Cushion Storage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #1

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Question Cushion Storage

What different methods do folks use to store their dinette cushions? Do you leave them in the camper, cover them with plastic, store indoors, or other clever methods?

My concerns are mildew and varmits (bugs, mice). I use Cab Fresh and no longer have the Scamp electrical cord "mouse hole". Still.... I've always brought them indoors but my inside storage is very tight.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:59 AM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Indoors. I have plenty of room for them. Another option for you would be to get some storage totes, use stick on weatherstripping to make them air tight and use them to store the cushions in the trailer. I have a couple of bins I did that to that I used to use when car-camping. The bins would go on the roof rack and never let water in even driving through downpours. You could even throw some of those moisture absorbing packs you get in electronics into the bottom just in case.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:41 PM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
We turned the entire rear "dinette" area into a full time full-size permanent mattress, with a real 10" thick pillow top mattress, (not one of those silly useless foam pads or egg crate crap things,) before it ever left the factory, and it is always in place as our full-time bed. As to the factory cushions? They went, brand new, to the town dump. I don't have room to keep crap I'll never use again. Keep them for resale? Who cares, I'll bequeath the trailer to the family to fight over. Betcha they won't miss them at all. That's my clever method to store them anyway. YMMV
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:23 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Indoors of course, for many reasons (whenever the camper is in storage for more than three months or so).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20181015_171950586[1].jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:34 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Indoors of course

If I stored my cushions indoors, I'd have to move out to the trailer to make room for them.

I just keep them on end, install a couple Dri-Z-Air containers and run an electric heater from time to time ( with Maxxfan open ).
Old 10-15-2018, 03:54 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
...and run an electric heater from time to time ( with Maxxfan open ).
Why did I just hear my long departed father say, "Are you trying to heat all outdoors!"

But agreed, while indoors is best, if that is not feasible then in the camper and having ventilation around the cushions is good and storing them on edge or end will also help you keep an eye on them for unwanted guests, water leaks, etc.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #7

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
cushion storage?

This is our first winter w a TT in the 'Seattle of the South' (Nashville area).

After watching a dozen YT videos and reading sevral forums, we plan to leave the cushions IN the rig, but prop some supports under them for air circulation, & bring IN the 3" memory foam "toppers" we made ....and use a big bucket of Damp-rid in the doorway. The TT is covered with its cover and on shore power.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:45 AM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
you could go get some sheets of clear or black poly plastic from the tarp aisle of the hardware store and some rolls of good quality packaging tape. the use that to seal up the cushions into custom sized packets. try to get it air tight as possible. be sure the cushions are dry before you seal them up. sunshine is a good sterilizer to use before putting them into the bags...if it is still available.

You can also wrap them up that way and put them under beds inside your house or even up in the attic if you have one. Attics are designed to be well ventilated so that they stay dry. They make a good storage space for objects that are not bothered by the cold during the winter time.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:54 AM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
You could get some sheets of clear or black poly plastic from the tarp aisle of the hardware store and some rolls of good quality packaging tape. The use those materials to seal up the cushions into custom sized packets. Make it air tight, squish the bags to see if there are air leaks. If so add more tape, it does not have to look pretty.

You can also wrap them up that way and put them under beds inside your house or even up in the attic if you have one. Attics are well ventilated and dry, they make good storage space for objects in the winter time.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:37 AM   #10

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
While in VT I built a Scamport to protect my Scamp, and I lifted the cushions so they rest on their edges, for better ventilation. Now we enjoy the dry climate in CO and I leave them flat, in their place. But since I do not have a roof over it now and it is next to the house, I can check it for leaks every time we have snow or rain.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote