Cover or not? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2018, 09:22 AM   #1

Name: outdoorman
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Cover or not?

I have a 1999 Casita 16 LD that I got used and the exterior needs some restoring due to dull finish; what I think is oxidation.
It looks ok after cleaning but not shiny. I live in Georgia and bought it in Florida so it has probably been in the south with lots of sun exposure during summers.
I don't have a garage or carport for it and am hesitant to spend $500 on a CarMart cover. Are there any less expensive alternative covers that work?
Also, does sun exposure lead to permenant damage of the fiberglass or comestic only?

Thanks
outdoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:34 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
I have a 1999 Casita 16 LD that I got used and the exterior needs some restoring due to dull finish; what I think is oxidation.
It looks ok after cleaning but not shiny. I live in Georgia and bought it in Florida so it has probably been in the south with lots of sun exposure during summers.
I don't have a garage or carport for it and am hesitant to spend $500 on a CarMart cover. Are there any less expensive alternative covers that work?
Also, does sun exposure lead to permenant damage of the fiberglass or comestic only?

Thanks
I use a classic cover for my scamp 13 from amazon, it was ~$100. They have bigger sizes that fit 16+ Seems like a decent cover for the money.
Attached Thumbnails
20180510_183339.jpg   20180510_183412.jpg  

Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:18 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I polish twice a year with a quality wax. If needed, I will use 3M Cleaner/Wax. For regular wash jobs, I use Simonize Wash and Wax.

I have no cover, nor do I have a cover for my cover to keep the green slime off it.
Attached Thumbnails
Steven polish.jpg  
Old 05-16-2018, 10:20 AM   #4

Georgia
thanks, I'm going to see if they have one for my trailer.
Do they 'breathe'; allow air circulation
Old 05-17-2018, 02:43 PM   #5

Name: Donna
Trailer: Escape 19
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I polish twice a year with a quality wax. If needed, I will use 3M Cleaner/Wax. For regular wash jobs, I use Simonize Wash and Wax.

I have no cover, nor do I have a cover for my cover to keep the green slime off it.
How do you get up there to do the top? Can you stand on top? I can't reach it on a ladder.
DonnaLandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:50 PM   #6

I lean a ladder against the trailer and use a long arm brush. Pool noodles on the ladder protect the trailer. NEVER stand on top. You can lean on it, but weight is on the ladder.
Attached Thumbnails
Ladder cushions.jpg  
Old 05-17-2018, 03:05 PM   #7

IL
Quote:
I lean a ladder against the trailer and use a long arm brush. Pool noodles on the ladder protect the trailer. NEVER stand on top. You can lean on it, but weight is on the ladder.
Great idea with the pool noodle! I will make use of this soon as I just received my Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Wax from amazon.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:55 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompka View Post
Great idea with the pool noodle! I will make use of this soon as I just received my Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Wax from amazon.
.Pipe insulation comes pre-split just like what you are seeing on this ladder and it is black or grey. Pool noodles are not pre-split, it comes in summer time fun colors. What you see in the photo is not a pool noodle it is instead pipe insulation.

It makes sense to get the pipe wrap stuff that is already split. It also comes in a variety of diameters which makes it easy to find something that will fit around the ladder's structure. No point in sending people out to shop for stuff that is a lot more trouble to work with.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:15 PM   #9

I am now using pool noodles. Easy enough to split with a bread knife ( to be picky, I used my Leatherman ). Pool noodles were thicker and cheaper.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:23 PM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I used a piece of left over carpet folded over the top of the ladder and held in place with a bungee. The carpet insured that no marks or damage were left on the Scamp.

But I have since gone to a step ladder and find it works eaiser.

In both cases I could reach about 90% of the roof without putting more of my weight on the roof than I thought prudent. If you need to get to that last 10% (or are shorter in statute), then scaffolding or some creative solution might be called for.

But back to the original question, I am no authority but I think frequent cleaning and waxing (with quality products) will avoid almost all UV and environmental damage to the fiberglass (gel-coat). it does take more effort however.

The rubber and the hoses, etc are another concern. I use pure silicone paste 2 x a year on most rubber surfaces.

A garage is ideal. A car-port almost as good, and a cover can be good or bad. A good cover likely protects the camper well in many environments. A bad cover, such as one that traps moisture, or rubs on the glass, causes more harm than it does good. I don't think there is any question that Calmark makes a good cover. It is possible that other covers also work well and are cheaper, but that is not as sure a bet. And there are some covers that you are definitely better off not using and instead letting the sun have its way. At least that is my take on the question.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:08 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
There was a recent poll with some interesting posts on the subject here:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ses-84419.html

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:32 AM   #12

Name: Tom
Oregon
We have a Calmark cover. It's hard to put on, but quite effective in use. It came with the trailer, so I did not need to shell out the $$$$ directly for it!

The sun here in Morgan Hill CA is brutal, and starts peeling automotive clear coat in 5 to 7 years. You see a lot of older cars with 20% to 50% of the clear coat gone. I once used a cheap nylon cover on my car, and found it scratched the paint when the wind caused it to rub the dust on the paint.

Gelcoat is not as picky, but still, I keep the trailer covered.

If you don't use a cover, Gelcoat is a lot thicker than paint or clearcoat and can take a lot more buffing if it turns dull. But that's a lot of work on something the size of an egg!
TomE11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:09 AM   #13

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Pool noodles

Quote:
I am now using pool noodles. Easy enough to split with a bread knife ( to be picky, I used my Leatherman ). Pool noodles were thicker and cheaper.
Noodles are a dollar at Dollar Tree. Usually about the same most other places at the end of summer. A while back, someone suggested putting them across the roof to act as a standoff so the cover isn't rubbing directly on the roof. They could be glued to the cover, or tied to each other with string so the don't slip.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:55 AM   #14

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
From Civilguy:

There was a recent poll with some interesting posts on the subject here:
Poll: Do you cover your egg between uses?

Thank you. I was thinking the same thing.

BEST
Kai
Old 06-15-2018, 04:35 AM   #15

Georgia
Thanks, I would like a carmar cover but that's a lot $.For now it needs a good cleaning a waxing anyway.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:12 AM   #16

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
IMHO, Carolina Carport of your choice is the way to go! Most of us, the camper spends more time sitting in storage/the year/driveway/whatever than it does on the road. Having it covered extends the life and reduces maintenance IMHO.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:09 PM   #17

Name: Jan
Trailer: Winnebago
New York
Quote:
I love the pool noodle idea!
Elphaba58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:53 PM   #18

IL
I've been using my cheap classic accessories cover for a few months now and I like it. I wash the camper after coming back from a trip and then put the cover on. This way its nice and clean for the next trip. We have had plenty of rain and wind and it seems to be holding up great. I have plans eventually to make a lean to carport, but its a very tight space and I just don't have the time at the moment so the cover for $100 fits the bill.