"De"- winterizing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2003, 10:32 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
"De"- winterizing

I bought my 1996 16' scamp deluxe, with front bathroom, this spring. It still has the antifreeze in it. It didn't come with much of a manual (actually, none....), and I have since found one on-line. I've also read the tutorial on "winterizing." Being a total novice, however, I'm not sure what I need to do to reverse the process--i.e., flush the antifreeze out of the system. I sort of need a step-by-step tutorial like the one for winterizing. So far I have found the gray and black water outlets, the city water and fresh water tank inputs, but I'm not sure what needs to be filled and what needs to be opened. Do I just hook up the hose to the city water input, open all the faucets, sink and shower drains, and both tank outlets? What about the water heater? I want to do it right and not screw anything up... if some nice person out there with a high tolerance for dumb questions could help out I'd be soooo greatful! and thanks in advance..... I'm feeling a little boggled right now...:wak Michele

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 06:50 AM   #2

Michele- Greetings from another newbie......no such thing as dumb questions here!!! Since I am giving a seminar at the Rally on this subject (!!) I will chime in on what I have gleaned from my short experience and a bit of winter camping as well. I am hoping that more seasoned RVers will add to this.

You have it pretty much right- First, open the fresh water tank drain and get rid of the antifreeze in there. Fill up your fresh tank with water and let it drain to flush it out well. If your water heater has a bypass valve (imagine so) locate it and 'open' so that the water heater is not isolated (bypassed) from the system. Next, check the anode rod in the water heater to see if it is removed....If the previous owner fully winterized, it will be removed from the tank. If not, look for a large "nut" (1-1/16" on my suburban heater, not sure about atwoods). Remove the anode, teflon or anti-seize the threads and re-install.

City water will be more efficient in flushing the system, but as the fresh tank drains water, first run the pump a bit to clear it of antifreeze. Now hook up your city water and "bleed" each hot/cold sink line and the toilet supply separately until clear water runs. You should also hear the water heater fill when you hook up the city water (again, the pump will do it too but slower).

That's about it...........sounds alot harder than it is. Once the water heater is filled, I would try lighting it to be sure that the burner/venturi didn't become clogged through the storage season. Of course one should inspect tires, inflation, lug nuts, bearing grease and trailer wiring/lights when bringing the trailer out of storage. Better yet, go winter camping......it's a hoot. In the early/late winter seasons, I'll winterize but can still pull into a CG, hook up city water and "quick flush" the water system except the fresh tank and pump. I leave antifreeze in the water tank and when breaking camp simply run the pump to pull antifreeze back thru the system.....this takes about 5 min each way and extends the self contained season nicely! In these conditions remember to disconnect the city water hose, drain and cap before you retire since this is the first thing to freeze. I learned this thru experience....

Old 06-05-2003, 07:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Orginally posted by phil moldovan
In the early/late winter seasons, I'll winterize but can still pull into a CG, hook up city water and "quick flush" the water system except the fresh tank and pump. I leave antifreeze in the water tank and when breaking camp simply run the pump to pull antifreeze back thru the system.....this takes about 5 min each way and extends the self contained season nicely.!
Wow what an idea. I NEVER thought of that.

Do you ever use your onboard water tank? after you dump the antifreeze out you shut up the tank drain then fill again to weaken the antifreeze left, then drain again before use? right? I'm not sure if that's what you said or not.

Old 06-05-2003, 11:25 AM   #4

Hi Janifer...
I tend not to use the on-board water when winter camping because you will essentially have to do the full routine again when you break camp. It can be done, but be aware of ambient low temps when travelling in winter- you should be OK in moderate temps (20's and up?) with a fully operational system when camping if the heat is adequate inside. If freezing occurs I think it would be most likely while in transport. Exposed tanks and lines will be dealing with severe 'wind chill' factors when driving.
I leave about 3 gal of AF in the tank and pull thru till the spigots /toilet until it runs pink.

As for draining the water tank, I just leave the drain open after draining the AF and refilling with water. I will run 1 or two complete tankfuls thru it to purge all the AF. As an aside- I do not use fresh tank water for drinking or cooking during any season, just for washing, showers and the toilet. There is a PuR filter on the kitchen faucet, but instead I carry a couple gallons of purchased drinking water for potable uses. You just never know what you are getting when on the road..........

I am sure Charles can expand with authority on the nuances of winter camping.....

Old 06-05-2003, 11:49 AM   #5

winter camping

Wanna know what I think of winter camping?.... :censor --haha! You will never see me camping after a snowflake has fallen... After listening to my ex expounding on it's virtues and trying to get me to do it for 30 years.... Nope, not me... no way... never.... haha! :nope ...... Michele (on my way to camper with manuals in hand... I WILL conquer... I WILL master all these new words phrases, and concepts... I will... I will... yup.... watch me do it.... OK, OK, I'm going....) :conf

Old 06-05-2003, 02:12 PM   #6

where to dump the antifreeze

One more question... (for right now, that is)... My camper is parked in my huge blacktopped parking area. Is it OK to let the antifreeze drain out onto the blacktop? :shg Michele

Old 06-05-2003, 02:44 PM   #7

Dewinterizing

It should be ok to drain the water system onto the blacktop.
RV antifreeze is not poisoness or we wouldn’t be putting it in
the system in the winter. Before you hook up the city water
acquire a pressure regulator (40-50 lbs.) and attach it to the
city water faucet. Otherwise you have the possibility of
rupturing your onboard water system. The water regulator
can be purchased at Wal-Mart or any RV supplier.

Do it and go!