Cushions and stuff - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Hey gang...new to the group.

I have something similar...I purchased a 13ft Scamp that appears to have been owned by the US Navy at one time. It is completely stripped bare, no cushions, no exterior lights, no propane, battery, spare, dinette table, cabinet knobs...you get the picture.

Anyhow, I've begun the process of getting her ready for some spring camping. I found a very generous person on the yahoo scamp list who offered me his sofa cushions for the price of shipping. That'll go a long way to get me started. I purchased a dinette table and hardware from Scamptrailers, but was hesitant to pay $450 plus $100 shipping for a complete set of cushions.

I've been thinking how wonderful it would be to have solid Microfiber cushion covers over memory foam. Microfiber is durable, comfortable, waterproof, stain resistant and machine washable.

Does anyone have any experience with microfiber/memory foam cushions? Any tips?

Also, (SHAMELESS PLUG) if anyone has any extra exterior lights (round tail lights) for a 13 ft scamp sitting around in their garage...hit me up.
dsteinhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi ????

Before you pay for the shipping of the front bunk (sofa) be sure how you want to use that area. The first thing we did when we got our new Scamp was to remove those pieces to make a nice (almost 30" wide) bed up front. Of course if you want 2 very small beds up there then you need all the equipment for the front.

First I tried to use part of the original cushions for the base, but did not like the banana part and narrow bottom piece. Then I took the top bunk piece and used that as a base, but getting into the under bunk storage was a pain.

Now I have 3 inches of firm density foam for the bottom with a 3inch memory foam on top. That has worked wonderful. Everything bends easily so I can get into the storage underneath and it is very comfortable to sleep on.

There are only two of us. One sleeps on the big rear bed, where we also use 3" memory foam on the firm original cushions. I purchased a queen size memory foam topper and cut in down the middle. We make the bed up daily back there so have to store the 3 cushions I made for that area.

Think about how you want to use your unit. Lots of people do not use the back table. In that case get yourself some foam, find an old electric knife and start forming your foam. Lots of people go to overstock.com for their foam. Can't remember where I got mine. All memory foam is not equal. The one we got for the trailer is not so soft as one I recently got for my bed at home (from Target I think). The soft one just bottoms out.

Enjoy your project.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Hello & !

I'm afraid we don't have any spare lights to share but you might want to check out
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/ They carry all sorts of things. I know they have exterior lights that are just like the ones on our 82 Scamp.

As for the cushions, that sounds like an interesting idea! We have the original 4" foam cushions re-covered with denim. They're okay but I would prefer something a little softer. If you do the memory foam, I'd like to hear how it turns out. We use a 1" memory foam topper over the cushions when we make the bed in the Scamp. Even that little bit makes such a difference!

Happy trails!

Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:04 PM   #4

Sandra,

Are you going to the Townsend, TN event April 24-26? We are thinking of going down there and people can see the way we did the beds there if we make it. New foam isn't cheap but it sure has been nice to sleep on. One of the places I looked at for foam was in Knoxville, right near Townsend. But I got mine somewhere else.

Oops, been reading posts from too many people in the southeast, just looked at yours and there is no location. Sorry, thought you were down there when I typed above.

If you are going to Grand Maria, MN mid June we will be there too.

Nancy
Old 03-26-2008, 12:49 PM   #5

Everyone,
Sorry for not signing my posting.

Nancy,
Would love to see pics of your front bed configuration.

Thanks!

Doug
Old 03-26-2008, 12:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Since you're starting from scratch, perhaps you'd like to update the tail lights to something that folks can actually SEE.... the original wedding (birthday?) cake lenses on the round taillights are light blockers.

Check out this topic for more info: LED Tail Lights
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:08 PM   #7

Thank you Donna!

Right now I have a pair of magnetic towing lights I stick on the bumper, but I am planning on finding a more permanent solution.

Any suggestions on which LED lights from the etruck sight would fit an 86 Scamp 13ft?

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
scamp2.jpg  
Old 03-26-2008, 01:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Any suggestions on which LED lights from the etruck sight would fit an 86 Scamp 13ft?
Doug
I'd go with the 7" Stop/Tail/Turn - Red #M90061R - $26.99

As an FYI, these are commonly called "Bus Lights" and you may find them locally... at least you wouldn't have to pay shipping.

Just be aware, they don't have a way to light your license plate light (built it), so you'll need to make provisions for that

Old 03-26-2008, 03:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
We used a Piranha LED kit that Lowes carry for about $75. They are rectangular rather than round, but mount very easily. They include the license frame and lighting capability and have side lights built in. I personally like them better than the round. Nice thing with fiberglass, most anything can be adapted.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:21 PM   #10

Help,

How do we find a previous post? Keith and Dee posted something in 2006. I replied Mar 8, 2006. Under Problem Solving, post 175821.

Was that before hack? I think that is where they posted pictures of their very nice front bunk cushions.

We will see if we can get pictures of what I did. I did it just before I saw what Keith and Dee did and preferred theirs (easier).

Nancy
Old 03-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #11

I found the post, I searched for cushions and posting by Keith and Dee D the only thing is the pictures have disappeared

I'll check it out, in the meantime here's the post: Boler Couch - anyone have a photo (Front Gaucho), looking for boler couch pics for my resto
Old 03-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #12

First I made the green to use on top of the original Scamp cushion.
It is 1/2 of a queen-size memory foam.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bunk1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	12270

The second picture shows the 24" wide high-density foam that replaced the original 18" Scamp cushion.
Had to use a filler-strip behind the 24" cushion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bunk2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	12271

Either configuration is better than what my husband sleeps on when he's out sailing.