Couch back/upper bunk help needed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2015, 11:20 PM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Couch back/upper bunk help needed

Hi all! I have all the hardware I need for the upper bunk in my 1979 scamp. However, I have NO cushion!

Can anyone help me with the construction specs? I know it's a plywood base, probably 1/2"? Or 3/4"? With screws for the posts to link into. Anything else important?

Also guessing it's the same exact size as the bottom cushion + banana cushion together?

Much appreciated!
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:58 AM   #2

Name: Jeff short for Jennifer
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
North Carolina
Where are you located? We have cushions from our 77 and don't need them. We are located in Chapel Hill NC.
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:25 AM   #3

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
Where are you located? We have cushions from our 77 and don't need them. We are located in Chapel Hill NC.
Thanks for the thought, but probably way too far away in Colorado. I imagine shopping would be pretty atrocious for it!
Old 08-30-2015, 10:29 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Maybe you could provide measurements
I'm sure others have same issues
Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:30 AM   #5

North Carolina
Sure can and pics. Won't be home until tomorrow. Top and bottom are slightly different sizes because is the curves
Old 08-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #6

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
I can go take measurements of ours tomorrow, if that's soon enough! I'm also in Colorado (Denver Metro area) if you are close and want to come and take a look for yourself
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:56 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The first thing to check is the mounting ledge under the front window. Make sure it is still solid and tightly attached to the shell, no wiggle. Given the age of your Scamp, front window leaks in the past may have allowed water to get inside the fiberglass and rot the wood, so inspect carefully. In this picture the ledge is the rat-fur-covered piece that the hinge screws into. This is looking up from under the bunk. Notice that the ledge carries the weight, so its integrity is critical. The offset hinge just holds it in position and allows it to pivot to the backrest position.

Name:   Bunk Hinge.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  22.3 KB

The upper bunk platform is 3" foam glued to 3/4" plywood. Upholstery goes over all. The plywood is three pieces, one large center piece and two small wings attached with piano hinge on the foam side. The wings allow the bunk to conform to the curve of the shell when lowered.

Name:   Bunk Base 1.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  20.0 KB

Name:   Bunk Base 2.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  15.4 KB

I vaguely recall someone may have posted a link to a template for the pieces of plywood, but I couldn't find it. Maybe someone else can help, but if not…

You can make your own template from cardboard. Use the bottom seat as a starting point. That should get you very close. Make it a few inches wider (front to back) to start so you can fine tune the curved edge. Put the piece of cardboard in place where the upper bunk goes, resting the front on the mounting ledge and propping up the other end. If it fits, great. If you need to adjust the curve for a better fit, lay a piece of garden hose on top of the cardboard pressed tightly against the front curve of the trailer. Trace along the garden hose on the cardboard. Cut the cardboard on your traced line and it should follow the trailer's curve very closely this time.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garden Hose Trick.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	88259

Now tape the template to the mounting ledge from below so you can fold it down to make the backrest. When in the dropped position, the upper bunk should rest against the fiberglass of the base (behind the main seat cushion) about 3-4" out from the front wall (the banana cushion stores behind it turned on edge) . Cut down the width of the bunk template so that when raised it is even with the front of the seat base and when lowered it rests against the seat base close to the wall. Looser is better than tighter because foam and fabric will add to the dimensions later. Rough guess… allow a gap of about 1/4" - 3/8" all around. As you do this you will need to fold the wings (using the attached pictures as a guide) to get a good fit to the curvature of the front shell.

This thread is pretty helpful and you'll recognize some of the pictures.

Hope some of this helps!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:58 PM   #8

Colorado
Registry
Oooo, thanks everyone! This is super helpful. We have the ledge in good condition with all hardware, who knows why there is no bunk anymore!
Old 08-31-2015, 03:03 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Burro, HELIO
Washington
Registry
Jennifer,

I have one I just removed I'll give you if you want it. I live in Albuquerque so we are not that far apart if you guys are in Denver.

John
John Colangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:44 PM   #10

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Colangelo View Post
Jennifer,

I have one I just removed I'll give you if you want it. I live in Albuquerque so we are not that far apart if you guys are in Denver.

John
Very generous of you, but we don't have the time for driving right now. School has restarted!
Old 09-04-2015, 06:12 AM   #11

North Carolina
So are you interested in me sending you our top bunk? I still think easier and cheaper than making one. Just PM me if you are interested