they of course ignored it and did the measurements themselves and ordered the axel they liked.

Whats crazy is that if i had used my measurements and bought my dexter it would not have fit. they insisted they order some flexride from
Alberta and it is adjustable, which turned out to be lucky because we had to make it higher than the fixed axel i was going to order to made it clear the door side where it sticks out a bit. (boler owners ill know)
Old 05-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #98

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, Blake

In my opinion, your shop did you a further service by supplying you with an axle that has replaceable parts, unlike a Dexter axle.
The important parts of a Flexiride can be removed for repairs.
The only thing you can do with a failing Dexter is throw the whole thing away and buy a new one.

Nanaimo is in British Columbia, right? What's the name of the shop that did your work?
Others in your area might want to use it!

Francesca

Tags
axle