Decal Glue Remedy (s) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2015, 09:16 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1970l Airstream
New Mexico
Smile Decal Glue Remedy (s)

Howdy fello RV'ers. I have been studying the removal of the old decals from fiberglass mostly...I asked over at AIR-Forums and they said SHOUT (stain remover) would work good on the glue. I am not to sure about that! meanwhile I have been using rubber gloves and unleaded gas mixed with lacquer thinner to melt and remove the glue with the best success.
Gas is cheap here in Espanola NM . So far I can afford this much better.
But has any one ever come up with the absolute best way to get the decal glue off? Your input is appreciated
MisterBilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:40 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Lets see.... Gasoline + lacquer thinner + low humidity + rubber gloves + friction = static spark + BOOM..... I hereby nominate this as the bad idea of the day......

I'm guessing that you are removing entire decals, not just the residue adhesive.
There are a number of better and safer ways to remove decals including rubber "Eraser" wheels on a drill, a heat gun and a plastic scraper and just the careful use of a single edge razor blade. Google RV Decal Removal for a bunch of better ideas.

IF all you want to do is remove adhesive residue from naked fiberglass, a small amount of acetone on a clean cloth is fairly safe.

I earlier wrote of a very rare Volvo P-1900 molded fiberglass convertible that was burned to the ground when the owner was using gasoline for a cleaner.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:42 AM   #3

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBilliam View Post
Howdy fello RV'ers. I have been studying the removal of the old decals from fiberglass mostly...I asked over at AIR-Forums and they said SHOUT (stain remover) would work good on the glue. I am not to sure about that! meanwhile I have been using rubber gloves and unleaded gas mixed with lacquer thinner to melt and remove the glue with the best success.
Gas is cheap here in Espanola NM . So far I can afford this much better.
But has any one ever come up with the absolute best way to get the decal glue off? Your input is appreciated

Goo Gone or a similar product from the hardware store.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:47 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
My favourite decal and 'sticky stuff" remover is brake cleaner. Test the surface you are removing from first and wear hand protection but it works the best and fastest. I worked in a fleet shop for many years where every vehicle was decalled. The decal eraser worked good to remove most of the decal (although be careful using these on your gel coat). The final sticky residue was removed with brake clean.

On my trailer I use a heat gun set on low to soften the decal but don't overheat the fiberglass and then pull off the decal itself, then brake clean to remove the adhesive.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:02 AM   #5

Name: Andy
Trailer: Casita
California
Many adhesives employ multiple 'glue' agents' so that they will continue to stick when exposed to a single solvent. So, applying more than one cleaning agent may be required. Ronson lighter fluid should be your first choice. Cheep, easy to get and use. 99% isopropyl alcohol is your second choice. $3 at most drug stores and some supper markets. Finally, denatured alcohol dissolves lots of stuff, including silicone adhesive and calking.
These three safe and available chemicals can be mixed or used one at a time to remove most 'stickers' from most surfaces.
Be careful with lacquer thinner, in contains acetone. Acetone will melt many paints and plastics.
If all else fails, toluene and Methyl Ethyl Ketone (which is similar to Acetone) will dissolve/melt bonds that other solvents can't budge.
ONCE AGAIN I WARN, use these last fluids with great care or your decals will come off along with layers of your RV.
Andy
ArtWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler
3M makes a paste decal residue remover - also a rubberized buffing wheel that works pretty well. WD-40 also removes sticker residue.

Goo gone works pretty well too.
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #7
Commercial Member

New Mexico
I certainly am aware of blowing up. Plus breathing the gas vapors does not feel very good either. I take the decals off a certain way with a special blade. And the glue in some form or other is left behind. Soaking it and saturating it with gas makes the glue swell up and puff then I hit it with a very aggressive floor buffer pad. But its still dangerous. If brake cleaner will do it I will use that, also will try the acetone. Thanks all--back to work!
Old 04-03-2015, 11:57 AM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
The 3M™ Stripe Off Wheel is for removing dried, cracked vinyl decals/stickers. I wouldn't use it for intact decals or the residual glue. Here's my experience with the 3M™ Stripe Off Wheel.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oot-52784.html

For the residual glue I used brake cleaner and denatured alcohol (whichever I had handy - both work the same). I removed ALL the graphics on my vintage Bigfoot using the wheel, a heat gun and plastic scraper (for the decals that weren't totally brittle), and the brake cleaner/denatured alcohol for final clean-up. A lot of work, but effective.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1637_bigfoot_2015.jpg  
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #9
Commercial Member

New Mexico
Well I just got down from the ladder using the brake cleaner and an aggressive scuff pad...works great but you have to put thinner on a rag to pick or wipe it up before it starts(the glue) to set back up. Messy stuff- I despise vinyl.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:57 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtWrangler View Post
Ronson lighter fluid should be your first choice. Cheep, easy to get and use. 99% isopropyl alcohol is your second choice. $3 at most drug stores and some supper markets. Finally, denatured alcohol dissolves lots of stuff, including silicone adhesive and calking.

If all else fails, toluene and Methyl Ethyl Ketone
Andy
I would caution against using any of these products simply due to their flammability. Especially since there are safe non-flammable options readily available
Old 04-03-2015, 01:31 PM   #11

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
I own a sign biz & we use Rapid Remover to take off the adhesive residue after you remove the decals. Only use a plastic razor blade so you don't damage the surface while scraping off the decal! Goo Gone is also pretty good in a pinch. a warm sunny day is a whole lot safer that heat guns - a few minutes talking & not paying attention can be expensive to fix. we tried Vinyl Off, it's supposed to remove the decal & the glue, but it also took off the clearcoat & the paint from a vehicle.
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:54 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon_b View Post
I own a sign biz & we use Rapid Remover to take off the adhesive residue after you remove the decals. Only use a plastic razor blade so you don't damage the surface while scraping off the decal! Goo Gone is also pretty good in a pinch. a warm sunny day is a whole lot safer that heat guns - a few minutes talking & not paying attention can be expensive to fix. we tried Vinyl Off, it's supposed to remove the decal & the glue, but it also took off the clearcoat & the paint from a vehicle.
Good advice Sharon
Like anything you definitely have to pay attention to what you are doing, especially when, in this case, a heat gun is used.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:41 PM   #13

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I use a heat gun and a wood chisel to heat the vinyl and soften the adhesive. You can scrape most of the glue with the edge of the chisel. It will gum up and stick to the edge when it cools, but you can wipe it of with a coarse rag.
The heat gun I use is a high temp for electronic work, but the cheap Harbor Freight unit would probably work OK as well.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:21 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape
Vinyl-Off by Cystal Tek

Ok, so I removed and replaced all the decals on my former boler. I used this stuff and what a labour saver. Non-toxic, environmentally safe and no overpowering fumes.

Vinyl-Off by CrystalTek? Green products that work

The $12.00 bottle was good enough for my 13ft, but you may need more for anything bigger.
Grant Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:51 AM   #15

Name: michael
Trailer: still looking for the right one
Texas
ive removed hunderds of decals off firetrucks cars boats toolboxes and by far the best thing is called Orange Peel you spray it on and let it set a couple minutes and use a plastic or hard rubber scraper and it removes the sticker than spray some more peel on it and use paper towels and its gone no harm to anything ive ever put it on plus it smell good
littlebear is offline   Reply With Quote