Cover needed for storage. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2016, 11:55 AM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: Beachcomber
Nova Scotia
Registry
Cover needed for storage.

Ive got a '77 Beachcomber B15. I store it in our yard all winter long (Nova Scotia, Canada). It gets a lot of dirt and stuff on it from the trees all year long, and in the winter, a lot of snow.

What would be a good brand of cover to buy for it. I just got it painted this year, and would like to keep it clean(ish) over the non-camping seasons.

Thoughts?
rambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #2

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Cover

Hey Christopher,
Here in the states Camping world carries a variety of covers at 2-4 different price points. Calmark are highly regarded covers and are custom made for a variety of fiberglass trailers. I don't know if the make them for your particular trailer but their website says they are custom made so they should be able to help you. They are located in Oxnard CA. Phone# 1-800-838-7326. We have one for our Casita and are very happy with it. Hope that helps. Peace!
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambit View Post
Ive got a '77 Beachcomber B15. I store it in our yard all winter long (Nova Scotia, Canada). It gets a lot of dirt and stuff on it from the trees all year long, and in the winter, a lot of snow.
What would be a good brand of cover to buy for it. I just got it painted this year, and would like to keep it clean(ish) over the non-camping seasons.
Thoughts?
Chris, would a carport be out of the question? I'm a little leary of covers after a buddy of mine had a nicely restored car stored under a $$$ fitted car cover that had some of the paint marred up by dust that had filtered through it. Even with it being a snug fit it still moves a bit from the wind. He wasn't happy.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #4

Nova Scotia
Registry
A carport would be ideal... however... a little more than i want to spend.

I would like to keep the trailer in good shape. I hear your concerns about the marring of the paint, but I think I could take that risk. Currently, I'm getting tired of rubbing sap and pushing old leaves off of it.

Thanks for the input. I'll check out those covers you recommended, Wayne
Old 09-05-2016, 02:55 PM   #5

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Has anyone found an inexpensive metal-framed canvas carport that doesn't get reviews like, "Great, except in high wind and snow"?

We live in New England. . .

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #6

Name: Melody
Alberta
Registry
Please update with what you decide upon. I'm from Saskatchewan Canada and just bought a 77 Beachcomber B15 as well! Can get a fair bit of snow and down to -40C in the winter.

I live in a condo and will need to store the trailer at a friends acreage about an hour away over winter.

Just saw an add for a "heavy duty poly tarp" on sale at princess auto. Was looking at Peavy Mart and they had more expensive canvas tarps (in addition to poly). I also saw a fluffy white "insulation" tarp. Really wondering what is the best tarp material to use. Also, wondering if you belt it down over roof and down sides of trailer or if it's best to build a carport with the tarp (attach to trees etc.) and not have tarp directly on the fibreglass? Any special treatment for the roof vent storing over winter?
Melody beachcomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:57 AM   #7

Name: JAMES
Trailer: SCAMP
New Hampshire
Go to Harbor Freight they have just what you need for affordable price!
See youtube
polskasila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:08 PM   #8

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
While it is still summerish, grap some pool noodles. They work very well as a buffer on the roof of the trailer. They also allow more air circulation under the tarp. Just lay them across the roof and tarp over them.

Here on the west coast we use a double layer of tarp over pool noodles. We tie it down tight so it has very little movement.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:12 PM   #9

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polskasila View Post
Go to Harbor Freight they have just what you need for affordable price!
[/url]
You're in New Hampshire. Will these survive snowstorms and nor'easters?

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #10

Name: Melody
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Claire View Post
While it is still summerish, grap some pool noodles. They work very well as a buffer on the roof of the trailer. They also allow more air circulation under the tarp. Just lay them across the roof and tarp over them.

Here on the west coast we use a double layer of tarp over pool noodles. We tie it down tight so it has very little movement.
Thank you! Our weather is a lot harsher in winter than yours. Do you use any poly tarp or is there a particular brand/type that works best? I've seen various prices and thicknesses, I suppose the thickest one can afford?
Melody beachcomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:56 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I don't have a cover for my trailer, other than a good coat of quality wax.
In my years here and on another forum I have only read bad experiences and warnings not to use poly tarps. Proper Calmark covers seem most recommended, but I'm sticking with wax.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:00 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2005 Bigfoot 17.5'
Alberta
Just a quick suggestion for anyone wanting to try out the cheapo shelters...the fabric is generally pretty heavy duty, I use one from the Co-op here in Alberta...BUT...what usually happens is no matter how securely you think you have it staked down, a little rain softens the ground and the wind carries it off. What I ended up doing is rounding up about 20 sturdy pallets to make a "floor", and building the shelter on that. With quads, mowers...or a trailer...sitting on those, it's unlikely to be going anywhere. Drive around a bit, and you should be able to find some that need hauling away.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambit View Post

Thoughts?
Chris,

I'll offer this under the "thoughts in gestation" category as I notice you didn't ask for "clever thoughts" or, worse yet, "really good ideas".

It appears that codes and such would not allow me to build a carport or any such "structure" in the only location that is practical for our property. So, as with so many things, I have pondered alternatives.

One is to have a relatively lightweight welded-steel moment-frame constructed. From there I would fasten the feet to the slab our trailer sits on and cover the frame with awning fabric of some sort. That's something I'm pondering trying out on the building officials; in essence exploring the limits of what defines a "structure".

One of my whackier ideas of late is to build a "hat" for the trailer. I imagine something with light (nominal 1x2?) wood framing members with glue-and-screwed stress skin panels of very light plywood (1/8" to 1/4"), perhaps on both the tops and bottoms of the framing. This would be coated with SpanTex or Fiberglass or some other weatherproof coating system. It would be custom designed with curved framing members to conform to the shape of the trailer's roof and rooftop AC.

There would be foam strategically placed between the "hat" and the trailer roof. It would have attachment points for "chinstraps" (ratchet straps) to run under the trailer and hold the "hat" down securely. The "hat" probably would not have any side panels as, in our climate, I am primarily concerned with rain and UV exposure. We do have very high winds that will be an issue, but I am mainly concerned with reducing the potential of leakage from chronic exposure to rain from above.

Remember, you did only ask for "thoughts".

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:04 PM   #14

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry

Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1473285538.350051.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  24.7 KB
ive used this cover for several years now, and 3 of those were in Quebec where the trailer was in a snowy, windswept spot. It's stood up very well. The material is a soft, breathable, woven synthetic but very strong. And no wear on the trailer. I got it online. It was the 13' Trillium size.
It would be like those ones from California or Camping world. I remember it cost around $100.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:39 AM   #15

Nova Scotia
Registry
Cover needed for storage.

That seems to be what I'm leaning towards Philip, however I think it will have to be a custom cover, as there doesn't seem to be a standard beachcomber size.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV