Davis 1458 Air-Dryr 1000. Good? Alternatives? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #1
Nik

Name: Nik
Trailer: BigFoot
Colorado
Red face Davis 1458 Air-Dryr 1000. Good? Alternatives?

I'll be storing my 17' Bigfoot soon. This year it will live outdoors in the rainy Northwest. The people I bought it from had it covered with a soft, torn-up 'bag' cover followed by a waterproof tarp. I figure I'll do the same.

I'd like to keep the moisture down inside. I found the Davis Air-Dryr 1000 at about $55. Apparently it works. A regular heater I imagine would cause condensation, making things worse. Any experiences with this David unit?

So, with the Air-dryr, does one keep a window ajar? if so, why? And any alternative ideas? I plan to remove all the cushions for inside storage. Next year she'll have a garage. But still I will want to keep some kind of drying unit inside!

ps. She's been through the first rainstorm yesterday. No leaks at all. She'll be well covered. It's just the ambient air I'm worried about here in Oregon's westside.
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:27 AM   #2

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
I learned a trick from the boaters that had their boats sealed in plastic for the season. Place a 5-gallon bucket of charcoal briquettes inside to absorb moisture.
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:14 AM   #3
Nik

Colorado
That charcoal idea sounds great.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:32 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
A friend gave me his Davis that he had been using in his tug. I came to the conclusion that it was no better than a 60 watt bulb. It heats the air slightly, so the air can contain more moisture. The moisture itself doesn't go anywhere, isn't collected to be removed from the space. I tossed it out.
Replaced it with two Dri-Z-Air containers with desiccant that I bought in a half/gallon jug ( cheaper that way ). Moisture is removed from the air and collected in the container which is emptied every two or three weeks. I get about a cup of liquid in each Dri-Z-Air.
Attached Thumbnails
Dri Z Air substitute.jpg  
Old 09-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #5

Name: Tom
Michigan
I used Damp Rid when we stored our Scamp 13 outdoors under a Calmark cover. I actually used the smaller 10.5 oz. size, but your trailer is bigger and your environment is much damper. It worked very well. No mildew smells at all. I was advised to put the bucket in a pan in case it overflowed, but that never happened.

DampRid 64 oz. Fragrance Free High Capacity Moisture Absorber-FG50T - The Home Depot

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:40 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I use Dri-Z-air. Works good except here in the PNW (Pacific North Wet) you have to empty the liquid and replace the cheap pellets every couple of months. I don't use it much anymore since I take the trailer south during the winter.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:45 PM   #7

Registry
I just looked up Davis 1458 Air-Dryr 1000 and it doesn't appear to have a way to collect the moisture but just warms the air so it has a harder time condensing. A simple space heater should work just as well. I use a combination of a space heater and Dri-Z-Air. Dri-Z-Air actually takes the moisture out of the air.
I would think that using a Davis 1458 Air-Dryr 1000 would make the inside of a trailer here in PNW like a steam bath.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I would think that using a Davis 1458 Air-Dryr 1000 would make the inside of a trailer here in PNW like a steam bath.
I couldn't tell if it was even on.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:46 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I couldn't tell if it was even on.
Thanks Glenn.
It sounds like a good waste of a few bucks.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:50 PM   #10

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
Ditto on the Damp Rid. Have used it
for years and works well.
Not expensive either.
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #11
Nik

Colorado
Red face

Looks like Damprid wins this contest. Makes sense to me to pull the moisture out of the air. It's a very small space and will be well protected. I'll try a tub of this and check it in a month.
Thanks!
Old 09-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #12

This is Dri-Z-Air system, with cage for desiccant and pot under for liquid that results. Like others, I put mine in the sink or a pan in case of overflow ( which has never happened to me ).
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 3.04.07 PM.png  
Old 09-21-2017, 04:26 PM   #13

Registry
Dri-Z-Air at Amazon.com drizair

Cost $9.98 For the canister and almost one winters worth of crystals.
Crystal refills around $2.00 each package.
Large jug 60oz $13.00

Can't get much cheaper than that and it works quite well. I've used it for over 11 years.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:45 PM   #14

Name: Tom
Michigan
In addition to the Damp Rid, I opened up all the cupboards, drawers, fridge, etc., and propped up the cushions on end to allow better air circulation.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:32 AM   #15

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
We live in the Pacific Northwest and have a Bigfoot 17.5 which lives outside. We have always used the Davis air dryers in our boat, trailer, and areas of the house where airflow is less than optimal. There has never been an issue with mildew, dampness, or smells when using them. They last forever and no chemical dryers to replace. Never used a Dri Z Air but also never thought they would work well without some sort of air circulation. We also leave cabinets open and prop up cushions. The heat created by the dryer creates convection currents that keep the air moving. YMMV.
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:43 AM   #16
Nik

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead517 View Post
We live in the Pacific Northwest and have a Bigfoot 17.5 which lives outside. We have always used the Davis air dryers in our boat, trailer, and areas of the house where airflow is less than optimal. There has never been an issue with mildew, dampness, or smells when using them. They last forever and no chemical dryers to replace. Never used a Dri Z Air but also never thought they would work well without some sort of air circulation. We also leave cabinets open and prop up cushions. The heat created by the dryer creates convection currents that keep the air moving. YMMV.
Thanks Deadhead,
Do you also keep a window slightly open in the trailer? Ever put a cover or tarp around it? I think an open window would lose all the heat. And being as you're not trying to expel the moisture but just suspend it, I'm guessing keeping everything closed-in makes the most sense.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:51 AM   #17

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
We keep it closed and covered with a breathable cover. Last winter I also put a small heater on very low now that I think of it.
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:24 AM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I too use the larger Davis dryer inside , I set it on the sink cutting board and use a thermostat plug which is on @ 35 and off @45, I have a smaller one for the bath also, same plug.
https://smile.amazon.com/Farm-Innova...ds=thermo+cube
Old 09-27-2017, 09:54 PM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
This is Dri-Z-Air system, with cage for desiccant and pot under for liquid that results. Like others, I put mine in the sink or a pan in case of overflow ( which has never happened to me ).
I did that one time. I forgot to check it. It overflowed in to sink and down to U Trap where it froze and broke pipe. Just something to think about.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:58 PM   #20

Thanks for the 'heads up'.