Crossing the border to Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2007, 01:38 PM   #1

Trailer: Trail Michigante
Unhappy

We're looking forward to a trip to Alberta next summer and are wondering what the Canadian legal requirements are regarding our lil egg. We assume that we'll need our California registration and proof of insurance.

Anything else beyond that? Is there a minimum insurance liability amount? Anything else we need to be aware of??

Vic and Kathy
Vic&Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:27 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
We're looking forward to a trip to Alberta next summer and are wondering what the Canadian legal requirements are regarding our lil egg. We assume that we'll need our California registration and proof of insurance.

Anything else beyond that? Is there a minimum insurance liability amount? Anything else we need to be aware of??

Vic and Kathy
I beleive your right---Insurance and Identification and your in Alberta. Enjoy our Province.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 1977 Boler 17 ft
Remember firearms are restricted in Canada. Be sure to have your proper ID, passport is propably the best, especially to get back into the USA. Hope you have a wonderful trip. I would recommend trying to visit the Banff area and if you do visit the Banff Springs Hotel.
Neil W' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
If you have a dog you'll need a rabies certificate.
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:05 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Quote:
If you have a dog you'll need a rabies certificate.
We were in Canada last summer. All you need is a US Passport make sure you sign it, current insurance card for vehicle, and if you take the dog a rabbies certificate and health check up. So go and enjoy Canada.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:19 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
If you have had an OUI Conviction (Drunk Driving) in the USA, no matter how long ago, make sure you have proper papers from the state saying your no longer a threat to be on the road.
I had a conviction from 11 years ago and the Canadian Council said I could apply to them, for a price of $300, (2 years ago) for a form to fill out and then there was no guarantee they would let me in the country.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:19 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Dumb question here:
Does one need proof of insurance only on the tow vehicle, or on the trailer as well. Do most insurance companies that insure autos offer insurance for trailers as well? I never even thought about this before when we had out sailboat we towed.

Todd
Todd Sleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:26 AM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Todd....
I would have the same question as my motorists insurance company told me my trailer is automatically covered for liability only when i am towing it............ When i asked for complete coverage on the trailer i was quoted a very high price and said if the trailer got wrecked it would only cover my 94 casita for $2400....... I have liability only when towing on the trailer but no added paperwork for it.......... I also wonder if i could get into canada like that.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:25 AM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-vo...itors-eng.html

This is the official site for Canada Border Services: info for visitors travelling to Canada.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:56 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Just a note here: The proof of insurance needed in Canada is not just that one has insurance, but that the insurance is VALID IN CANADA! One doesn't need this at the border, but will need it if stopped by law enforcement. I forget what the form is called, but contact your insurance company and they will likely email one.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:16 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler 1984
I have 1,000,000 liability insurance on the trailer. The cost is $27.00 thru my auto insurer. I figure that if the trailer takes off on its own, then it's covered.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:11 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
Just a note here: The proof of insurance needed in Canada is not just that one has insurance, [b]but that the insurance is VALID IN CANADA!
I wonder if this is similar to what is required in Mexico?
Most US policies are NOT valid in Mexico, and a separate Term policy is usually required for Americans driving there.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:35 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Different ballgame in my experience. US insurance may be valid (mine is) in the border zone (as Mexican ins is valid, I believe, in the border zone on the US side, but once deep (about 15 miles I think) inside either country different rules apply. Need to have MX ins, need to get automobile tourist visa, need to provide credit card, need to exit country at same border station where entered, etc.

Canada, OTOH, is different (unless challenged at border, then must prove financial status), with no vehicle registration and 180 days stay without visa.

As stated above, Canadian immigration officials have access to US criminal data bases, and anything that would be considered a felony in Canada is a personal no-no. I know a couple who had to pay a $200CDN waiver because the husband had been arrested, but never charged, more than ten years prior...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:37 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
We picked up a proof of insurance card for Canada from our Farmers Insurance Agent, it was on a Motor Home. We also got one for the towed car. I do not remember what we did the first time in about 1986 when we did take a pick-up and a trailer. We did not have any additional insurance on the trailer at that time, just what went with the pick-up.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote