Cover vs no cover - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-01-2015, 11:23 AM   #15

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I'll do you one better than that Barbin. I've been asked similar questions and have emailed pics etc. So I created an "album" on my Flickr site and added 3 more pics that have descriptions with the information you request.

Another perk I failed to mention with a carport is, you have FULL access to your trailer anytime without having to remove the cover. We HAVE used our Scamp as a sleep-over if all the kids are here. With ANY cover, it would need to be removed to use the A/C etc. I think the one I mentioned in another post at LEAST has a door access which is a nice touch. Anyway, here's more photos (watch the post right beside the pic I sent you earlier...it's kinda hard to pick out but has the sizes etc. you ask about.)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57657635513489

PS: As others have cautioned, check with codes before installing a carport such as this one...especially anchoring it as solid as I have mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post
Thanks for your enlightening reply. How long are the 4 corner angle braces and how far into the ground? I'm across the road from the ocean and we get some pretty wicked windstorms in the the winter. The only space I have for a carport like that would face directly into the wind, hence my questions!

Old 09-01-2015, 11:36 AM   #16

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I did something like what Darrel did. Except mine is between the house and a board fence. It was a pretty tight fit but saved me the expense of side panels.

If you choose to go this route I strongly suggest you make sure the installation used "duckbills" in the corners. At a previous location I had a larger carport installed. All they did was drive 4' rebar stakes into the ground. Everytime there was wind storm I had to drive the stakes back in. With the "duckbills" it stays put.

One of the things I really like about this kind of protection is that I can open windows and allow the trailer to have ventilation and not worry about rain, which we get a lot of here in sunny Oregon.

Mine is also a graveled pad. With lots of gravel and will compacted. With the gravel I can easily move the trailer around with a trailer dolly. The paved driveway is next to the graveled pad.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:39 PM   #17

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I'll do you one better than that Barbin. I've been asked similar questions and have emailed pics etc. So I created an "album" on my Flickr site and added 3 more pics that have descriptions with the information you request.

Another perk I failed to mention with a carport is, you have FULL access to your trailer anytime without having to remove the cover. We HAVE used our Scamp as a sleep-over if all the kids are here. With ANY cover, it would need to be removed to use the A/C etc. I think the one I mentioned in another post at LEAST has a door access which is a nice touch. Anyway, here's more photos (watch the post right beside the pic I sent you earlier...it's kinda hard to pick out but has the sizes etc. you ask about.)

PS: As others have cautioned, check with codes before installing a carport such as this one...especially anchoring it as solid as I have mine!
Hi Byron, What are 'duckbills' and how do they work?
Yes, access off-season is important here too.
More gravel needed for my site. Compacted too, as I had an huge issue last time!
Thanks for the info.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:49 PM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post

Thanks, Darral for the photos. You mentioned earlier that you raised the unit 1 foot and added roof braces. I understand why it was raised, but what about the roof business?
Is there a brand name for the 'carport'?
I'm in Canada, living in a rural district on acreage, so I know the codes for here and it's all good.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:59 PM   #19

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Don't know where you are in BC but you might want to check with our local Municipality to see what the rules are in regards to that types of movable/portable garage. Some do not permit them at all and others only allow them if they are in a back yard and out of sight.
Hi Carol, I'm over on the island. I met you at the Spring NOG Meet last year and again at Fort Langley in May this year. Off to the Boler & Friends in Sooke in a couple of weeks. It will be nice not to have to get on (and pay) for a ferry!
Just back from my 3 month road trip with Ruby Tuesday to Inuvik. Discovered I needed the Trillium's axle raised for using the BC Rec Sites, and to avoid damage to the front of the trailer from the difference in height to my 4x4 truck spitting rocks. Punched a hole in the front of the FG. Couldn't get onto to the free ferry that crosses the Mackenzie River due to the height of the trailer. So it was a day trip to Inuvik which was enough. 12,700 km later with only the FG damage and a side marker light gone we're back in one piece. No flat tires on either, but a broken windshield on the truck, but I was expecting that. Guess it was because I took 2 spares for each!

Next up is across Canada. See you at another meet next time I can afford to get off this island.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:37 PM   #20

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I use a cheap blue tarp on our daughters pop-up, even when it's in my barn for the winter,to keep dust and bird crap off it. I've had some of the blue color come off the tarps onto the camper top. Not a significant issue on that trailer, but something to be aware of.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:24 PM   #21

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
My eventual plan is a permanent roof from the garage over to posts bedded in cement over a concrete pad...we have a perfect space between our fence and garage, with enough space for the required setback.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:45 AM   #22

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Nice carport, what company made this?
Old 09-07-2015, 12:16 PM   #23

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Mine is made by Eagle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohn View Post
Nice carport, what company made this?
Old 09-16-2015, 09:46 AM   #24

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
I got this a few years ago at Costco - cheap, and too low so had to raise it, add cross bracing and anchoring as wind protection, then added a cheap Harbor Freight tarp on top as a wear buffer. Got it primarily for protection from the harsh sun and random hail storms.
Attached Thumbnails
Wintr01b.jpg  
Old 09-16-2015, 10:42 AM   #25

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post

Next up is across Canada. See you at another meet next time I can afford to get off this island.
LOL being an Island girl myself I understand..... best sale/deal BC Ferries offered for the trailer was mid week after 5 travel last year.

Glad you had a great trip North..... my turn soon!!!!

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote